Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wfishtx
    • Aug 2023

Matagorda Fishing/Boating Conditions

My son and I finally have some time off on Sunday and the weather looks like it might cooperate for the most part, so we're thinking of launching at the harbor that morning. I know the river is very swollen up near Columbus and its surely making its way to Matagorda (likely already there), so I'm curious what that will that do to the conditions down there related to safety? My plan was to likely stay in East Bay and not deal with/worry about crossing the diversion channel or the river to get to West Bay nor was I planning to fish up the river given the river conditions.

Any tips/tricks or things I need to consider navigating down there on Sunday? Surely we should be fine staying in East Bay, I would think?

I'm also open to any hot fishing spots in East Bay you guys are dying to share.....LOL
  • wfishtx
    • Aug 2023

For those interested. We made the trip down this morning only to learn that the ramps at the harbor were basically closed. All 4 were clogged with significant debris. A few diehards and probably a guide or 2 were risking it and launching in the debris. We passed on that option. Made our way over the bridge to check on our lot and discovered the locks were also closed. We can see the cut from the river to the diversion channel from our lot and it looked like a class 3 or 4 rapid going through there with a ton of debris being pushed through as well. Saw several very large tree trunks (4-6’ in diameter) floating down the river as well.

Needless to say, it was nothing more than a joyride down and back home this morning.

Hoping it’ll clear up by next weekend and we’ll try it again.

Comment

Working...