Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bandit1
    • Aug 2023

Elephants eat peanuts

Fishing Bandit Point in San Leon Saturday night, the water was extremely fresh and dirty. Its only around 5 feet deep there, so not much of an underlying salt layer. So to hedge my bets I set out a couple rigs with dead shrimp while a worked the crappie jigs for trout. Caught a couple keeper size lower slot specks, but not in the mood to fillet so back they went. Then a long period of nothing, and then something starts toying with one of the shrimp. I pick up the rod and give a little pressure, feel the fish at the other end and give him a little sting. Apparently he didn't care for that as he took off running, slow freight train style. After many minutes of cranking back and him pulling drag, I brought the beast beaten to the pier side. Only problem was, I was alone, the kids weren't handy to net. Being the handy guy that I am, I managed to balance the rod in one hand and scoop low with the other holding the net, by laying flat on the pier I was barely able to reach. I need to get a pier net, side note. 28 lb black drum. Called the kids down, they came and posed for some pictures, and then left without fishing.

So I get back at it, crappie jigging and big shrimpin', and after a while get a little tug on my bobber. So I give him a little sting, and wham! He takes off running, fast freight train this time. At first I'm thinking maybe its troutzilla back for round two, but the fight is not speck style. Its clearly a red, pissed and heading out to sea. I know I can't trust drag to fight it after seeing troutzilla destroy my light wire crappie jig a few weeks ago. So I flip the anti reverse off and proceed to backreel like a madman. Finessing the fish takes quite a while, and many minutes later I brought the beast to pierside. Again I do the dance of juggling rod and not quite long enough net, and up the fish comes, beautiful 12 lb red. Called the kids and they came down to pose again. Nothing else of note, one more small trout and then I was tired and called it a night.
    The artist formerly known as Johnbutte1

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms. - Thomas Jefferson
  • Bandit1
    • Aug 2023

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8294.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	76680 big ugly

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Bandit1
      • Aug 2023

Caught on light crappie rig.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8304.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	76682
      Last edited by Bandit1; 02-05-2024, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Bandit1
        • Aug 2023

Almost got me, held just long enough.

Name:	IMG_8305.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	76685

Comment

• Bandit1
          • Aug 2023

Elephants eat peanuts

Name:	IMG_8296.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	76691
          Attached Files

Comment

• Rainbowrunner
            • Aug 2023

Crappie jigs are fish crack. I tournament bass fished for years and the largest bass I caught were crappie fishing with jigs. Big yellow cats eat them too.
            My favorite essential oil is bacon grease

Comment

• Bandit1
              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Rainbowrunner
              Crappie jigs are fish crack. I tournament bass fished for years and the largest bass I caught were crappie fishing with jigs. Big yellow cats eat them too.
              That's awesome! I've caught many bass on them over the years and many channels, but no yellows. I think you're right, basically everything will eat them. Its crazy to me though that they are badly outperforming live shrimp under a cork.

Comment

• Kevin Nicholls
                • Aug 2023

When I throw crappie jigs, and I did Saturday night, all I caught was small trout. I know you hooked the great white whale a few weeks ago on one but I haven't caught anything with much size to them. Same with spec rigs. What's worked for me lately is throwing bigger profile lures in the lights. The key to success has been working them just below the surface where I can see them. I think it helps the fish see the silhouette from below. It also helps me find the lights that have fish around them. The Softdines, regular and XL's work pretty well, also Corky Fatboys. It always surprises me how many trout "bump check" your lure when you can see them. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.
                I don't have anything clever to write here.

Comment

• Bandit1
                  • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Kevin Nicholls
                  When I throw crappie jigs, and I did Saturday night, all I caught was small trout. I know you hooked the great white whale a few weeks ago on one but I haven't caught anything with much size to them. Same with spec rigs. What's worked for me lately is throwing bigger profile lures in the lights. The key to success has been working them just below the surface where I can see them. I think it helps the fish see the silhouette from below. It also helps me find the lights that have fish around them. The Softdines, regular and XL's work pretty well, also Corky Fatboys. It always surprises me how many trout "bump check" your lure when you can see them. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.
                  Will do. I got some of those grasswalkers and they look pretty good in the water, just need some more stable conditions and less rain. I get hooked on the crappie jigs b/c I know I'll get some action, even if it skews toward little fish. I'm going to try to mix it up more and see if I can get some bigger fish while the kids work the crappie jigs.

Comment

• Kevin Nicholls
                    • Aug 2023

That sounds like a good plan. I hope you get em.
                    I don't have anything clever to write here.

Comment

Working...