Visit and support our Site Sponsor

Barge hit Pelican Island bridge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Reba3825
    Member
    • Aug 2023
    • 281

    Barge hit Pelican Island bridge

    Just heard a barge hit the railroad side of the bridge. DOT has shut the bridge down.
  • OneDayScratch
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2023
    • 3067

    #2
    That's gonna suck a lot.
    BOT
    Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

    It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

    Comment

    • BullFish
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2024
      • 1

      #3
      Looks like the tide is moving pretty good too. the oil/ bunker fuel on the barge that is leaking is headed to the bay. Hope they contain it before it gets to far in.

      Comment

      • Reba3825
        Member
        • Aug 2023
        • 281

        #4
        They need to get on this quickly. Even a small spill will cause a big problem.

        Comment

        • TXXpress
          Member
          • Aug 2023
          • 482

          #5
          Saw some reports and some pics. Why was that barge moving through that area of the bridge? It's not near the draw bridge area. I thought the barge traffic traveled through Pelican Cut? And leaking on an incoming tide... Geesh!

          Click image for larger version

Name:	Barge-crashes-into-bridge-in-Texas.webp
Views:	489
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	107610
          Who needs a carnival freak show when we have the Galveston Wal-Mart?

          Comment


          • Hooked
            Hooked commented
            Editing a comment
            I had the same thought. Well off the channel/bridge opening and I didn't think barges went through there.
        • back lasher
          Member
          • Sep 2023
          • 138

          #6
          I saw a report from a helicopter hours after the strike and still no containment booms! WTF, is there any type of emergency plan? Our officials suck!

          Comment

          • Unknownstrohsfan
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2023
            • 700

            #7
            Originally posted by TXXpress
            Saw some reports and some pics. Why was that barge moving through that area of the bridge? It's not near the draw bridge area. I thought the barge traffic traveled through Pelican Cut? And leaking on an incoming tide... Geesh!

            Click image for larger version  Name:	Barge-crashes-into-bridge-in-Texas.webp Views:	146 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	107610
            Looks like that big chunk of the old railroad bridge just smashed the transfer manifold, not much of a leak, and no damage to the hold.

            Comment

            • OneDayScratch
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2023
              • 3067

              #8
              Looks like there's booms....

              BOT
              Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

              It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

              Comment

              • LouReed
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2023
                • 1443

                #9
                Originally posted by OneDayScratch
                I really hate when people don't know the difference between the Gulf of Mexico and a bay. An 8th grader would probably know the difference, yet these are the morons who filter the news.

                Comment

                • rdb
                  Member
                  • Aug 2023
                  • 276

                  #10
                  How did the barge get there? First video I saw there was no tugboat around. Did the barge break free or not moored correctly?

                  Comment

                  • BDGreen
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2023
                    • 1509

                    #11
                    Originally posted by rdb
                    How did the barge get there? First video I saw there was no tugboat around. Did the barge break free or not moored correctly?
                    News reports say the barge broke free while being towed.
                    "The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee, CSA

                    Comment

                    • TXXpress
                      Member
                      • Aug 2023
                      • 482

                      #12
                      Originally posted by BDGreen

                      News reports say the barge broke free while being towed.
                      Ahhh. I'd hate to be that tow operator. Check, check again, and check it a third time to be sure everything is connected correctly. Ex-trucking safety guy from decades ago here...

                      Who needs a carnival freak show when we have the Galveston Wal-Mart?

                      Comment

                      • I Fall In
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2023
                        • 1734

                        #13
                        Originally posted by TXXpress
                        Ahhh. I'd hate to be that tow operator. Check, check again, and check it a third time to be sure everything is connected correctly. Ex-trucking safety guy from decades ago here...
                        He probably forgot to flip the strap and say "yep that'll hold it".
                        Shoot the messenger before he delivers the bad news.

                        Comment

                        Working...