Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckweet
    • Aug 2023

Old bike

Neighbor left me this about 20 years ago. My good intentions of restoring have not materialized.

Western Flyer, sprocket with large teeth, apparently this ages it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	108576 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	108577 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	108578

any interest will donate. Tex wanted it few years back.
    In Katy.

• Txflats
    • Aug 2023

I'd be interested my co worker enjoys restoring old bikes.

Comment

• Boom!
      Boom! commented
      Editing a comment
      Does he do them for hire?
  • Boom!
    • Aug 2023

I am looking to get an old tandem rider schwinn restored if anyone has recommendations.

Comment

• Buckweet
      • Aug 2023

ok, one other guy is supposed to look at it, but sounded flaky, he was first. will give him opportunity and let you know. thanks

Comment

• Txflats
        • Aug 2023

Ok let me know!

Comment

• Txflats
          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Buckweet
          ok, one other guy is supposed to look at it, but sounded flaky, he was first. will give him opportunity and let you know. thanks
          Did he pick the bike up?

Comment

• texasair
            • Aug 2023

That bike is a mid to late 40's to very early 50's. Good chance it was sold at a Western Auto store,
            When restoring pay attention to the tire size. Many had 26 x 1 3/4 tires rather than 26 x 1.75 tires.
            Mathematically the 2 are the same, but they will not interchange. The rim sizes are different.
            The 26 x 1.75 are still plentiful, but the 26 x 1 3/4 are harder to find and cost more.
            It does have a standard 36 spoke pattern so lacing a new set of rims is a possibility.
            The Ashtabula crank bearings should be good with a clean and repack. The Wald headset bearings would be most suspect bearings on the bike, but should be available if needed. It is a pain but they can be replaced with loose balls rather than caged bearings if replacements are hard to find..
            It probably has a New Departure or Early Bendix coaster brake. Unless abused, bearings and brake should be good with a clean and repack.
            Front wheel bearings are probably generic loose balls easily replaced or cleaned and repacked. Clean the chain, soak it in hot motor oil and you are good to go.

Comment

• Hooked
              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Boom!
              I am looking to get an old tandem rider schwinn restored if anyone has recommendations.
              Sounds like Tex is your guy.

Comment

• Boom!
                Boom! commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup
            Working...