Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sharkchum
    • Aug 2023

Catching is just a bonus.

You just have to love our great state of Texas. We have endless praires, beautiful beaches, rolling hills, vertical mountains, lakes galore, coast lines that go on forever, and rivers that will take your breath away. If you're a outdoorsman, Texas has you covered, from trophy white tail, to blue marlin, Texas has it all. I was lucky enough to get off for a couple days and headed up to New Braunfels. Between here and Sargent we saw axis deer, black buck antelope, fallow deer, white tail, turkey, and javelin, and that was just on the short drive up. Once you take a right off of 46 onto River Road, it's like a whole new world. After I take that right turn, all my problems just fade away. The blue bonetts are in full bloom, road runners are searching for for food, the deer are feeding on the new spring forge, it's just beautiful. Once we reach our cabin at Rio Guadalupe it's like heaven. The view from the back is like something God himself painted. Emaculant green turf , leading to a crystal clear tail water river, with a sheer vertical rock cliff on the other side, what could be better. Enough of my literary escapeds, let's talk about why I'm really here, to catch fish. If I said I came up here just to catch fish, I would be lying. As you all know, I'm a fisherman, my goal is to catch fish, and to this end, I am a success. It doesn't matter if I'm catching blue gill with night crawlers under a bobber, or catching whaoo on high speed jets 100+ miles offshore, fishing is fishing. If anyone measures there fishing in numbers or size, they are missing the point. Fishing is about the experience, the getting back to nature, the thrill of the hunt, the beauty that surrounds us. I try to tell myself that I came here to catch rainbow trout, on a 5wt fly rod, with a 6x tippet "3.4lb test for the layman ", with flys I tied myself under a illuminated magnifying glass, but that's a lie, I came here just to be. Did I catch fish? Of course I did, more then I can count , but that's just a bonus. Sure, most of them are smaller than what I usually use for bait, and I spend hours in freezing cold water, and casting until my arm is about to fall off, but it doesn't matter when I open my eyes and see what's around me. How do you measure your success? If it's in numbers, or inches, or pounds, I feel sorry for you. Don't measure you happiness is what you're online friends think about you, measure it in what you think of yourself. Enough of my rambling, here's some pictures.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sharkchum; 03-02-2024, 09:48 PM.
  • Sharkchum
    • Aug 2023

Comment

• SGrem
      • Aug 2023

Awesome. Love it.

Comment

• Sharkchum
        • Aug 2023

Comment

• Sharkchum
          • Aug 2023

Comment

• FishingTwo
            • Aug 2023

Thanks for sharing and Great Pics!!
            "You'll Never Catch'em Like That"

Comment

• Sharkchum
              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by SGrem
              Awesome. Love it.
              Y'all need to come up here with little Grem next year, he would be a fish magnet. I'll even buy him his first fly rod.

Comment

• Sharkchum
                • Aug 2023

As a side note, and I know this will make most of you sick, me included . My boy and his girlfriend were supposed to come with us this weekend, but she had to work late yesterday. I'm sure most of y'all remember what it's like to be a young buck during the rut, and not wanting to get to far from the does. Anyway, he didn't come. I texted him about what he was missing out on, and he texted me back with a laughing face. They went offshore to catch some extinct snapper, and boy did they catch some whoppers. It's a good thing there not CCA members, I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow.

Comment

• RapturEd
                  • Aug 2023

Great Post, excellent description and pics of a great outing! Texas is Awesome!
                  Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                  And do not lean on your own understanding.
                  In all your ways acknowledge Him,
                  And He will make your paths straight.
                  Do not be wise in your own eyes;
                  Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.​

Comment

• Rg
                    • Aug 2023

TKS Chum enjoyed the photos and am especially glad you’re having a good time.

Comment

• I Fall In
                      • Aug 2023

I used to care about catching, but as I got a little older I learned to enjoy the journey. Fishing is my peace of mind, it doesn't matter if it's hundreds of miles south of San Diego in the Pacific or 2 blocks from the house in Lake Houston. I go fishing to clear my mind and like you said catching is just that, a bonus. I treat hunting the same way.
                      Life is good.
                      Shoot the messenger before he delivers the bad news.

Comment

• Batwing
                        • Aug 2023

WOW!! Great pics SC, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Inspector Scotty
                          • Aug 2023

Excellent post SC. New Braunfels has always been my favorite place to hang out and do what ever but always relaxing.

Comment

• TIMBOv2
                            • Aug 2023

Couple good size snapper right there
                            But mama said.

Comment

• Flounderface
                              • Aug 2023

Good stuff for sure, looks like a great time John!

Comment

Working...