Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pablo
    • Aug 2023

Old powder

What can you do with old reloading powder? We found a box full of it and old brass. Hercules, Hodgdon and DuPont.
    Attached Files
    I would have been born on a horse, but my mom had to get down and open a gate.
  • RapturEd
    • Aug 2023

Take it to the gathering and sprinkle it on the fire ...
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    And do not lean on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,
    And He will make your paths straight.
    Do not be wise in your own eyes;
    Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.​

Comment

• KWeber
      KWeber commented
      Editing a comment
      probably still good if its sealed good...

• Reality Czech
      Reality Czech commented
      Editing a comment
      What KW said
      All are popular powders and expensive
      If they smell like ether they are probably still good
      Sell them
  • Mrsh978
    • Aug 2023

Fire ants love it

Comment

• SmithRanchZ
      • Aug 2023

Shoot it. I'm shooting some powders from the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. I was shooting some 5.56 the other day from the early 80's. I have some 2400 in that same packaging, and some unique in even earlier packaging. It might dry out a bit, but it's not like a reasonable loading is going to destroy a modern weapon.

If it does not smell bad, shoot it.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
        WhiteBassFisher commented
        Editing a comment
        I have burned a lot of DuPont IMR 4350 in the past. Fresh to me smells similar to isopropyl alcohol.
    • Wado II
      • Aug 2023

If it smells like acetone or ether or even alcohol like WBF says it's probably good. Pour a little out in a pile and hit it with a propane grill lighter and see if it burns. They always say if it has an acidic smell or vinegar it might be tainted. If the kernels or flakes are getting a powdered appearance that is not good old powder will eventually break down and its burning rates will accelerate WWII ammunition has been known to degrade to that point. I just finished up some one pound containers of powder I bought early 90's that still shot well it didn't have an odor whatsoever. If it's all clumped up not worth messing with hopefully it was stored in a cool dry place. I have some Cascade primers I know are 45-50 years old never have had one fail. If you want to dispose of it they recommend burning don't flush it or throw it in the trash.

Comment

• Texas T
        • Aug 2023

sprinkle it around you yard, the grass will grow better.
        "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." George S. Patton

Comment

• RB II
          • Aug 2023

Powder off gasses and degrades over time even in climate controlled environment. Faster if not in climate control. I would not use it. Too low of a charge can stick a bullet, too hot and it can damage the weapon or more stuff. Not worth it, IMO. Even at today’s inflated prices, you are looking at maybe $25 per pound for that powder, if it is still made.

Comment

• Wado II
            • Aug 2023

If you don't know the history of it make a fire. I have had some mishaps with brass I picked up believe me I have thrown a bunch of it away. I date all the containers of powder when they were bought and when I opened them most of it is pretty fresh I emptied five pounds the last two years it takes a while to burn up a pound of pistol powder. Not if you have a Dillon progressive.

Comment

• Boom!
              • Aug 2023

I’ll use it in my bowling ball cannon. 😉

Comment

Working...