Protein Feed for WT's ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shinerlight
    • Aug 2023

We're cheap, and feed Fehner's 20% blend up in the hill country. We kill about as good as they are going to get up there. Crazy thing is we've tried cottonseed twice, and they simply won't eat it. We have no clue why.

Comment

• Shooter
      Shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same problem with cotton seed. I've tried exposing it to them very slowly and a hundred pounds at a time. They won't touch it.
  • Univ.of Hard Knocks grad
    • Aug 2023

Had peas growing before the deer finally ate some with the corn and started eating them. Not sure how to get expired govt. peanuts but I hunted near another members feeder that was throwing them. Almost every deer on the lease would walk all the way across the lease to get to that feeder even if the feeder had thrown that morning and not one peanut shell was left. That members BIL would bring them to him when they rotated the expired peanuts in the silos. I think it was every two years.

Comment

• Shooter
      Shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      I've planted pea's and the deer mowed them down. My problem this year is all the rain we have had. I can't get into the fields. Can't plant my millet for the dove either. Not complaining. I'd rather have the rain for the natural growth and the 150 year old oaks that have suffered over the last few years.

• Univ.of Hard Knocks grad
      Univ.of Hard Knocks grad commented
      Editing a comment
      Buddy put up cattle panels about a 1-2 foot apart parallel and planted beans and peas so the deer wouldn't eat them to the ground. Sais he had rabbits get what the deer couldn't. Guy from Louisiana said when young he was taught by his grandpa to hang tabacco leaves and mistletoe from tree limbs to attract deer.
  • BretE
    • Aug 2023

Rancher buddy was down at the ranch i hunt outta Batesville yesterday. Texted me and said the ranch was in the best shape he’s seen it in years for this time of year. I have high hopes for this season. I let two deer walk last year that will be studs if we can get the rain. We feed absolutely nothing but corn during season….
    I got nuthin….

Comment

• Texashookset 2
      Texashookset 2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same at our place after coming off the best spring last year in years. Natural forage everywhere again so the protein bill is down again. That’s a great thing.

• Shooter
      Shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      During season I do the same, nothing but corn. I do feed protein to help the doe along after they are bred and shut it off when the bucks start coming out of velvet.
      Last edited by Shooter; 05-09-2024, 09:38 PM.
  • Bukkskin
    • Aug 2023

If you already have them trained, just dump half a bag of protein pellets in there every day.
    16% is great but 20% is better.

Comment

• Bukkskin
      • Aug 2023

Alfalfa is a waste.
      They will not eat the stems and will stomp most of the good stuff into the ground.

Comment

• TIMBOv2
        TIMBOv2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I put a bale out last year and they never touched it.
        Wasted 30 bucks.
    • huntman
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by dwilliams35
      I've never been around it enough to have heard much of an issue, but anybody ever see anything about the gossypol poisoning/sterilization issues with cottonseed? I've always heard you just need to get them off it a month or two before the rut to avoid it..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033412/
      we have fed cottonseed for years with zero issues -

Comment

Working...