Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KWeber
    • Aug 2023

they found it....

heard quail calling the last few days, so I set up a water station under a pecan today....
    just an old hubcap w/a hose barely dribbling into it...pair showed up just now....bird feeder is close by and they checked it out, too...
    always seed under it....
    had the same set-up last yr and sometimes as many as 6-8 would show up early morn or late evening...
    I have a dirt tank about 300 yds away, so they've probably been there , too... never enough around to hunt, but I enjoy them....
  • Reality Czech
    • Aug 2023

Sixty years ago the Bobs were common out here

Now they are a rarity

A month ago I heard their call off in the distance

Farmer told me there are still a few coveys on the prairie a couple of miles to the east of me.

I miss those birds, along with jack rabbits and swamps

At least the whitetails have increased in numbers here
    Twilight Zone Refugee

Comment

• Bukkskin
      • Aug 2023

That’s cool Kurt. 👍
      I like watching quail too.
      I’m training some whitetails to eat corn before I release them. Got 3 turkey hens that fly into that pen and eat with them.
      I guess they done been trained.

Comment

• 2Ws
        • Aug 2023

How times have changed, when I was a kid my dad while sitting on my granddads porch would call them up then shoot their heads off with a 22, a few yeas later he showed me how to trap them in a wire box.......now you NEVER hear them here in S E Texas. He would always whistle like a quail before walking up on me sitting on a deer stand, he didn't want to get shot by an 8-9y/o with a shotgun.
        M R Ducks....M R Not....O S M R...C M WANGS....L I B...M R DUCKS

Comment

• Texashookset 2
          Texashookset 2 commented
          Editing a comment
          QRC-quail recovery units. Heard they work well. 😬
      • Juan
        • Aug 2023

Kweber youre a lucky man, I have tons of pecan trees and the hawks have wiped out all my quail and working on the rabbits !!!!

Comment

• KWeber
          KWeber commented
          Editing a comment
          mowers and shredders allow the hawks easier pickings...
          most of my area is un-shorn and weedy, plus a brush pasture just across the road...
          roadrunners are encouraged to leave my place, too
      • Wado II
        • Aug 2023

We have several pairs of quail that hang around here. Last year there was two big coveys that would come up in the yard every day I got a bunch of pictures and videos of them they got pretty used to us as long as we move slow and don't make noises. It's a wonder any of them survive with the hawk population and a feral housecat comes around some we have seen it over a mile in either direction from here. I saw a pair of foxes last year they would come right up to our house with us outside they must have moved their location after they cleared the fence line across the road from us. Poor little quail have it rough I won't go as far to say there is no shortage but way more than ten years ago here.

Comment

• jimk
          • Aug 2023

You guys probably remember the Atwater Prairie Chicken.
          Jak Sie Masz, Y'all!

Comment

• DEXTER
            DEXTER commented
            Editing a comment
            don't even dare mention the prairie chicken here

• Reality Czech
            Reality Czech commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember
            Half a century ago I flushed one here
            To anyone that has flushed quail, multiply that noise times 100
            Startled the heck out of me
            It landed a couple hundred yards away and did it's distinctive call, positive ID

• Buckweet
            Buckweet commented
            Editing a comment
            Drive by the refuge all the time, been 25+ years since i have pulled in. Need to do that again, they updated the sign few years ago.
        • Hooked
          • Aug 2023

When we moved here 46 years ago we would have a few quail come through the property on a daily basis. Haven't seen, or heard, any in well over 30 years. Too much clearing/building.

Comment

• Bocephus
            • Aug 2023

Back in the 60's & 70's when I was a kid growing up in Beach City (Trinity Bay area) there were lots of quail. But as the population, and building grew out there they dwindled to almost nothing. I doubt you could find a covey out in that area these days. But if there are, I'd be pleased to know it.
            I miss the America I grew up in.

Comment

• Wado II
              • Aug 2023

We saw the first hatchlings this weekend. Too quick to count them looked like a pretty good bunch. We got lots of predators this year the big hawks are really hanging around lots of cotton tails and baby jack rabbits around too.

Comment

• RRbohemian
                • Aug 2023

I hear them all the time down at my camp on Matty Peninsula. They come out all times of the year except when Quail season is open. Once Quail season closes they come out again. Love to hear them call.
                Why am I so cynical of the media and the government these days?

Comment

• OneDayScratch
                  • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Bocephus
                  Back in the 60's & 70's when I was a kid growing up in Beach City (Trinity Bay area) there were lots of quail. But as the population, and building grew out there they dwindled to almost nothing. I doubt you could find a covey out in that area these days. But if there are, I'd be pleased to know it.
                  It's been about ten or so years but I was on the deck drinking coffee when a juvy Bob hopped up and walked over to me. Got about a foot out of reach, turned around and walked all the way to the back of the yard before ducking through a hole in the fence.

Last time I even heard one.
                  BOT
                  Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

Comment

Working...