X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KWeber
    • Aug 2023

sabot slug ammo

cant find any anywhere...
    here's the deal.. in the early '90's I bought a Mossberg 835...one of the early ones w/the 28in UN-ported barrel...
    goose-gun but used it for everything..the origiginal blued/wood gun...it's slick as snot...so I bought a 24in rifled bbl from Mossy... they're chamber for 2.3/4 up to
    3.1/2in .. got a couple boxes of 3in federal fusion in 385gr about 1700fps.. gun shot them pert good.. can find any now...at one time lightfield made a 3.5 load, but I didnt get any...
    what I'd like to find is a 3in sabot load.. all places I've looked at are out of stock..
    Mumme's can get me 2.3/4.. gonna check a few other places...PS ...I've also added an 18in riot barrel w/ is slick, too...
    since the bbl is chambered for 3.5 I figger the longer shell might have better accuracy due to less free-bore.. altho it's a 1in36 twist, so maybe not...
    the loads Mumme's have on their catalouge are.. 300gr at 1890 f[s...2.3/4... so my old goose pumpgun can be a 45-70..
    the sabots are hollow point copper clad .45dia..300gr at nearly 1900 is a good 45-70...
    Last edited by KWeber; 08-25-2023, 05:09 PM.
  • SGrem
    • Aug 2023

Your talking about a half inch of chamber vs the remaining 20.5" of rifled barrel which is plenty to stabilize and give you accuracy.... a 3"-4" group at 120 yards or so is best you can hope for.

Comment

• KWeber
      • Aug 2023

it sits w/a 18.5in riot bbl on the porch and the under-tube is stoked w/5 4b ...
      " con no me chinga!"...

Comment

• KWeber
        KWeber commented
        Editing a comment
        I did add a 1/2in Akton lace up recoil-pad just to keep it down a little.. plus add some LOP...
    • Mocity31
      • Aug 2023

Is this what you're looking for? Used these in Iowa. Don't hunt there anymore. No need for them unless there's a zombie apocalypse. They'll put your eye out kid. Kick so bad the scope will bite you in the eye

Comment

• Mocity31
        • Aug 2023

Lightfield sabot
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mocity31
          • Aug 2023

Better pic
          Attached Files

Comment

• KWeber
            KWeber commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah sit on them... i figger something to deal w/milage...
        • KWeber
          • Aug 2023

full-house 3.5 will give you a fat lip if you aint holding tight... and those were 1.3/4oz goose loads...
          there are 2oz turkey loads out there...
          along time ago I intentinally doubled a rossi coach gun stoked w hi-brass 1/1/4oz loads...
          still have a small scar where the ray-ban glass cut me

Comment

• Mocity31
            Mocity31 commented
            Editing a comment
            I still have a scar over my eye from that Mossburg rifled barrel with scope. A rushed shot with an awkward stance and next thing I know there's blood running down my face. Amazing the knockdown power of those slugs. Blows a 200lb plus animal down and bounces
        • Hunter11
          • Aug 2023

I have a Mossberg 12ga with a rifled ported barrel and a Nikon Slughunter 3x9x40 on it. I use Federal Power Shok Sabot Slug 438 gr. and have it sighted in at 100 yrds. Killed many pigs and a few deer with it. The last time I bought slugs for it I got them at Palmetto State Armory.

Comment

• KWeber
            • Aug 2023

yep Hunter my rifle bbl is also ported...dont think they come any other way..
            the 28in shotgun bbl is NOT ported, but the newer one are..
            the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag is really open to all kinds of conversions... I need to scheudle a hook-up w/ MoCity and get those Lightfields...
            this aint a man-bun gun...

Comment

• Univ.of Hard Knocks grad
            • Aug 2023

Dad said they could only use shotguns in Illinois back in the sixties. Not sure if buckshot was legal. I think I still have the 12 gauge 1 oz. slugs he bought back then. Once shot a Master Lock w/ a 20 gauge rifled slug to get it off a chain. Lead splattered back into my leg and pushed the lock into the ground. After figured out just could of ground the rivets and lock would of just fallen apart.

Comment

Working...