Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wado II
    • Aug 2023

Savage Stevens 334

Made it here yesterday and did the transfer I haven't had time to shoot it just cleaned the outside a little the stock had something sticky on it and the bolt was coated with something for corrosion most likely. Cleaned it up and lubricated the locking lugs and friction points a little. Still need to run some patches through the barrel it appears to have been test fired there are some brass marks on the bolt face. It looks pretty good, the metal has a bead blasted finish and is more of a phosphate rather than blued treatment about like most AR barrels look. Dull not shiny, a hot salt blue would really look good with the wood furniture. Then they kill the whole thing with a plastic trigger guard that seems to be normal now on most factory low end rifles. Trigger is non adjustable but isn't terrible. They claim a two stage but it's more like a long pull single stage with very little overtravel. Pull gauge read consistent five pounds four or five times in a row. I actually thought it was less nut not according to my gauge, I call it a soft five pounds OK for hunting a little tough for bench shooting. I'll have to dig a little deeper into it when I shoot it as soon as I clean the barrel I will stick the bore scope in it. The action itself kind of looks like an Accuracy International copy if you compare the two. AI guns are pretty darn expensive at least they copied something like them. It takes some effort to close the bolt I guess that's a good thing as long as metal chips don't appear on the friction areas. I always keep the back sided of the bolts locking lugs lubricated with a light grease just don't get any in the chamber. That's about it for now the price was sub 400 smackers until taxes, shipping, insurance and lifetime warranty still less than 500. And it has a scope rail already saves searching for one of those but only one three round magazine. I have to resize pictures , blahh.
  • Wado II
    • Aug 2023

Lets see if this works Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	55535 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	55536 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3342.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	55537

Comment

• Wado II
      • Aug 2023

Sixty degree bolt three locking lugs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3339.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	55541

Comment

• Wado II
        • Aug 2023

Shooting is put on hold. Cows are hanging around my place I shoot and now when they see me drive out in the field they come running. Owners grandsons fed them from their Gator this weekend now they figure I have some cubes for them.

Comment

• Wado II
          • Aug 2023

I pulled the barreled action out of the stock today. I had plans of taking the front sling stud out and replacing it with an Atlas rail section for a couple of different bipods I have that require a rail to attach. First, the action screws were King Kong tight book says 60 pounds they aren't kidding. It has a pillar bedding system with a recoil lug block really a good set up for a cheap rifle. The front stud is a lag screw type and is centered in a narrow web of wood in the barrel channel. No way to drill it through and install a T Nut and the rest of the barrel channel has been machined out to reduce weight where the back screw needs to go is just too thin. I have a couple of Harris bipods so not a problem I can get an adapter to attach a rail to the stud also.
          I tried to mess with the trigger adjusting screw and cancelled that too. They put some kind of super thread locker on the threads and I don't want to heat it maybe after I am satisfied with the way it shoots I will. It's not too bad I have a couple of rifles with heavy triggers like I said it's a soft five pounds and when it goes it goes very little over travel. The barrel on this thing needs to be a couple of inches longer and a little heavier I might get it threaded for my suppressor if the gunsmith I use is still in business. He can thread barrels without removing them from the action.

Comment

• Wado II
            • Aug 2023

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20231218_11_18_19_Pro.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	58721 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20231218_11_16_58_Pro.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	58722 Stuck my borescope in it today. The barrel has a little bit of chatter marks it's better than some factory barrels I have looked at. I cleaned it with plain ole Hoppes and a nylon brush a few days ago today I am going to hit it with some Patch Out and Iosso and Kroil after that. There is some copper fouling in it from the factory I might have to do a break in cleaning whenever I start shooting it. Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20231218_11_16_28_Pro.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	58720

Comment

• Trouthunter
              Administrator
              • Aug 2023

The bolt shouldn't be hard to close buddy. I'd look at that hard.
              Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• Wado II
                • Aug 2023

It's fine, better than being loose. Lubricating the locking lugs on your bolt is very important most people overlook this. Lots of friction there.

Comment

• Wado II
                  • Aug 2023

And it depends on how you operate the bolt. Push it straight in until it stops then apply some downward pressure to close it. If you push forward and down it is more difficult to close.

Comment

• Wado II
                    • Aug 2023

I have never had one of these 60 degree bolt throw rifles. I'm used to Mauser's.

Comment

• Wado II
                      • Aug 2023

Already posted on the wrong topic. I shot it today center target was 50 yards sight in others were 100 with two types of ammunition. It definitely likes one better. Guess which one. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3359.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	61958 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3357.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	61959

Comment

• Stammster
                        • Aug 2023

Life’s too short to own cheap rifles or drink cheap beer.

What’s it chambered in?

Comment

• Wado II
                        • Aug 2023

Guess I forgot that. This one is a .243 Winchester. They make a .308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Mixed reviews on YouTube and different forums. Tru Blood Savage guys won't even talk about them being they are cheap Turkish junk, at least that's what they say. It must have been my lucky day for bore sighting. The first shot at fifty yards hit the center circle just off center. I forgot my rear bag too and was shooting it with a Harris bipod on the front with my vest under the back for support. Once I went back and got my rear bag it was shooting right a little first shot was luck. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	62076

Comment

• Wado II
                          • Aug 2023

The ammunition it shot better is this from Norma. At 100 yards it shot a little higher and right with a 50 yard zero. The final target top right was after some scope adjustment. That scope has mil dials, I like 1/4 moa dials a lot better I'm no sniper and I'm not crazy about first focal plane scopes either I have two and might put them up for sale. Pretty disappointed with the Hornady all of those shots felt good I was pretty steady and with a 25x scope no excuses..243 Win TIPSTRIKE 76 gr 20 QTY | Norma USA

Comment

• Wado II
                            • Aug 2023

Since I received this rifle the shooting channel YouTubers have blown up doing reviews on this model. It's interesting to watch an "expert" do an analysis of these types of items. I do know a few things about my specimen, for one it has minimal headspace and a semi short throat portion of the chamber. I have the tools to measure this because I handload. I had one factory Hornady round that would not chamber at all. I quit firing any of that stuff and started measuring and found the Hornady brass is almost .004 longer than the Norma I was shooting. When I pulled the bolt out after the first range session there was a little sliver of brass on the bolt face and that kept the bolt from closing on the longer brass. I did clean the bolt and tried another one and could close the bolt but it was tight. It's not the first time I have run into oversized brass I had some Monarch .357 Magnum one time that locked up a Ruger revolver I had. I got the cylinder stuck with that junk in it had to take it back to Kenneth Eller in Victoria he got the pin out and removed the cylinder. There was a rumor the barrels for these rifles are produced by Bergara but it's the internet nothing is what it seems there. I have learned a few things buying firearms made in other countries for one the chambers can be slightly different. These things worry me more than if the stock is pretty or the metal finish is shiny.

Comment

Working...