Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

S&W J Frame Trigger Work

It seems many people like the very light S&W pistols for personal protection. They are very light and small, and without an exposed hammer they should draw easily.
    I have had one a few years, which I bought new, and the trigger is God awful. I have read some lately where people just suggested dry firing a lot. One who claimed to be S&W certified says dry fire without snap caps is safe. But, I used snap caps for my own peace of mind. The trigger is just too terrible. I am to the point of wondering whether there is a factory defect it is so bad.
    Any gunsmiths you know of and suggest that are good with these?
  • Wado II
    • Aug 2023

I bought a lighter spring for our Smith And Wesson hammerless airweight. It definitely made a difference I installed it myself only thing is some primers are harder than others and might get a light strike. So far I haven't had any not fire and used several brands. With the spring I installed I found I could easily stage the trigger pull. When I say stage I mean I can pull it to where the cylinder indexes and stops then a shorter pull to fire. I did lots of dry firing after I installed it.

Comment

• Wado II
      • Aug 2023

This is the one I got. Wolff Shooter's Spring Pack S&W J-Frame Reduced Power (midwayusa.com)

Comment

• Wado II
        • Aug 2023

Another thing about shooting these small pistols. Don't get too obsessed with trying to be Elmer Keith with one. I quit trying to hit paper plates at fifty feet and got some B27 targets and go for center mass. NRA Official Silhouette Targets B-27 (24) 50 Yard Paper Black/White (midwayusa.com)

Comment

• Wado II
          Wado II commented
          Editing a comment
          When my wife shoots hers she usually hits the target right about the crotch. She hasn't shot it in a long time she used to jerk the trigger hard and duck the pistol.
      • WhiteBassFisher
        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Wado II
        Thank you. I bought a Wilson Combat set of springs, which I considered trying to install. I believe the Wolff and Wilson are very similar. Very likely identical with different labels.
        But now I think I should have a smith look into it instead of me trying it. I picture springs flying off never to be found again.
        I have changed out complete triggers in bolt action rifles, no problem. But, those rifles are used for hunting or target shooting, not for self defense.
        Online research indicates what you said, that the springs really help.

Comment

• Wado II
          • Aug 2023

It wasn't hard to do there is a pistol smith somewhere around Rosenburg I don't know where you are located a friend of mine took his Ruger revolver to him to slick it up. It took two trips he got the pull too light and had light primer strikes with the first springs. Being it's a revolver taking it to someone with a reputation would be a better solution I have a 686 plus that had a trigger job done it is excellent and I don't know who did it. Someone in the Victoria area I bought it at Dons in Victoria. It's a different trigger than a single action only.

Comment

• SGrem
            • Aug 2023

The trigger job is a must on those.
            Lose the snap caps.... sit in front of the TV doing come to target and dry fire drills. Dry fire it on the commute.... get in a quarter million dry fires....

Comment

• Trouthunter
              Administrator
              • Aug 2023

Dry firing a center fire revolver won't hurt anything. If you want the trigger pull lightened I can do that for you.
              Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
                • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Trouthunter
                Dry firing a center fire revolver won't hurt anything. If you want the trigger pull lightened I can do that for you.
                I really appreciate that! However, I discovered a Gunsmith just across the lake from me in Pointblank. I am going to give them a try with my 340 PD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	340PD.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	73293

Comment

• dwilliams35
                  • Aug 2023

I'm quite often of in the camp of “let it suck”.. given what you’re using a gun like that for, to heck with it, let it be a monster pull, make sure you REALLY meant to pull the trigger. More target- and competition-aimed guns, sure, but a J-frame Smith will rarely even enter that conversation..

Comment

• KWeber
                    KWeber commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree...trigger pull wont be an issue in a very tense situation...
                    maybe an average woman might need a little lightening acct hand strenght
                • Wado II
                  • Aug 2023

The spring I installed in ours definitely did not make it a competition pistol. Still plenty of control, I would say it helped for practice use. Even shooting it from a rest it's not easy to keep five shots on a paper plate unless you are pretty close. What aggravated me was my wife ducking the front of the pistol when she fired it. I guess a crotch shot with a 158 grain bullet is better than missing a head shot. We haven't fired ours in a couple of years I probably can't hit anything. When we took our CHL class one of my wife's co workers took the course with a S&W snubbie. Outshot her son shooting a full size semi auto. Next time I am at either Mumme's or Harrisons I need to get some B-27 targets or a big cardboard box for a target.

Comment

• On The Hook
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by WhiteBassFisher

I really appreciate that! However, I discovered a Gunsmith just across the lake from me in Pointblank. I am going to give them a try with my 340 PD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	340PD.jpg Views:	42 Size:	14.1 KB ID:	73293

they make an extended grip that isn’t really long, but it gives you a much better grip and more control. Last I looked they were $20 or so. It’s a worth while mod that doesn’t destroy concealability. I think it helps a bunch with trigger control.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4059.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.0 KB ID:	73995

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4060.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	73996
                    Last edited by On The Hook; 01-28-2024, 09:48 PM.
                    I do stuff !

Comment

• Wado II
                      • Aug 2023

When we bought ours I added a laser grip. It was smaller than the factory grip luckily I took it back to Ronnie at R&M and got store credit. I need to look into that larger grip I don't think that is what came on our pistol that laser grip didn't cut it.

Comment

• On The Hook
                        • Aug 2023

I like the hogue. There may be other brands, but the hogue just seems to work good. It’s not an arm and a leg like some grips and it changes the dynamics it a good way. If for some reason you don’t like it, you can sell it or giv it away and not be out much. It’s a game changer for me. Lots more control. I think smith makes some too that works good as well.
                        I do stuff !

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
                          • Aug 2023

I have this Hogue on it now.Click image for larger version  Name:	Monogrip.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	74037

Comment

Working...