Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CSN
    • Aug 2023

Deer Feeder Legs Size

I'm putting together some crank-up feeder. Boss Buck recommends 1 1/4" Schedule 40 x 14' long. What say y'all? No cows or pigs will be leaning on the legs, and they of course will be 55 gallon drums (7 bags of corn).
    I told them we’ve already got one
  • DEXTER
    • Aug 2023

1 1/4" sch 40 minimum size IMHO.

Comment

• BretE
      • Aug 2023

Go with a “stand-n-fill”, so many advantages…we replaced every feeder with one…mid to late season when they start getting empty, we’ll take 6 or 7 buckets of corn to the stand we’re hunting and add to the feeder. When you get the big depression under the feeder that turns into a big mud hole, they’re easy to move….no more ladders needed…
      I got nuthin….

Comment

• poco jim
        • Aug 2023

I totally agree with Bret on this one, it's a no brainer!!!!!!

Comment

• CSN
          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by BretE
          Go with a “stand-n-fill”, so many advantages…we replaced every feeder with one…mid to late season when they start getting empty, we’ll take 6 or 7 buckets of corn to the stand we’re hunting and add to the feeder. When you get the big depression under the feeder that turns into a big mud hole, they’re easy to move….no more ladders needed…
          I agree and would really like too, but I’m starting from scratch on a new hunting location with four feeders, four rifle blinds, several bow stands, etc, etc, and budget is definitely a consideration. I can rather inexpensively convert two of my feeders to crank-up, so that’s going to happen. I’ll be doing some “used stuff” shopping since deer season is over and it should be a buyer’s market. If I can get a bargain on some stand n fills, I definitely will.

Comment

• dwilliams35
            • Aug 2023

Have you really done the math on that "inexpensive conversion"? The 1.25" is probably a bare minimum on that, I agree: that's a hundred and thirty bucks worth of pipe right now. That of course goes up fast if you get some bigger pipe, which I wouldn't consider in the "bad idea" category. Not sure about cost for winches, cable, pulleys, plus of course labor time to assemble all this. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get painfully close to just going to Bucee's and getting one of their "stand and fill" feeders and be done with it.. Those are pretty cheap considering..

Comment

• Chuck Richey
              • Aug 2023

I replaced all of ours (12) with stand and fill. We dropped two winch ups in one weekend (broke winch and bad cable) that would have seriously hurt someone. More I thought about it, the cost of the feeders compared to emergency room trip or worse was a no brainer.

Comment

• dwilliams35
                • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Chuck Richey
                I replaced all of ours (12) with stand and fill. We dropped two winch ups in one weekend (broke winch and bad cable) that would have seriously hurt someone. More I thought about it, the cost of the feeders compared to emergency room trip or worse was a no brainer.
                I've never quite trusted the winch-ups: just something about 300 lbs. plus hanging overhead that gives me the willies. That, and I still remember shoveling a full load of corn once when a cow brushed up against the winch dog..

Comment

• CSN
                  • Aug 2023

Originally posted by dwilliams35
                  Have you really done the math on that "inexpensive conversion"? The 1.25" is probably a bare minimum on that, I agree: that's a hundred and thirty bucks worth of pipe right now. That of course goes up fast if you get some bigger pipe, which I wouldn't consider in the "bad idea" category. Not sure about cost for winches, cable, pulleys, plus of course labor time to assemble all this. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get painfully close to just going to Bucee's and getting one of their "stand and fill" feeders and be done with it.. Those are pretty cheap considering..
                  I already had some of the components, so two will be crank-up for now. I do appreciate the input, because, you are definitely correct, the price of pipe is astronomical now. I am seriously considering two stand n fills for the other feed pins.

Comment

• Trouthunter
                    Administrator
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by BretE
                    This...did that years ago. Still have one winch up feeder down in the river bottom though due to flooding.
                    Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• tec
                      • Aug 2023

FYI. I have four GreenGo stand and fill feeders and they are great. A few years ago they were $550. Last year I paid $750.

Comment

• dwilliams35
                        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by CSN

I already had some of the components, so two will be crank-up for now. I do appreciate the input, because, you are definitely correct, the price of pipe is astronomical now. I am seriously considering two stand n fills for the other feed pins.
                        That'd be a good place for just getting some used/less than prime pipe or out of a surplus yard or something...

Comment

• KWeber
                          • Aug 2023

wait! yall buy new pipe for deer feeder legs? I give my guys old windmill pipe...and they cut it how they need it

Comment

• dwilliams35
                            • Aug 2023

Originally posted by KWeber
                            wait! yall buy new pipe for deer feeder legs? I give my guys old windmill pipe...and they cut it how they need it
                            As long as it's big enough, unless it's a big well it's likely 1": that's not big enough for a winch-up in my book.. Maybe legs under a regular feeder, but not the 15' long tripods..

Comment

• DEXTER
                              • Aug 2023

DWill around here windmill pipe is 2" - 2.5". You must be thinking electric submersible pipe and it's 1".

Comment

Working...