• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reality Czech
    • Aug 2023

Summer of Bugs ?

Already getting buggy here.

Wet Springs will do that

Seeing a lot of Wooly Bear caterpillars, more than usual, and I usually see them only in the Fall.

Fireflies were out this evening while I was setting out a new game cam

I haven't hear any cicadas yet, they will probably crank up later this week when the temp climbs to near 90
    Copperheads love those things

Not many dragonflies yet, hope they show up soon, skeeters are a bother right now.

Sow/pill bugs are everywhere, in biblical plague numbers
    Good thing Sevin dust kills them so easy.

One good thing, not one biting gnat or deer flies seen yet, I hate those things

Just wondering, how are the blood suckers on the coast?
    Do I need to buy a couple more cans of repellent or a case??
    Twilight Zone Refugee
  • 9121SS
    • Mar 2024

Here in Montgomery we have tons of caterpillars too. More than I've ever seen. Skeeters are starting to show up in the evenings. Wasps and bees are showing up as well.

Comment

• Rubberback
      Rubberback commented
      Editing a comment
      Caterpillars are thick here. I did see a firebug the other night. I love those things.

• 9121SS
      9121SS commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't remember the last time I saw fire bugs.
  • Bill
    Akula
    • Aug 2023

I have a Wooly Bear I've been watching for several days. He has only been moving about 2 feet max a day. Easy to see on white rocks, just eating some wild plants that have grown (going to pull them once he is done LOL) Thought about putting him/her in a old fish tank to watch and see what happens. I'm surprised the birds have not got it.

Comment

• OneDayScratch
      • Aug 2023

Seeing wooly bear activist in the road everyday. I just plow right through them.

Do need some dragonflies. We get aerial and truck spraying but it's not doing anything since the ground is still damp.

Skeeters can lay dormant up to seven years. They're like mogwai (except they're never cute) get them wet and they turn into monsters.
      BOT
      Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you
      ​

Comment

• LouReed
        • Aug 2023

No big swarms of skeeters here, but I'm in Houston, not the coast, and all the rain barrels have a piece of BT dunk in them. Other than water bowls at a couple of neighbors houses, which get refilled every day (two feral cat trap/neuter/feed ladies within a block) there isn't much, if any, standing water around here.

Wooly black caterpillars are more prevalent than I've seen in years though.

Comment

• TIMBOv2
          • Aug 2023

Wooly's bout ate my taters up, liquid 7 took care of them.
          Gnats like a SOB.
          East Matagorda County
          But mama said.

Comment

• I Fall In
            • Aug 2023

Lots of woolys around here as well, I think they ate all the Crappie.
            Shoot the messenger before he delivers the bad news.

Comment

• Buckweet
              • Aug 2023

Two years covered up in these, Tent caterpillars i think, not sure. But thankful this year only seen few. Took all year to clear out the cocoons they made. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	101533

Comment

• Reality Czech
                Reality Czech commented
                Editing a comment
                Gypsy moth caterpillars
                Those bastages defoliated a couple of my nuttall oaks 3 years ago
                The trees recovered
            • OneDayScratch
              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Buckweet
              Two years covered up in these, Tent caterpillars i think, not sure. But thankful this year only seen few. Took all year to clear out the cocoons they made. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	101533
              Geeze. Got a bass pond?
              BOT
              Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you
              ​

Comment

• KWeber
                • Aug 2023

wet spring?
                Wado and I havent see that so far....super dry...

Comment

• Reality Czech
                  Reality Czech commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry Kurt
                  But my duckies need water
              • SmithRanchZ
                • Aug 2023

Here, barn flies showed up early in the year. Now, tons and tons of butterflies. Wasps about the same.

Far more grass, wild flowers, weeds, thistle, etc. Pepper weed, in particular, is having a banner year. Too early to determine grasshopper levels.

Been a relatively wet Spring, and hopefully, more on the way this weekend.

Comment

• catndahats
                  catndahats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  early invasion of flies here in Comal County---I've tried everything to keep them away from the porch where we sit all day---without success. At least there are virtually 0 mosquitoes.
              • Juan
                • Aug 2023

Worst June Bugs I have ever seen here this year, my pools i have to clean skimmers twice a day

Comment

• DIHLON
                  DIHLON commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are off the chart here as well
              • SmithRanchZ
                • Aug 2023

Last Spring, we had cattle up near the house thru about July 1. Flies and more flies til it dried out.

I dosed the back porch with Pyranha Stock Guard. Siding, door trim, exterior of doors, metal and wood exterior furniture. It seemed to knock them back a good bit. Lasted two weeks or so, assuming no rain.

If we were out there w/o the dog, flies would mess with us. But, if the dog was out there, they swarmed him and kinda left us alone. Poor dog.

Comment

• Tsip
                  • Aug 2023

At my place, it's been the little black fruit/drain flies that have taken over. So far I've kept them out of the drains, but the little super-evasive bastards are all over outside and in the garage, and get in the house. I was cursing one the other day that had the whole damn world to fly around in, but no, it had to fly right into the corner of my eye. I about dropped my beer.
                  Unrecoverable Saltoholic

Comment

• TIMBOv2
                    TIMBOv2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Had the same thing happen to me. Bastard was buzzing my head, got close enough for me to jerk my head away from it and it seemed to have sucked the lil sumbitch into my right eye.
                • Shaky
                  • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Tsip
                  At my place, it's been the little black fruit/drain flies that have taken over. So far I've kept them out of the drains, but the little super-evasive bastards are all over outside and in the garage, and get in the house. I was cursing one the other day that had the whole damn world to fly around in, but no, it had to fly right into the corner of my eye. I about dropped my beer.
                  Yep, the little bastages seem to be really prevalent this year already!

Comment

Working...