Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouReed
    • Aug 2023

Informative Weekend

As I have said before on here, one of my brothers is an Electrical Engineer. The kind that makes computers go or, in the case of my brother, stuff related to NASA and then for most of his career, defense.

I have also recently talked on here about a nephew (son of the other brother) who is in the Army and recently got deployed to protect against the drone/rocket/missile barrage by Iran that targeted Israel.

Well, this weekend I learned of a connection between the two.

Visiting the EE brother, we were talking about our nephew and what he did in the Army, which is coordinate/operate a Patriot Missile Defense Unit. So, my brother tells me a couple of things he did years ago, but was always behind a security clearance that did not allow him to discuss what he did when he did it.

Turns out, many years ago, the company he worked for at the time developed the tracking radar that tracks, selects and targets incoming missiles as used in the Patriot Missile Defense system. Then, years later, but still a while back, my brother worked on a US version of what Israel had done to one-up our system with a prioritizing adaptation - to determine what was not going to hit anything valuable - and not waste defensive weapons on something that was going to hit a field of turnips.

Turns out, in between those two things, my brother had also worked on such a prioritizing software for the FA-18s weapons defense system to choose the biggest threat and shoot at that first. So they just adapted the FA-18 stuff to the Patriot system, which is kind of what the Israelis did.

So now my nephew is using what his uncle developed over about a 30 year timespan.
  • DIHLON
    • Aug 2023

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• BDGreen
      • Aug 2023

That's pretty cool.
      "The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee, CSA

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
        • Aug 2023

That is very interesting to me. It also makes me wonder what they have now that is secretive enough they don't let us know. I can't imagine what is going on.

Comment

• Matt
          Matt commented
          Editing a comment
          Need to know basis. Deal with things on the daily that I don't know deep details because on some of those projects I don't NEED to know to move it forward.
      • LouReed
        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by WhiteBassFisher
        That is very interesting to me. It also makes me wonder what they have now that is secretive enough they don't let us know. I can't imagine what is going on.
        When I was in college, a political science professor of mine, when talking about how the US Constitution was written and the readings our forefathers were inspired by, referred to the concept of how some of the necessary the powers of a Sovereign (king) could be adapted to a Democracy. One thing that was written in and is necessary, is the concept of once they are elected, with respect to national defense, leave them to do their job. There are certain things that should not be public information for fear the information could leak into the wrong hands & cost us dearly. We don't want the Russians or Chinese to know. This was not intended to harm us, but protect us.

The thing is, do we need to know how the sausage is made? I do not think so.

When it comes to National Defense and our military, all I need to know is they aren't giving billions for what really only costs millions. Other than that, torture away.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
          WhiteBassFisher commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree that in that case it must be secretive. I just think I would be shocked to know how advanced some of it may be.
      • TXXpress
        • Aug 2023

Thanks for sharing !
        Who needs a carnival freak show when we have the Galveston Wal-Mart?

Comment

• SafetyMan
          • Aug 2023

Very cool and interesting work!

Comment

Working...