Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unknownstrohsfan
    • Nov 2023

Bicyclers!!!

Okay, I gotta say this is one of my new pet peves, First off at one time before we made special roads for bikes, it was not only assumed that you would obey the rules of the road, because it was the law, you did it because you didn't want to get runned over, seems logical. Now bicyclers not only ignore the law, they have the law blocking traffic on major highways, during bicycler events, that pay these guys to break the law, Kicking a 5000 lb moving vehicle is stupid, the reason he did it is stupider. Never have did the whole run the block thing , but it has crossed my mind.
  • Br549
    • Sep 2023

I don't know what event you are referring to, but there are two things that instantly raise my blood pressure bicycles riding side by side or taking up a lane, and cars driving in the rain with flashers on.
    Families or kids in the neighborhood, no problem.

Comment

• Dookie Ray
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Unknownstrohsfan
      Okay, I gotta say this is one of my new pet peves, First off at one time before we made special roads for bikes, it was not only assumed that you would obey the rules of the road, because it was the law, you did it because you didn't want to get runned over, seems logical. Now bicyclers not only ignore the law, they have the law blocking traffic on major highways, during bicycler events, that pay these guys to break the law, Kicking a 5000 lb moving vehicle is stupid, the reason he did it is stupider. Never have did the whole run the block thing , but it has crossed my mind.
      I feel the same way about kayakers in the channels in the marsh when you gotta stay on plane to get through! Along with kayakers that paddle between me and the shoreline I'm fishing towards.

Comment

• OneDayScratch
        • Aug 2023

A work acquaintance just lost his grown son last week training for a triathlon riding on a known heavy truck roadway.

Don't know specifics but am having a hard time understanding a terrible ordeal in which pursuing a hobby leaves your wife and kids to fend for themselves.

Suppose I could be on a boat in the middle of the GOM and capsize and do the same.

That said, not too often a big tanker clips a small boat.

Just a sad deal for sure.
        BOT
        Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

Comment

• JSimpson
          • Aug 2023

Wife and I used to ride bicycles in Houston a lot in our younger days. We always observed stop signs, etc and made every effort not to impede vehicle traffic. The attitude that is so common with bike riders nowadays just makes me sick. So many think they own the roads, immune to traffic signs and just generally completely disrespectful to vehicle traffic.

Comment

• KWeber
            KWeber commented
            Editing a comment
            most seem to have a sense of entitlement.. and just plain rude...that little flashing light will
            NOT protect you...4 wheels trump 2... 18 runs the table
        • Da Reel Daddy
          • Aug 2023

idk if cycles use the road but be respectful and considerat
          "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Deuteronomy 31:6

Comment

• Newtron
            • Aug 2023

Nothing ever wrong with being respectful and considerate. I would appreciate the same be it in the grocery store parking lot, FM road, highway during the MS 150 or what not. It’s easy to hate. Harder to try to understand. I get entitlement being a problem but I’m sure we all have some entitlement situations. The people who pass me up or cut in front of me with a wife giving birth or a dying parent. Mine are just different from theirs. Mine are right. Theirs are wrong or maybe not…
            it’s all about perspective. Food for thought.
            Never mind. Bicyclers suck. Diesels rolling coal. Fishermen towing their boats a little under the speed limit. You decide.
            Carry on.
            We’d love to help you out. Which way did you come in?

Comment

• BDGreen
              • Aug 2023

Waller County has become a meca for bicycle rides/races and it's a huge problem. Most of our roads are two lane and have a lot of curves where I am. It's danged near impossible to pass a group of 20 to 30 riders or more without taking a chance of hurting someone.
              "The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee, CSA

Comment

• KWeber
                KWeber commented
                Editing a comment
                file a complaint w/the SO...usually it takes a fatality, tho, to see anything change...
                and the corpse is almost always wearing spandex

• LouReed
                LouReed commented
                Editing a comment
                I know of two cyclist deaths on Waller county roads in recent years, one a coworker. He was riding inside, "protecting" his mother and a few other riders and was technically on the shoulder, though only by a foot or so.
            • SmithRanchZ
              • Aug 2023

I was caught behind some ag eq. the other day. Huge tractor pulling a trailer filled with hay, two lane road, hills and curves, and he was doing about 15 mph.

Sure, I could curse and swear, proclaim that the tractor pays no road taxes, doesn't pay registration, etc. Or, be cool, share the road, and recognize that the world does not revolve around me. Perhaps consider that I am hurrying just to hurry, and a few minutes of my time is nothing.

Comment

• KWeber
                KWeber commented
                Editing a comment
                well when I was the ag equip operator, I did try to move over when I could w/out running down mailboxes...
                be glad it was a tractor and not a mule team....lol

• BDGreen
                BDGreen commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a whole 'nother ball game. We're looking at one, maybe two pieces of equipment while bicycles a running 20 to 30 bikes long.

• Boom!
                Boom! commented
                Editing a comment
                You couldn’t pass a single tractor moving 15mph? I could do that on my scag. 🙄
            • rdb
              • Aug 2023

Why bicycle on busy highway/roads during rush hour when you know it is dangerous.

Comment

• Wado II
                • Aug 2023

They have been doing lots of bicycle events in my area on these ranch roads. All gravel and lots of miles at least they aren't on the major paved roads with all the vacuum trucks and oilfield traffic. They are even showing up out here just doing practice rides maybe they are tired of becoming highway pizza.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                • Nov 2023

meant to put this link in my OP. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...yFAgXtFxPbLZSX

Comment

• Mrsh978
                  • Aug 2023

Pain in the ass around here. If using public roads - they need to carry insurance and have vehicle inspections just as the rest of the world. They impede the normal flow of traffic and create dangerous situations with oncoming traffic when “trying” to go around them

Comment

• dwilliams35
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by BDGreen
                    Waller County has become a meca for bicycle rides/races and it's a huge problem. Most of our roads are two lane and have a lot of curves where I am. It's danged near impossible to pass a group of 20 to 30 riders or more without taking a chance of hurting someone.
                    They'd help themselves a lot if they just stop at stop signs (I really don't care that your feet are clipped in, it's still a stop sign), stop riding multiple abreast (I really don't care that you want to have a conversation, it'll save your butt) , stay out of the main lanes when there's a paved shoulder (I don't care that it's rougher pavement, it's also saving your butt), and just being basically a little more cognizant of the fact that there's people that need that road every day for their livelihood, and your recreation is impeding that. There's a reason that it's called "farm to market road": there's actual laws that give farm equipment and such right of way in a lot of instances there..

Our end of the county has seen a fairly good drop-off in the bike population since they ironed out a couple a few years back and they didn't think we were sufficiently empathetic to their plight, but there's still plenty out there attempting suicide every weekend.
                    Last edited by dwilliams35; 05-02-2024, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Hooked
                      • Aug 2023

Several years back we(tax payers) spent millions $$$$ to build a special hike/bike 'road' between 518 and NASA 1, including a 30' expansion to the bride over Clear Creek. I can count on my fingers (and maybe a couple toes) how many people I've seen using that stretch since it was built.
                      I do still have to watch out for a few bikers riding on the main road though. Nothing has changed that I can tell.

Comment

Working...