Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ox Eye
    • Aug 2023

Computer mystery

Day before yesterday my computer refused to load-up. The little white dots just kept going round and round. Took it to the shop and they kept it over-night and checked it out. Said it needed around $300.00s worth of rebuilds. For that kind of money I could pretty much buy a brand new one. So, this morning I go and pick it up and bring it back home. Damnedest thing, as you can see ... it works today!
  • Daddyeaux
    • Aug 2023

I don't think you are going to get much of a computer for $300. Sometimes you just have to turn them off and back on and they are fine.
    If it flies........it dies

Comment

• dunedawg
      • Aug 2023

I did the same thing. I bought a new one and my old one started behaving again.

Comment

• Univ.of Hard Knocks grad
        • Aug 2023

Looking for my wife's on/off switch and praying it works on humans ha ha.
        My computer lost power due to storms today and is running completely different.

Comment

• poco jim
          poco jim commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmao, let us know if you find the wife button 😉
      • Ox Eye
        • Aug 2023

What I am using is an HP desktop that I got to maintain my customer base way back when (and during the time) I owned my own Pest Control company. It was just after the original Dos Frio Website was created that I started using it to keep up with the site. So, it's been around a while and I've surely got my money's worth. And, at the present time, it's still functioning .... at the moment.
        Last edited by Ox Eye; 05-02-2024, 07:41 PM. Reason: I should point out that I occasionally go in and a clean out stuff that's no longer of interest.

Comment

• Trouthunter
          Administrator
          • Aug 2023

Make sure that all of your Windows updates are installed and that you don't have any updates that are not.

The computer may have been doing an update and you weren't patient enough.
          Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• I Fall In
            • Aug 2023

I'm standing by, you know just in case.
            Shoot the messenger before he delivers the bad news.

Comment

• Matt
              • Aug 2023

Everything mentioned is just shot in the dark guessing. Logs rarely lie.

Comment

• Batwing
                • Aug 2023

Please dont do this anymore. I just went through his with my 86yr old mother. Harddrive went out on an 8yr old desk top wqith windows 8. She spent over $300 to get it back and its still the same old 8yr obsolete hunk of junk. Here is a brand new Dell laptop starting at $279 which is perfect for you to browse the internet and do email.

Shop Dell 15 Inch Inspiron 3520 Laptop with immersive FHD viewing experience. Featuring latest 12th gen Intel Core processor combined with HDD or PCIe SSD options.

Comment

• Trouthunter
                  Administrator
                  • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Matt
                  Everything mentioned is just shot in the dark guessing. Logs rarely lie.
                  Yea Matt...explain to him how to check the logs
                  Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• Ox Eye
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Trouthunter
                    Make sure that all of your Windows updates are installed and that you don't have any updates that are not.

The computer may have been doing an update and you weren't patient enough.
                    I get Windows updates all the time ... done whether I want them or not ... but none have ever taken over a day's length to install. Not sure what the problem was (or if it will reoccur) but I don't think Windows was to blame. 🤔

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                      • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Ox Eye

I get Windows updates all the time ... done whether I want them or not ... but none have ever taken over a day's length to install. Not sure what the problem was (or if it will reoccur) but I don't think Windows was to blame. 🤔
                      power outages often start the updates when a restart is needed, and you did the "remind me later" option 27 times, then when you hit the go button, the update is started involuntarily, and takes a bit.

Comment

Working...