Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Papasnbeer
    • Aug 2023

The Heat

Shoreacres and Seabrook police are back! Not the 146 speed traps like before. But they’re there. Slow your roll.
  • OneDayScratch
    • Aug 2023

Yeah, too nice a roadway not to congest it up with some po po and folk.
    BOT
    Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

Comment

• Bocephus
      • Aug 2023

Shore Acres used to be really bad. I figured then it was the only source of revenue that little town had.
      I miss the America I grew up in.

Comment

• OneDayScratch
        • Aug 2023

Yup, reminds me of Diboll years ago.
        BOT
        Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
          • Nov 2023

More like Splendora, that Shoreacres CMV cop is/was a real professional.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
            • Aug 2023

And Patton Village back in the day. I believe a big change was caused by US-59 becoming I-69. I don't think they can dictate the speed limit now. But look at the map, LOL. Obviously they wanted revenue from the highway.

Taken from the net: PATTON VILLAGE, TEXAS

Patton Village, Texas, neither disbanded its police force nor disincorporated itself. But the place still warrants special -mention.

The town annexed a mile-long strip of U.S. 59 in 1971 and promptly embraced highway robbery, deploying unmarked police cars and radar guns. It became such a well-known Texas speed trap that a state representative introduced and successfully passed legislation in 1989 to cap the money that small towns could generate from traffic enforcement at 30 percent of their total budgets. During its peak, Patton Village raised more than 90 percent of its annual revenue from traffic tickets.

The Patton Village police chief, David Broussard, was so aggrieved by that legislation that he went on a 12-day hunger strike to try to persuade the governor to veto it, subsisting only on "coffee, water and an occasional beer."

"I don't know what more I could do to open people's eyes," Broussard said, according to United Press International. "Someone has got to take a stand for poor folks."

Thankfully, Broussard's stunt did not sway the governor, who signed the legislation.

Also: Patton Village was marred in 2012 by a corruption case that resulted in the arrests of the town's former mayor, city secretary, court clerk and four police officers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Patton.Village.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.6 KB ID:	104540
            Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 05-04-2024, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• TXXpress
              TXXpress commented
              Editing a comment
              That's exactly what that zoning was for... Generate revenue period. 40+ years also!
          • WhiteBassFisher
            • Aug 2023

Jim "Tortuga" used to mention Kendleton Texas on US-59 south as being bad too. Quick research shows it was as bad as Patton Village.

Comment

• fishguru00
              fishguru00 commented
              Editing a comment
              It was bad. I would do the Houston to Victoria often. Speed limit through there…
          • SGrem
            • Aug 2023

Pawpaw always called em The Fuzz

Comment

• Chuck Richey
              • Aug 2023

The CMV inspections need to step it up. With what I see being driven on the road they should have plenty of income. Years ago I was called in for Shoreacres jury duty. The judge at the time told us that the commercial vehicle vehicles/officers can ONLY give citations to CMV's. If that's still the law they should pass that along to the city of Pasadena.

Comment

• Bill
                Akula
                • Aug 2023

Keels and Wheels weekend`

Comment

• I Fall In
                  • Aug 2023

Originally posted by WhiteBassFisher
                  And Patton Village back in the day. I believe a big change was caused by US-59 becoming I-69. I don't think they can dictate the speed limit now. But look at the map, LOL. Obviously they wanted revenue from the highway.

Taken from the net: PATTON VILLAGE, TEXAS

Patton Village, Texas, neither disbanded its police force nor disincorporated itself. But the place still warrants special -mention.

The town annexed a mile-long strip of U.S. 59 in 1971 and promptly embraced highway robbery, deploying unmarked police cars and radar guns. It became such a well-known Texas speed trap that a state representative introduced and successfully passed legislation in 1989 to cap the money that small towns could generate from traffic enforcement at 30 percent of their total budgets. During its peak, Patton Village raised more than 90 percent of its annual revenue from traffic tickets.

The Patton Village police chief, David Broussard, was so aggrieved by that legislation that he went on a 12-day hunger strike to try to persuade the governor to veto it, subsisting only on "coffee, water and an occasional beer."

"I don't know what more I could do to open people's eyes," Broussard said, according to United Press International. "Someone has got to take a stand for poor folks."

Thankfully, Broussard's stunt did not sway the governor, who signed the legislation.

Also: Patton Village was marred in 2012 by a corruption case that resulted in the arrests of the town's former mayor, city secretary, court clerk and four police officers.

Click image for larger version Name:	Patton.Village.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.6 KB ID:	104540
                  Yeah they were the worse. Got pulled over there once I think for a taillight. I was in my van with my family, young kids at the time. He took me out of the van and told me to go to the back, that's when I saw his partner standing off to the side looking like a prison guard, riot gun to the ready. All this for a faulty taillight. I've always treated LEOs with respect but all I could do there was shake my head. Not only were they overstepping their boundaries being on the highway, they were also very unprofessional and on a power trip.
                  Shoot the messenger before he delivers the bad news.

Comment

Working...