Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

Infant Swimming Resource

Obviously the number one rule with kids around water is to be with them and watch them carefully. But there are instructors who can teach really little kids who fall in water to turn themselves face up and float and kick, possibly saving themselves. My daughter sent me a video of my youngest grand kid, a 26 month old boy, doing just that. Maybe everyone else knows about this, but I did not. It is called ISR for short.

This tells more about it. : https://www.infantswim.com/
  • Topcat
    • Aug 2023

There is no excuse for any kid to not learn to swim by the time they are 3 or 4. With all the water around the coast and all the swimming pools it is just common sense that everyone knows how to get out of it alive. How early did you folks learn to swim? I'm pretty sure I learned before going to kindergarten, it was at the Macgregor Park public pool.

Comment

• Landlocked
      • Aug 2023

Both of my kids knew how to swim before they knew how to walk.

Look up…Water Babies.

Comment

• Landlocked
        • Aug 2023

Kinda cheesy but you will get the idea.

Comment

• OneDayScratch
          • Aug 2023

Yup threw both of my then one year olds in the deep end and waited till they started bobbing.

They could fully tread water in minutes and float on their backs almost immediately with a little help from me or mom....then without.

Daughter was jumping off the diving board by two.

No fear.

BOT
          Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

Comment

• Landlocked
            • Aug 2023

Just looked at your link. You can absolutely do that. The only reason my daughter had a problem was that she started sucking her thumb while peacefully floating on her back like a cork at 6 months.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
              • Aug 2023

I agree wholeheartedly about kids needing to know how to swim. I still found this interesting though. We are so far south that the swimming season is long here.

Comment

• fishguru00
                • Aug 2023

My dad started taking me fishing when I was 5. His father drowned saving him on a fishing trip. My parents took me to a swimming instructor by the name of Phil Hansel. Everyone needs to know how to swim. My wife and I have couple of grandchildren, 5&3. .We have a house on the water and I’m really paranoid about them falling off the pier. Every year we volunteer to pay for the lessons, money well spent.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                  • Nov 2023

The YMCA used to give classes for kids as small as toddlers if you are even close to water they need to know what to do, and not panic as soon as they can crawl good.

Comment

Working...