Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Capt Mike
    • Aug 2023

Hill Country Recommendations

Heading that way. We will be in the general vicinity of Lost Maples,,Harper,,Junction,,and Camp Wood. Would enjoy some recommendations on drive in primitive camp sights, scenic drives,,and some good hikes or stops. We fire up the grill every evening but a good lunch stop would be enjoyed. Thanks in advance
  • bg
    • Sep 2023

337 from Medina to Camp Wood is a must see. Spend a little time in Utopia and Leakey if you can, the diner in Utopia has good pie. In Tarpley, there's a place called Mac and Ernie's, it's only open for dinner Fri and Sat but it's worth a stop if you're close, the food is excellent. I like the quail.

Comment

• mstrelectricman
      • Aug 2023

The RR 337 from Medina to Camp Wood is the best. It’s 3 sections and all have a few miles that are interesting. Like said M&E’s is good for chow and a few places in Leakey.
      For camping Concan comes to mind.
      Electrifying our customers since 2001.

Comment

• KWeber
        • Aug 2023

dont expect to see rivers of cool, flowing water...
        watch for bikers (they're becoming a peststilance)...83, 337 and other hwys have pull-offs.. usually worth a min or two to check out...
        some roads are open-range w/cattleguards.. no big deal, just watch out...
        Last edited by KWeber; 05-05-2024, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• bg
          • Sep 2023

16 between Medina and Kerrville is pretty nice as well.

Comment

• CSN
          • Aug 2023

SH16 between Kerrville and Medina. The apple fixin's at Love Creek Orchards are awesome.
          A Taste of the Texas Hill Country
          I told them we’ve already got one

Comment

• mstrelectricman
            • Aug 2023

As mentioned the 16 between Medina and Kerrville is kewl. There is a short section of it that switchbacks up and then down the hill there.
            That short section makes it worth the ride.

Fact is people in general are the "pests" mentioned above. There are FAR MORE "pests" in cars and trucks than those on bikes.
            The "pests" are that b/c There are way more people now than when I was younger.
            Another fact is this applies EVERYWHERE. More people= more "pests!"
            Electrifying our customers since 2001.

Comment

• BDGreen
              • Aug 2023

337 from Medina to Leakey & lunch. The Bent Rim Grill used to have a danged fine cheeseburger. From there stay on 337 to Campwood and turn right on 55. Take that over to 335 all the way to 41 and turn right. Go to 83 and stop at Garven Store. They have good jerky and the place has been there forever. Head south on 83 to 39 and turn left. That will take you to 27 and into Kerrville. Take a right on 16 and back down through Medina and over to Bandera. Stop at OST for one of the best CFS in Texas.
              "The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee, CSA

Comment

• bg
                • Sep 2023

Since we're talking about pests.... Please don't be that person that drives 45 in a 70 with 20 cars stacked up behind you. We get it, it's beautiful out here and you want to go slow to take in the scenery but...some of us live here and have places to be. Fortunately, there are lots of turn outs or wide shoulders along all the roads so if you want to go slow, please pull into/onto one when someone faster comes up behind you and let them get on their way. There is nothing more annoying than trying to get home after being gone all day only to have to sit behind someone who is driving 20+ below the speed limit taking in the scenery for 20 miles or more. A lot of these roads, you can't safely pass on unless the vehicle in front of you moves out of the way.

Comment

• Cubera
                  • Aug 2023

May have meant bicycles.
                  That old adage that states "If you want something done right you must do it yourself!", didn't quite hold true regarding my latest surgery.
                  EPSTEIN DID NOT KILL HIMSELF.​

Comment

• Hooknbullet2
                    • Aug 2023

If you are in Leakey on Tuesday…..

Chickin' Earls, Leakey, Texas. 1,333 likes · 1 talking about this · 135 were here. Chickin' Earls upholding the tradition of fresh fried "just like Mama made" chicken!

A friend of my bought this place in Concan last year. He says the pizza is really good. I haven’t been yet.

Hippie Chics River Shack LLC DBA-Hippies & Hops, Concan, Texas. 10,125 likes · 89 talking about this · 4,401 were here. A unique grill serving up fabulous food on River Road in Concan, Texas...

Comment

• dwilliams35
                      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Cubera
                      May have meant bicycles.
                      They’re bad too. motorcycles are just bicycles with noise.

Comment

• Cubera
                        • Aug 2023

Might be interested to know more Harley riders are involved in fatal accidents than crotch rockets and bicycles.
                        Reason is probably because rocket riders although they usually run faster tend to pay closer attention to the road. Harley riders seem to be more prone to have been drinking or looking at the scenery and not paying closer attention to the road.
                        Comes from the local constable that I talk to.
                        That old adage that states "If you want something done right you must do it yourself!", didn't quite hold true regarding my latest surgery.
                        EPSTEIN DID NOT KILL HIMSELF.​

Comment

• dwilliams35
                          dwilliams35 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can see that, plus just the fact that you can't make a heavy cruiser dodge a homicidal buzzard or hog nearly as well as you can with a sportbike.

• mstrelectricman
                          mstrelectricman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Fact is this biker don’t partake in those drugs so I don’t ride impaired so…
                          But yes, a lot of ‘em do and I won’t ride with em.
                      • Bandit1
                        • Aug 2023

In Camp Wood, there used to be Two Fat Boys BBQ, now appears to be Canyon BBQ. Was really good as two fat boys, can't speak to how it is now. Highly recommend going to Lost Maples Winery, fun drive and great wine.

Edit, check to make sure Lost Maples is open, google suggests it is temporarily closed but reopening sometime this spring.
                        The artist formerly known as Johnbutte1

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• dwilliams35
                          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Hooknbullet2
                          If you are in Leakey on Tuesday…..

Chickin' Earls, Leakey, Texas. 1,333 likes · 1 talking about this · 135 were here. Chickin' Earls upholding the tradition of fresh fried "just like Mama made" chicken!

A friend of my bought this place in Concan last year. He says the pizza is really good. I haven’t been yet.

Hippie Chics River Shack LLC DBA-Hippies & Hops, Concan, Texas. 10,125 likes · 89 talking about this · 4,401 were here. A unique grill serving up fabulous food on River Road in Concan, Texas...

We did hippie chics last summer, it was good stuff.

Bent Rim Grill in Leakey is pretty good, good hamburgers and such, if you don't mind dealing with all the bike riders...

Comment

Working...