Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Txflats
    • Aug 2023

Trailers with no titles

Been looking for a small trailer to carry a couple kayaks down to the bay house and just leave it down there for short trips to the water. Everyone selling that i've talked to says no title bill of sale only don't you have to have a title to get registered and plates or will a bill of sale work?
  • Djwag94
    • Aug 2023

Here ya go.

Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Logo
    Type of Trailer————————————————————————— Proof of Ownership
    New trailer Manufacturer Certificate of Origin*
    Used trailer over 4,000 lbs. gross weight Certificate of Title
    Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
      • Nov 2023

Got 3 trailers that have never been titled, one is home made by me, one alledgedly homade by me, the other has a VIN # (boat), with bill of sale. They are pretty accomodating at the tax office when it comes to collecting unneeded tax money.

Comment

• coachlaw
        • Aug 2023

Untitled trailers are mostly the rule here in Texas. I've owned 9 trailers and the only one with a title came from Academy and that was part of the purchase price. You do need the registration info from the seller so you can get a plate for it. The tax office is not accommodating AT ALL if there is no registration info. You used to be able to register anything, until a new law was passed a couple years ago about trailers. Anything un-registered (not having a license plate) has to be inspected (for my area, I would have to go all the way to HOUSTON to have it inspected) to make sure it isn't stolen, then they would assign a VIN I would have to etch onto the trailer. I ended up selling my headache for very cheap to avoid having to do all of that. I explained the problem to the buyer in detail, but they didn't care. He said he had no intention of registering it anyway.
        From 1970-1997, true Heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thans for buying the Camp."

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
          • Nov 2023

Originally posted by coachlaw
          Untitled trailers are mostly the rule here in Texas. I've owned 9 trailers and the only one with a title came from Academy and that was part of the purchase price. You do need the registration info from the seller so you can get a plate for it. The tax office is not accommodating AT ALL if there is no registration info. You used to be able to register anything, until a new law was passed a couple years ago about trailers. Anything un-registered (not having a license plate) has to be inspected (for my area, I would have to go all the way to HOUSTON to have it inspected) to make sure it isn't stolen, then they would assign a VIN I would have to etch onto the trailer. I ended up selling my headache for very cheap to avoid having to do all of that. I explained the problem to the buyer in detail, but they didn't care. He said he had no intention of registering it anyway.
          Two words, HOME MADE, basic description, basic color, if there is a vin # take it off. net weight <4K, sign me up.

Comment

• coachlaw
            • Aug 2023

Unfortunately, the law that was passed 2 years ago disallows the homemade thing. Unless you have the registration papers, you have to get it inspected. Now before November of 2022, the homemade thing was the deal. They were extremely adamant about this at the court house. I even tried other cashiers.
            Last edited by coachlaw; 05-05-2024, 03:07 PM.
            From 1970-1997, true Heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thans for buying the Camp."

Comment

• 9121SS
              • Mar 2024

About a year ago a good friend of mine bought a homemade trailer that hadn't been registered. His wife took it to Conroe to be inspected. She said the officer looked for a vin # around the tongue area, checked the lights and called it good.

Comment

• dwilliams35
                • Aug 2023

I had to do the “homemade thing” with my BBQ pit, it truly was homemade, from scratch. It was a pain in the butt, had to get a 10 day tag and ultimately dragged it around for about 150 miles before i collected all the assorted elements for the registration. As i understand some counties are much easier than others to go that route, but I guess i picked the wrong county.

Comment

• bg
                  • Sep 2023

Farm trailers and those under 4,000 total gross weight don't get titles. Get a Bill of Sale and the most recent registration receipt and you'll be good.

Comment

• Txflats
                    • Aug 2023

Well apparently nobody has titles or registrations on marketplace and just driving around without plates. Just like the idiot that hit my truck the other day no DL or insurance and constable didnt even want to write him a ticket had to plead with him so at least this guy would have to pay a ticket. Guy that hit me wanted my insurance LOL said hell no.

Comment

• 9121SS
                      • Mar 2024

I think a lot of people have one plate and switch it from trailer to trailer as needed. I have two trailers. One titled, one regerstered.

Comment

• Shinerlight
                        • Aug 2023

I have 6 trailers in my yard, the only one with a title is on my newer bay boat, the rest never had one.

Comment

• Bocephus
                          • Aug 2023

Remember when trailer tags were like $10 a year for registration? It's nothing but a money grab these days....

I miss the America I grew up in.

Comment

Working...