Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pistol58
    • Aug 2023

Caught in a Twister Menard TX

My son and I took a last minute trip to feed this past weekend. We typically all go as a group, but it was the only weekend I had for the next few months.

Storm started rolling in off in the distance,i just thought it was a rain cloud. Then it got closer and the wind started swirling, sky turned greenish purple and I knew we were in for it. I told my boy lets get inside and eat some dinner. 10 minutes later golfball sized hail, which quickly turned into softball sized at times. There was about an 8-10 minute period where I thought the walls of the old camp house were going to come down around us. We moved to the center of the house. The storm blasted out all windows of the house and threw glass shard across the house. Every camper and hunting truck we have out there sustained severe damage. Most if not all windows blown out everywhere.

We are lucky we were not out in the field filling feeders. You wouldnt want to ride that out in a truck. The only thing you could have done was get underneath the truck.

Truck was not driveable due to the hole in the windshield. I was going to limp it into Brady, but it just wasnt in the cards. Insurance sent a wrecker to come load her up.

A good friend of mine loaded up at 3a saturday morning and brought plywood and tarps. We worked for about 4 hours boarding the house and tarping campers, then made the 6 hour trip back home cause they were still under tornado watches saturday afternoon as well.

Was a wild experience for sure. Ive ridden out Hurricane and a few tornoadoes in the past, but this one takes the cake for me. The hail was coming in sideways, and fast. Easily could have killed you if hit in the head.

I cant get the video to post from my phone, but here is a youtube link of the storm.

***NOT FOR BROADCAST***Contact Brett Adair with Live Storms Media to license.brett@livestormsmedia.comMultiple large tornadoes intercepted near Silver and Me...

Attached Files
  • portalto
    • Aug 2023

So glad you made it out ok. That is some serious damage done to your truck.
    Who knew that the hardest thing of being an adult is figuring out what to fix for dinner and doing it every single night for the rest of your life until you die?
    Annette

Comment

• Bocephus
      • Aug 2023

Wow, that was bad. I'm sure it sucks about the damage, but material things can be replaced.

Glad you and your Son are okay !!!!
      I miss the America I grew up in.

Comment

• Rg
        • Aug 2023

Glad y’all weren’t harmed.

Comment

• Cubera
          • Aug 2023

Glad you're OK, sounds like some major damage to the house also.
          That old adage that states "If you want something done right you must do it yourself!", didn't quite hold true regarding my latest surgery.
          EPSTEIN DID NOT KILL HIMSELF.​

Comment

• Jdusek
            • Aug 2023

Scary stuff glad everyone is safe.

Comment

• Fishin4tails
              • Aug 2023

Wow, glad y'all made it out ok. Sucks about all the damage.

Comment

• Bandit1
                • Aug 2023

Glad you are safe! I know insurance will take care of the truck, what about damage to the campers and whatnot?
                The artist formerly known as Johnbutte1

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• OneDayScratch
                  • Aug 2023

Wow for sure! Glad y'all made it out of that.
                  BOT
                  Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you
                  ​

Comment

• Hooked
                    • Aug 2023

Thankful you had the foresight to suggested 'going in to eat'. That was really bad.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
                      • Aug 2023

This one of those cases where you realize that your safety and health are much more important than destroyed property. A saying that struck me as very true is "If you can solve your problem with a checkbook, it wasn't a huge problem."

Comment

• Trouthunter
                        Administrator
                        • Aug 2023

Man the only real thing I'm scared of is a tornado. Sure am glad you guys were okay and am sorry about all the damage but man looking at that and the video it could have been so much worse.
                        Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• KWeber
                          KWeber commented
                          Editing a comment
                          right!..there's just nothing that says "duck" like those things....cuz that's all you can do
                      • WillieT
                        • Aug 2023

Glad all of you are safe and there were no injuries. It sounds like things could have been much worse.

Comment

• Daddyeaux
                          • Aug 2023

Glad you made it out ok. Bet that was scary.
                          If it flies........it dies

Comment

• copanoson
                            • Aug 2023

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	104987 One went through our lease in Menard. Took out some stands and feeders, with a clear path where trees are uprooted and stripped! Huge hail for several minutes as well.
                            Last edited by copanoson; 05-06-2024, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...