Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DCUnger
    • Aug 2023

Chill-N-Reel...

The Chill-N-Reel is easy to use at just about any age, and it lets you go fishing without putting your drink down! The patented hard-shell drink holder with a handline fishing reel attached comes equipped with 50 ft of 8lb test line pre-wound on the Chill-N-Reel spool, plus a hook and sinker to get you started.
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

A friend of mine back when I was in my mid-twenties was from Brownsville. He said it was not uncommon for fishermen down there to use a can as a reel, and not have a rod. To reel in they just wrapped the line around the can. They would sling bait and weight around and time their release to make it go in desired direction. During the "cast" the bottom of the can would be pointed toward where the bait was thrown. This caused the line to peel off the can much like it does on an open face spinning reel with the bail you flip. Not much invested in equipment that way, and an old spark plug as a weight.

Comment

• Matt
      • Aug 2023

That's for wets. Wife would rock the handline spool in Australia sometimes. Have to wear gloves pulling up those big groupers but what you are describing is wetback fishing.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
        WhiteBassFisher commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that is what he said; I just didn't get too detailed in it. He did add that they often did well fishing though considering the tackle.

Even regular tackle differs by location on the Texas coast. It seems serious trout fishermen here use revolving spool bait-casting reels like Curado or Core. Down south serious trout fishermen use open face spinning reels with bail.
        Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 05-06-2024, 02:58 PM.
    • bassguitarman
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by WhiteBassFisher
      A friend of mine back when I was in my mid-twenties was from Brownsville. He said it was not uncommon for fishermen down there to use a can as a reel, and not have a rod. To reel in they just wrapped the line around the can. They would sling bait and weight around and time their release to make it go in desired direction. During the "cast" the bottom of the can would be pointed toward where the bait was thrown. This caused the line to peel off the can much like it does on an open face spinning reel with the bail you flip. Not much invested in equipment that way, and an old spark plug as a weight.
      Back in the eighties I fished Lake Guerrero in Mexico. The guides all fished with coke cans. Most could cast almost as accurately as I could inside 40'. It was a bit embarrassing to be fishing with all my fancy stuff

Comment

• Univ.of Hard Knocks grad
        • Aug 2023

Once was offshore fishing next to an Asian in a 14' john boat that used the old 32 ounce coke bottle to bottom fish for gulf trout. Wrap the line around the recessed lower area then just point open end down so the line would peel off without casting. He out fished two of us with rods with double drops .
        We headed back as sun set and asked if he wanted to get a ride and towed in but declined to continue filling coolers with fish.

Comment

Working...