Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GMTK
    • Aug 2023

LED light bulbs

I was told they would last for years and years and years. Well, my house disagrees. Seems like I'm changing them out just as often as the old style ones. I know they are more efficient, but dang man, for as often as I'm changing them out, not sure it's worth it.
  • Reality Czech
    • Aug 2023

I hate them
    Glad I stocked up on incandescent when they were still 4/$1.00

Like all recent government mandates they suck

Don't get me started on gas cans
    Twilight Zone Refugee

Comment

• TIMBOv2
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by GMTK
      I was told they would last for years and years and years. Well, my house disagrees. Seems like I'm changing them out just as often as the old style ones. I know they are more efficient, but dang man, for as often as I'm changing them out, not sure it's worth it.
      IDK. I have a green one on porch that has been on 24-7 since 2018.
      Only time it has a break is power outages
      But mama said.

Comment

• dwilliams35
        • Aug 2023

I've been thinking about this recently, I think we're just getting to the end of life on the first wave of these: like any electronics, there's going to be an "infant mortality" curve, but most of mine have held on pretty well. As much as I complain about them failing, thinking right now I can't remember the last time I bought a light bulb. That was NOT the case in incandescent days, that was a pretty regular purchase. Do they last 25 years or whatever they tried to sell them as initially? No way. Are they better than incandescents, or CFL's? Definitely yes, and probably, respectively.

Who knows if you "dollar out" on them, more expensive initial purchase vs. electricity use, but my average usage has in fact gone down since I started transitioning to this kind of stuff, for sure.

Comment

• bassguitarman
          • Aug 2023

I've had really mixed results with them. It doesn't seem to matter what brand, some last a very long time, and some bite the dust faster than incandescents. Either is better than CFL's

Comment

• SGrem
            • Aug 2023

I was in this business as an Energy Engineer for a long time. They used to be made with premium components to last a long long time. Then they got China cheaped out as people didnt want to pay the premiums..... So now they make junk. People buy the cheapest ones they can find then complain that they don't last.

Seek out the premium stuff and they will last. Try to value shop and you get what you pay for.

Comment

• mstrelectricman
              • Aug 2023

Fact is we install A LOT of these things now, never incandescent. The mixed results mentioned above have a lot to do with the manufacturer. The old “you get what you pay for” thing holds true with these items.
              Electrifying our customers since 2001.

Comment

• Trouthunter
                Trouthunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I found that out when we went to all LED lighting inside the house and cabin.
            • Flounderface
              • Aug 2023

I am not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but with these things you get what you pay for.

Comment

• Hunter11
                • Aug 2023

I am not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but with these things you get what you pay for.
                This is what we have found when it comes to LED bulbs. We finally found that the GE bulbs we buy at Lowes work the best for us.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
                  • Aug 2023

I did pick out premium ones apparently when I built at Lake Livingston. All bulbs through out are LED of course. In 4 & 1/2 years living here, one has gone out. It wasn’t used any more than any others, I just think it was a faulty bulb. I like LED’s personally.
                  Due to age and needing better lighting, I picked fixtures with a lot of bulbs, so I have many in my house.
                  Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 05-07-2024, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• rdt
                    • Aug 2023

I was buying Phillips and getting 3 years or so .
                    I always write the dates on them

Comment

• Capt Mike
                      • Aug 2023

I built my current place in 2015
                      100% LED
                      replaced 2
                      a couple years ago my energy supplier ,,Champion,,had a promo and sent me $100 worth of bulbs. Sure I’ll need em some day but looks like a lifetime supply

Comment

• JSimpson
                        • Aug 2023

My experience has been the opposite. When I had incandescent or cfl bulbs I was replacing something almost every month. Now I probably have 50+ LEDs and maybe replace one or two per year. I'm loving the led bulbs.

Comment

• Cubera
                          • Aug 2023

It's simple, if they made them to last longer, they'd loose to much money, so they make them so their life is just slightly longer that the old type.
                          That old adage that states "If you want something done right you must do it yourself!", didn't quite hold true regarding my latest surgery.
                          EPSTEIN DID NOT KILL HIMSELF.​

Comment

• LouReed
                            • Aug 2023

Originally posted by SGrem
                            Seek out the premium stuff and they will last. Try to value shop and you get what you pay for.
                            I agree

Comment

Working...