Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donkey
    • Aug 2023

Estes Park, CO and Rocky Mountain NP...

I've bought airline tix and a VRBO for a week in June to take my family (kids are 9 and 11)....any recs on things to see and do in the area? TIA!
  • TXXpress
    • Aug 2023

If you get down to the Colorado Springs area, check out theStatic Aircraft Displays At the Air Force Academy. I took my young son there about 25 years ago. I got some great pics of him standing under these aircraft. He still talks about him under a B-52 plane to this day. Please check and see if the public can access this location prior to going there. Enjoy your trip.

Static displays located at the United States Air Force Academy located in Colorado. They include the B-52 Stratofortress strategic bomber, the T-38 Talon jet trainer and the A-10 Thunderbolt II ground attack aircraft.

Who needs a carnival freak show when we have the Galveston Wal-Mart?

Comment

• mstrelectricman
      • Aug 2023

Lots to see in CO. Go to Colorado Springs and go west over Independance Pass thru Aspen to the I 70 at Glenwood Springs.
      Or go south to Durango area.
      Electrifying our customers since 2001.

Comment

• Landlocked
        • Aug 2023

That’s a REALLY cool place. Go to the Stanley hotel.

Comment

• Reba3825
          • Aug 2023

Durango to Silverton small scale train ride is pretty amazing. It’s a lot of fun for all ages. You won’t have any problems finding things to do and see there. Ouray and Gunnison are both very good choices. Definitely worth getting off the beaten path.

Comment

• Papasnbeer
            • Aug 2023

We went last summer. RNP has alll the hiking you can handle. We saw a lot of it. Jackson stables took us on a really nice trail ride. I think we went on a 2 hour trip. Pretty simple but we saw some cool stuff. Wanderlust rafting is about an hour away in La Porte. It was fairly aggressive but my wife and daughter enjoyed it and managed to stay in the boat. There was another boat that had kids around the same age as your’s but you may want to call and talk to them about a trip before making the drive. The Cog train at Pikes Peak was fun but will be a drive from the park too. You have a good time coming your way. We will definitely go again.

Comment

• Stammster
              • Aug 2023

In addition to sightseeing in Estes Park, spend a few days in the park (day trips). Lots to see and great hikes on the east side (Bear Lake and Glacier Basin areas). Take a day and travel all the way to the west side. Stop along the way to see deer, elk, marmots, etc. While your on the west side pop out of the park annd check out the Granby / Grand Lake area.

Keep in mind you will need to book reservations to even enter the park. Some areas have max people restrictions.

Comment

• Buckweet
                • Aug 2023

If you are in Estes, have to go check out the Stanley hotel (of the shinnng fame). Duh…. Already mentioned, sorry.

Comment

• bassguitarman
                  • Aug 2023

My brother says you now have to make reservations to enter Estes Park, or at least when he was there last. The last time I was there you just drove in.

Comment

• Hooknbullet2
                    • Aug 2023

We love it up there and visit every summer.

The Green Jeep tours are worthwhile. You can book the entire jeep for your family. Just ask.

Green Jeep Tours Green Jeep Tours offers unique tours of Rocky Mountain National Park and the Estes Park area

The drive through the park to Grand Lake is worth the trip.

Lots of Elk walk through town most mornings and late afternoons.

The shops downtown are what they are.

Get the pizza at Antonio’s.

Comment

• catndahats
                      catndahats commented
                      Editing a comment
                      the pizza place is that good!
                  • SmithRanchZ
                    • Aug 2023

The old road to the pass is a cool drive, and when we did it, could easily be done by a whole lot of vehicles. It was not technical or challenging.

Once at the top of the pass (whether via the regular road or the old road), get out a walk up to the overlook/viewing area. Short walk, but you can really feel the altitude.

Tons of great hikes. From mild to wild. Absolutely stunning views and tons of wildlife.

Comment

• SpikeMike
                      • Aug 2023

Definitely hike some trails in the park. If you are up for it, the hike up to Emerald Lake is awesome. It's all uphill though.

Also, check out Kirk's Fly Shop and maybe book a fishing trip.

Comment

• wfishtx
                        • Aug 2023

Kirks Fly Shop for some fly fishing.

Comment

• copanoson
                          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by wfishtx
                          Kirks Fly Shop for some fly fishing.
                          I second this! Request Kirk if he is available...he might be in WY this time of year, though.

We go in the winter, so all of my recommendations won't help you this time of year, other than renting a jeep or ATV and doing a tour.

Backbone Adventures | ATV Rental Estes Park Colorado | 1851 North Lake Avenue, Estes Park, CO, USA (backbonecycles.com)

Comment

Working...