Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 98aggie77566
    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by dwilliams35
    So what kind of pump do you have that’ll pump a 60’ diameter column with 1100’ of natural head that far? So that some dude in Austin can dump it on his yard? I’ve heard that floated a lot of times, but the physics there are astounding. if it’s even close to anything that would make the slightest dent.

”but we did the alaskan pipeline”…Okay, if water is 80 bucks a barrel, we’ll talk.

Probably be easier to just permanently ban lawn sprinklers and high-use appliances over about 20 counties.
    We clearly need to find a source a little more uphill? LOL

You did escalate the math a bit going from 60 inches to 60 feet in diameter though.....

Comment

• Landlocked
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by 98aggie77566

You did escalate the math a bit going from 60 inches to 60 feet in diameter though.....
      That dang gravity!!!😄

Comment

• dwilliams35
        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by 98aggie77566

Yeah, hit the wrong button there. It'd probably take the 60' one to make that dent, though...

Again, probably easier to just ban sprinklers.

Comment

• Boom!
          • Aug 2023

They move water from one end of California to the other. Over mountains…..

Comment

• dwilliams35
            • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Boom!
            They move water from one end of California to the other. Over mountains…..
            Not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it's stupid considering the dent that it'll make in relation to the cost. Make it a felony to turn on your irrigation. You don't need St. Augustine to survive. This isn't as much of a water problem as it is a dumbass problem.

Comment

• dwilliams35
              dwilliams35 commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you planting a lush, tropical landscaping plan in Bandera, watering it as needed, then complaining that there's not enough water? Then you, too, might be a dumbass.

• SGrem
              SGrem commented
              Editing a comment
              Kweber.....ever seen the water bill for a cooling tower? Lol

• dwilliams35
              dwilliams35 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I HAVE seen water pouring out of the storm sewers out of Cinco Ranch in the height of the 2011 drought from all the sprinklers that were overrunning. So there's that.

People are stupid when it comes to their yards.
          • BretE
            • Aug 2023

Not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it's stupid considering the dent that it'll make in relation to the cost. Make it a felony to turn on your irrigation. You don't need St. Augustine to survive. This isn't as much of a water problem as it is a dumbass problem.
            That can’t be the problem…I see people here every year begging for a tropical storm because their yard is turning brown….on a regular city lot…
            I got nuthin….

Comment

• wfishtx
              • Aug 2023

Y'all be careful what you wish for. I remember the last time these discussions were being had and mother nature ended up flooding most of the hill country via the Tax Day floods and/or the Memorial Day floods (I get them confused). A lot of lives were lost and significant amount of property damage was done to the region. I'm not saying we shouldn't pray for rain, but I'm also saying Mother Nature has a way of correcting herself.

Comment

• Shinerlight
                • Aug 2023

Mother Nature does indeed, and I'm sure they will all be full again, one day. But the problem is they don't stay full, or within a reasonable pool, like they did 25 years ago. We've always had droughts here in Texas, but i can't remember the lake levels dropping so quick like they do now. Just too many people up there now. We've had Llano Co deer leases for the past 40 years, it's unbelievable how the scenery up there from Shiner has changed.

Comment

• KWeber
                  KWeber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  residential and commercial irrigation pay too little, IMO...
                  pain at the pump, so to speak,is the only way to truly get on-board w/conservation...
              • Unknownstrohsfan
                • Nov 2023

So what kind of pump do you have that’ll pump a 60’ diameter column with 1100’ of natural head that far? So that some dude in Austin can dump it on his yard? I’ve heard that floated a lot of times, but the physics there are astounding. if it’s even close to anything that would make the slightest dent.

”but we did the alaskan pipeline”…Okay, if water is 80 bucks a barrel, we’ll talk.

Probably be easier to just permanently ban lawn sprinklers and high-use appliances over about 20 counties.
                Oh come on D Dub don't be a Debbie downer, I'm sure with a few windmills and lektrik car battrys we can run a pump big enuff to get-r-done. Hell for that matter, we can just fiil tankers and have the lektric trucks haul it over there. then haul fairy dust on the way back to recharge.

Comment

• BretE
                  • Aug 2023

I follow the Brazos River Authority very close at times like these and the pipeline question was posed the other day. Their response was a simple….”it’s too expensive”….
                  I got nuthin….

Comment

• dwilliams35
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by BretE
                    I follow the Brazos River Authority very close at times like these and the pipeline question was posed the other day. Their response was a simple….”it’s too expensive”….
                    And if they did do it, i’d be really surprised if it didn’t turn into a pissin’ match over water rights whenever a drought hits here too… It was getting a little dicey in 2011 between texas city, sugarland, etc. over who had better claim to the water.. i’m sure the LCRA, Austin,etc, wouldn’t be bashful about throwing their hat in that ring the second there’s a completed pipeline..
                    Last edited by dwilliams35; 05-12-2024, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Wado II
                      • Aug 2023

I remember when Frackin' wells was the end of the water supply.

Comment

• Ditto
                        • Aug 2023

The lakes in the hill country were real close to getting some much needed rain. Lake Belton went from 14' low to 9' high in less than a month. Most of the boat ramps were closed due to low water and now most are closed due to high water.

Comment

• Trouthunter
                          Administrator
                          • Aug 2023

My Dad always said, "Don't worry it will rain again and people will whine about too much water."
                          Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• Trouthunter
                            Administrator
                            • Aug 2023

The Sabinal at our place today and before when we had water
                            Attached Files
                            Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• KWeber
                              KWeber commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I had no idea that the sabinal came up...
                              nice to see one river w/more than a trickle
                          Working...