Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walkin' Jack
    • Aug 2023

Poor boy makes out

I wrote this for a billy Stix contest. It is LOOOOONG so I will have to post it in several posts.
    POOR BOY MAKES OUT

6:15 AM. Dawn was breaking on the day that would change my life forever. A fact which I was totally unaware of as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and sat there on the edge of my cot and gazed around the room at my humble surroundings. See, I was born poor. No...I mean REAL poor! I was born and raised in a shabby little cluster of hovels just out side of Gainesville Florida. Did I mention that we were poor? When I was 7 years old there was so little to eat around our house that the rats and cockroaches all moved out and left no forwarding address. I had 4 brothers and 5 sisters and we all chipped in and did what we could to help the family. Sometimes we'd hitch a ride with a neighbor in his hay waggon, into Gainesville and sing gospel music on street corners. Daddy would do a little preachin' and Moma would pass out little religious bookmarkers she made out of scraps of ribbon and other material.

As I stood up this particular morning, A full grown man with a family of my own, and got dressed I was careful to make as little noise as possible because it was Saturday and I wanted to get out of the house without being discovered. I now lived in the same old shack I was raised in. Mom and Dad had long since passed on and all the bothers and sisters were scattered to the four winds.

Now a family man and having no better luck at earning a living than my parents had, I never had much time for myself or any money with which to entertain myself. My wife suffered a broken back when she had stopped plowing one morning to adjust the harness on the mule. When she turned to walk back to her position behind the plow the mule kicked her in the back. The doctors said she would never walk again. Our two boys, twins, and the oldest of our 6 kids, were hard workers, once you got them going but not overly ambitious or clever. Two of the four girls were too young to do much and the other two were in their teens and too busy with their social lives to help the family out much.

But whenever possible I liked to hitchhike into Gainesville (we couldn't afford a car) and then on out to the coast. I just loved to hang out at the marina and watch the boats go out and come back in loaded with all those fish. I LOVED fishing but I rarely got a chance to go. One day I found an old discarded rod and reel in a dumpster out behind the marina. I fiddled with it some and it seemed to work alright. I scrounged around and scraped up a small piece of dead shrimp that someone had stepped on and put it on my hook. I stood on the boat dock and cast out as far as I could.

A few minutes later a boat came in and a friendly looking feller got out and saw me fishing and came over to me. Just at that moment a fish bit my hook. It was fighting very hard and I completely forgot about the guy watching me. I was busy fighting my fish and I was afraid the line would break. But that is not what happened. The ROD broke!, then the the fish got off and swam away.

I wanted to die! I looked over and the fellow looked really sympathetic. He could see how it hurt me to lose that fish because my rod broke and he could tell by my shabby clothes and appearance that I had nothing. Then I saw a smile of pity appear on his face. He stuck out his hand and said, "My friends call me BillyStiX". I introduced myself and we shook hands. He said, "I couldn't help notice that that was not much of a rod you have there. I truly admire your fishing skill but you need better equipment. Just so happens I know a little something about building rods and if you can meet me here next Saturday morning I'll take you out fishing and let you use one of my rods."

I thought the next week would never pass. I don't remember another week in my whole life that took that long to get through. But finally it was Saturday once again. I had laid awake on my cot all night tossing and turning and finally when I couldn't stand it any more I got up, ate a cold, dry biscuit and drank a cup of coffee made from yesterday's grounds and hit the road with my thumb held high in the air. When I got to the marina BillyStiX was waitin' for me. He gave me a warm handshake and a big smile and invited me aboard his boat. On the ride out to his favorite fishin' hole I learned that he is quite a special fellow. Expert fisherman and holder of numerous state and world records for various species of fresh and saltwater fish. But the MOST amazing thing about the man was the magic in his hands. And when he built a fishing rod, the magic in his hands was transferred into the rod.

When we got to the fishin' hole he killed the engine and tossed out the anchor and reached up and took one of the rods out of the rocket launcher and handed it to me. "Check this out", he said. He then explained the spiral wrap and how it worked. I was dumbfounded and speechless at how beautiful it was.

We started to fish and we were both catching fish and I was having the time of my life. This BillyStiX rod was awesome!! I had never experienced anything like it in my life. Billy was complimenting me on how well I was doing and all of a sudden the drag on my reel began to scream and line was flyin' off the spool like I had hooked onto a freight train. The rod began to work it's magic and slowly I began to get control of my fish and that awesome spiral wrapped rod just did all the work for me. All I had to do was to try to keep the fish from pulling it out of my hands.

After a long and terrible battle, with Billy encouraging me all the way, I landed my fish. When Billy saw it he began to dance around the boat and yell, "Record...Record...A NEW WORLD RECORD!!" On the trip back in he called the marina and told the operator to have state and federal fish/game authorities on hand when we pulled in cause we had an new world record that would never be beat.

When we pulled in the fish was measured and weighed and sure enough it was a new world record. Not only were the authorities there but sports wirters for local news papers, Sports Illustrated, Time magazine (they made me Man Of The Year), and hundreds of reporters from various fishing magazines. Representatives from the Jay Leno and David Letterman shows were there and a TV Producer was there and offered me my own fishing show on TV!

Well the next few months was very hectic and very busy and now I live in Gainesville Florida, right next door to my best friend Billy McDaniel, aka BIllyStiX. I'm a mult-millionaire with 3 nationally televised fishing shows and a line of fishing clothing and accessories. I have a huge office with a dozen custom designed and built rod racks, designed and built by a good friend of mine from Texas. All of these rod racks are full of BillyStix custom, spiral wrapped rods...every thing from ultra light for pan fish to ultra heavy for the large, off shore species. I also am the holder of numerous state and world records for several different species of fresh and saltwater species of fish. BIlly and I seem to have a little competition going as to who can accumulate the most record fish.

I stay pretty busy these days and once again, but for much different reasons, I don't get to fish much any more. Two things you can count on though, when I do get to go, I'm with my pal Billy and you can bet your last trophy that I'm fishing with my favorite fishing rod in the EN-TIRE world...my faithful and dependable BillyStiX Spiral Wrapped Rod.

• Walkin' Jack
    • Aug 2023

Poor Boy Makes Out-2: Let's Go To Texas

Groan...I woke up with an awful feeling of terror and I was in a flop sweat. I had had the mother of all night mares. I dreamed I was Bill Dance! Lordy, in my dream I was just walking through the house and I happen to look in a mirror as I passed it and there, looking back at me with a stupid grin was Bill Dance. Oh, the relief I felt when I realized it was just a dream....From another part of the house, Billy McDaniel's voice pulled me back to reality.

....."Lets just go on and do it" said Billy. I think we should just go ahead and move on over there."

"Well, we have made an awful lot of friends there and the fishing is just awesome", I said. Let me have a couple of months to tie up loose ends and we should be able to be settled in on the Texas Gulf Coast by the time the water warms up good. I'm thinkin' the middle of May."

Billy and I had been talkin' about movin' down to the Texas Coast for a couple of years, now. We had gotten to be the best of friends since that fateful day he saw me fishing on the dock at the marina in Florida. We had been fishing a lot but we wanted a change. We had gotten quite friendly with a group of Texicans that were serious fishermen and great people. Now it looked like this was actually gonna happen. It'd mean big changes for both of us but we were both committed to doing it. I was at the end of my contract for the TV shows and I'd have to restructure some of my other business interestes but it could be done. BIlly would have to completey relocate all his rod building facility and equipment but that too was a can-do thing.

3 Months later and Billy and I are standing on the 2nd sand bar off Surfside Beach, fishing the back side on the "Dawn Patrol". The water is "trout green" and only slightly wavy and absolutely full of speckled trout. Billy had just perfected a new design for a spiral wrap topwater plug rod and the action was machine-gun fast. For the last hour and 20 minutes, beginning about a half hour before the gorgeous pink sun came up in our faces (it looked like a giant piece of electric bubble gum) we had been hitting the specs in the 5 to 8 pound class.BIlly kept speculating on ways to further improve this latest new rod but I couldn't see any way for it to be any better. It was just the best. It felt like that the rod didn't need me for anything except to hold it up out of the water. The fish had NO chance against this rod.

We hated to leave 'em bitin' but 2 old men can only take so much fun. We went back to our new house and cleaned our catch. We normally did the catch n release thing but this morning we kept a couple of nice ones for lunch. Molly, our friend had dropped by and volunteered to do the cooking for us. She was kinda on the run from a stalker back in florida named Josh who had created this whole crazy fantasy about her and was relentlessly chasing her all over the country....but that's another story.....

We had a nice lunch of fried trout and cold boiled shrimp with Molly's secret cocktail sauce recipe and a few cold Shiner Bocks. Then the conversation turned more serious. Billy had wanted for a long time to go on a special fishing adventure and his plan was now coming together. He was having a new boat built, a 56 foot sport fishing boat with ALL the bells and whistles. He had made arrangements to have it dilivered to New Orleans and we were just 4 days away from delivery date. Time to fish or cut bait as they say.

We arrived in New Orleans on the appointed day and met up with the boat at the Marina. The boat is launched and christened, the dotted line is signed and it is now time to set out on our trip. The plan is to fish from New Orleans, where the Mississippi River dumps into the Gulf of Mexico, all the way down to Matagorda. Get off the boat and have a good resturant meal and sleep one night in a nice motel and then fish our way back up the coast to our home in Freeport.

We shoved off at dawn the next morning and the first place we fished was just loaded with fish. We were not too far off shore and these fish weren't as big as some we expected to get into in a couple of days. Fiesty, hard fighting fish on medium weight BillyStiX rods....just about all the fun you can have in a boat! At one point we both had fish on and they were really workin' out on us. We just looked and each other and smiled. Words weren't necessary and besides, there ARE no word for this kind of feeling. We both decked our fish and decided to move on along to the next spot.

One day, about half way down to Matagorda, we got into some huge blue marlin. Billy quickly got out the big guns and we set our bee-hinds in the fighting chairs and our feet firmly on the deck. I'll never forget the scene, The sun is starting to glow a golden orange and sink slowly in the western sky. The monster fish comes up out of the water, clearing the surface by a good 10 feet and shaking his head ferociously to dislodge the hook in his mouth. HIs gill plates are flared way out and he is putting every ounce of power he has into this fight for his life. Too bad he doesn't realize that he is up against a BIllyStiX Blue Marlin Special. If he knew that he'd probably not even bother fighting cause it's just no use. He's one caught fish! Billy and I each catch 2 of these glorious creatures and release them and by that time it's time to haul out the cooler with the cold Shiner Bock.

We fished our way down to Matagorda, HIgh adventure every day. Catching all different kinds of fish and using a wide variety of BillyStiX rods. It all seems like a dream to me...a dream I quietly hope will never end. When we left for home the next morning, I had an empty feeling in my gut. A feeling that the adventure of my life was almost over. But we still had a few days of good fishing left so I decided to try to relax and ejoy it to the full.

Four days before we were to get back into Freeport we were about 200 miles out when I felt the most ferocious hit of my fishing life. I started screaming for help. I was in my fighting chair and what ever was on the other end of my line was trying to pull me right out of my harness. Billy came a runnin' and when he saw the situation, he turned with out a word and cranked up the boat and started running with the fish. We ran for over 8 hours before the fish began to slow. Billy killed the engines and I continued to struggle with the monster of my life. 3 more hours and I had him with in about 100 feet of the boat. He surfaced and rolled slowly and I got a good look at him. It was a 3,000 pound bluefin tuna! BIlly got out some heavy nylon cables and we motored up to the fish, now completely spent and docile, and rigged him up and towed him in. It took a couple of days but we got our fish in and the press was waiting for us. We gave our interviews even though we were exhausted.

Molly showed up and met us there and gave us a ride back to the house. A funny thing...Just as we turned onto our street there was a suspicious looking dark green Ford Ranger parked against the curb across the street. When he saw us he pulled out in a hurry. I found it odd but for some reason he had a huge pair of mens white boxer shorts on his antenna?? He had a familiar look about him too. The last thing I noticed was a cute balck dog in the back, front paws up on the tailgate, and he had a blue flip-flop in his mouth. Rang a familiar bell, for sure.

Billy and I are all rested up now and back to our daily routines. We sure love livin' in Texas and eagerly await our next great adventure of catching fish on our BillyStiX Custom Spiral Wrapped Rods.

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
      • Aug 2023

Poor Boy Makes Out-3: The Island

On the morning of what would prove to be the last day for us aboard the BillyStiX Fish Hunter, a 56 foot sport fishing boat that my best friend Billy McDaniel had built a few years back, I rose before the sun, to the sound of Billy's peaceful snoring coming from his state room, just up the companionway from my own. I headed on down to the galley and got the coffee to rollin'. A quick peek at the weather radar, the auto-pilot, the sea chart of the area we were in, and the status of the engines and feul supply all indicated that we were right on course and in great shape.

Ever since our last adventure we had been planning another big trip but in the 4 years since then we had both been really busy. My varoious business interests were flourishing and the public's demand for my appearances on TV shows and in movies was tying up all my time. And Billy's rod building business was growing at a rate that he was hard pressed to keep up with. Still, way back last winter, we had begun making plans for this trip and carving out the 2 months in our busy lives and schedules that it would take for us to complete our journey. We were on a quest to fish all the better spots in the Caribbean from east to west and from north to south. We had already been at sea for 5 weeks and the fishing to this point had been excellent but it had all been pretty routine. Not one spectacular event had occured and we were kind of hoping for something really exciting to happen. Sometime people should be carefull what they wish for.

I was smack-dab in the middle of a pipe dream about a monster fish when Billy came into the galley and poured himself a cup of coffee. "Whooo-Eeeeee, you sure do make a mean cup of coffee", he said to me as he sat down. "So, my sea-farin' friend, what's the plan for today?" I told him that I wanted to check out a small cluster of islands that was marked on the charts but not identified by name. I said that I thought that they were likely uninhabited and too small to be of any signifigance and there for had no name. He sipped his coffee and nodded his agreement.

By now the sun was coming up over the horizon and while Billy continued to study the charts, I went topside to greet the day. We were going through a known "honey-hole" so I slowed down to trolling speed and set out a couple of BillyStiX spiral wrapped offshore rods with fresh bait on one hook and an 8 oz red and white feather jig on the other. A little later BIlly Came up and we began to discuss lunch plans. Then there was a a hit on the rod with bait and Billy grabbed it. I was enjoying the skillful tactics of Billy with his awesome rod and suddenly, WHAM! the rod with the jig went off and I grabbed it. Here we go again. Although we had had many "double-ups" over the years we have been fishing together it is still as big a thrill as it was the first time. Me and my hero, side by side, testing not only our fabulous spiral wrapped rod but also our on mettle. Once you get the bug for that it never diminishes. Billy's fish came in first and then mine was right behind it. Both beautiful and respectable in size. We admired them for a moment as we took a couple of quick pictures and then set them free to swim again.

After lunch we went back up top-side to do a little more fishing before we were out of the area and notice some dark and threatening clouds out on the horizon. A quick check of the weather radar revealed a bad storm was heading right for us. We altered our course to go around it but it was growing in size and strength and it was picking up speed. We were close enough to see the size of the swells and became very alarmed. Billy said that we were not going to be able to miss it so we decided to come about and try to outrun it. In his haste to come about, he stalled the engines and we had several warning lights on the instrument board. Before we could get the engines started again the storm had caught up with us and was almost on top of us. When the engines fired Billy grabbed a handful of throttle and told me hang on that it was about to get bad...REALLY bad.

A rogue wave came over the top and swamped the cockpit and lower spaces, inclulding the engine compartment. Now we are dead in the water and no hope of restarting. We were literally tossing about like a bobber in a hurricane. Waves were coming at us from every direction. we looked at each other and said our silent good-byes for we knew the end was here. We shook hands and in the next moment a HUGE wave hit us and capsized the boat. We had on lilfe preservers and had brought the inflatable life boat up and prepared to deploy it in the event we did roll over, or worse. When I gained the surface again I couldn't see Billy or the life boat. I eventually heard him blow his whistle and could tell that he was on the other side of the slowly sinking boat. When it was completely under water I found Billy and made my way over to him. He had a nasty cut on his head and it was swollen badly. I lashed our life preserves together as best I could and looked around for anything we could use to improve our situation. There was a lot of sutff floating in the water but way out of reach. We had nothing except the cloths on our backs and what ever was in our pockets. Over the next 5 days I watched all the stuff from our boat drift farther and farther away until it was completely out of sight. Billy was in and out of consciousness for the next day and a half and we subsisted on rainwater and what ever vegitation and sea creatures floated by that I could catch.

On the morning of the 5th day Billy seemed to have shaken off most of the effects of his injury but we were both about done in. A couple of hours later, Billy got really excited and started yelling that he could see land. I looked around and there was the prettiest little island I'd ever seen. Possible one of the islands we had noted on the chart days before. It took us almost the rest of the day but we finally made it to the beach. As we lay there, totally worn out I let my head lean over to the right and saw, a couple of hundre yards down the beach, what looked like a long box of some kind, but before I could give it any thought I passed out. It was dark when I awoke and BIlly was sitting on the beach holding his head in his hands. He saw that I was awake and got up and came over to see if I was okay. Forgetting about the box, we went into the jungle to forage for food. We found a pool of fresh water and plenty of banana trees and other tropical type fruits in the area. We gorged ourselves and slept for nealy 24 hours.

When we woke up we felt a LOT better and I remembered the box and we decided to go see what it was. It turned out to be a crate containing a dozen BillyStiX rods! What a break!! Later that day some more stuff washed up on the beach...Another floating container, this one containing an assortment of reels and line and other necessary items for fishing. We just might get out of this thing in one piece after all.

Over the next month we fashioned our selves a couple of neat little thatched huts and developed a little daily routine. We would take turns; one day Billy would fish and I would forage for what ever I could find, food or materials we could use for constructing better shelters or what ever we needed. We landed on a good island for fishing. Lots of coral around and the big fishes were constanly swimming around near the waters edge chasing the smaller bait fish.

The weeks, months and years came and went with out record for us. One day we were both on the beach working on a little fishing skiff that would let us get a little farther off the beach for some possibly bigger fish when we saw a ship on the horizon. we watched it as it drew nearer and nearer. By mid afternoon it was obvious that it was headed straight for our island. When it had gotten within a quarter mile of our beach it lowered a launch and they were headed for our beach. The first thing we were able to make out was Molly standing up in the front of the launch waving her arms. Billy and I broke out in tears and the helmsman ran the launch right up on the sand and Molly jumped out and came running up to us. A few hundred hugs and tears later we all got back aboard the launch and headed back out to the ship. As the island grew smaller and smaller in our wake, Billy and I, each to himself, replayed the time in our minds that we had spent on that little hunk of Heaven sticking up out of the Caribbean Sea. Surely, these memories would never fade...not EVER.

Back to civilization and back into our lives and regular routines Billy and I have tried to re-order our lives. We learned that we were on that island for 3 years 7 months and 23 days. Seemed like only a couple of months to me. Molly told us that Josh, the guy that had been stalking her was still out there and that she was constantly forced to hit the road for a while till she could shake him off her trail. We heard that his dog Baxter, was also wanted in several states for petty theft, shoes mostly. Seems he had graduated from flip-flops and gotten into hiking boots. Ah well, I guess there's no accounting for taste, eh?

Billy and I have designed us a new, bigger boat and it is under construction right now. Should be ready in about a month. It will be hard to come up with a plan that will equal a couple of the other trips we've been on together, but we are workin' on it. It's very nice to be back in the world again but we both know that a large part of the reason we survived was that we had all those fine BillyStiX rod and were able to catch all the fish we neede to survive. God bless a BillyStiX rod!

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
        • Aug 2023

Poor Boy Makes Out 4: Spiral Dreams

Last Summer, after we were rescued from that island in the Caribbean Sea, that island that had been our home for nearly 4 years after our boat sank in a storm, Billy and I knew that things were going to be different from then on. You can't go through something like that with out some serious changes in your outlook and your orientation with life, especially your own life. Since returning to civilization we realized that it was time to finally stop just picking at the edges of our dreams and to commit to them completely. I have completely dropped out of public life and I've liquidated all my business holdings. Billy has all but closed up his rod building business. We are ready to move on to our new plans for the future.

One thing we realized is that we were ready to make the move to a life at sea. Shortly after we were rescued, we ordered our new boat. It was to be a 120' floating mansion. We spent weeks on her design and we now had only a few days to wait for her completion. The main salon was over 500 sq.ft. and Billy and I each had our own luxurious suits. There were ample quarters for guests and crew, a full galley with dinning salon. A machine shop, a wood working shop, and a place for Billy to make his rods. We had a movie theatre, a 4-lane bowling alley and a hot tub. There were fishing decks fore' and aft'. We had 3 sundecks, one fore', one aft' and one amid-ships, high up on the superstructure.

We had decided to move back to Florida to have a home port right on the Atlantic and there was a new marina that catered to the needs of really big boats like ours. We plannded on living aboard and at sea but we needed a home port where we could make repairs, take on supplies and have a little shore leave from time to time.

We really hated to leave Texas but it was time to go. Speaking of crew, we wanted to staff our boat with quality people that we knew and trusted. We chose some of our good friends from the Totally Texas Message Board to come with us. We were very glad to get Jim (Farmer Jim) Reynolds to sign on as our captain. We were well familiar with his excellent abilities at the helm. Another important member of the crew was going to be the chef. It was our good fortune to have Darrell (Badhabit) Milligan sign up as well. Our good friend James (Sidecutter) McKay signed on as chief mechanic and general maintenance officer.

I was sitting at my desk in my office at our home in Freeport when Molly stuck her head in the door, "Busy?", she asked. "No, not really. Just finishing up some last minute details. What's up?" She told me that there was a guy to see me about a job on the boat. A nice looking young man appeared in the doorway and said "Hi, my name is Wayne Butler." I said, "Well come on in here, Wayne Butler, and let's get to know each other." We talked a bit and he told me he was from North Carolina. He seemed young to me but he showed me his Merchant Marine papers and described a brilliant, if short, carrer at sea. He had an easy manner and smiled easily. He seemed quite confident but in a kind of quiet, unassuming way. He impressed me so much that I hired him on the spot. We needed a person that could help out where needed and had a wide range of skills and the ability to think fast. He seemed perfect to me.

We were shaking hands and saying good-bye when Billy came in. I introduced them and they hit it off immediately. Billy gave his approval of Wayne for the job and Wayne thanked us both. I told him to check back with me in a couple of days and I hoped to have a date of completion on the boat by then.

The very next day a rep from the company that built our boat called to say that it was complete and nearly ready for delivery. He wanted to know if we had decided on a name for her yet. Billy and I had had many long talks about what to name our new home on the sea. We agreed that it should be something that reflected us in a personal way. After many changes we finally agreed that the name "Spiral Dreamer" was perfect. It had a kind of double meaning which did reflect on both of us. Spiral was a direct reference to that hand crafted BillyStiX Spiral Wrapped Rod that Billy made by hand, each one unique, each one different, never two alike. The other reference was to the fact that our dreams were always spiraling in an upward direction, always seeking bigger and better adventures in fishing and in sailing the seas. So then, It was settled. I told the company rep the the name of our new craft was to be Spiral Dreamer. He complimented me on the fine name and said that he'd see to it personally. He said that he would have the boat at our new marina one week from today, and it was a Wednesday. That gave us a week to tie up all lose ends and one more week end to say our good-byes.

The following Tuesday evening Billy, Molly, Jim, Darrell, James, Wayne and I boarded a 747 headed for Miami. Once there we got rooms in a hotel near the airport and the next morning we rented a large SUV and drove a few miles down the coast to our marina and our new boat. When we got there they already had her in the water. What a beauty! 120 feet of gleaming hull, dazzling chrome and brass and stainless steel....a real eye-catcher. Darrell said he had a little something he needed to take care of and excused himself. It was still well before noon so the rest of us spent the rest of the morning getting our personal things aboard and stowed away in our respective living spaces. The supplies and equipment we had ordered werre beginning to arrive so James, Wayne, and Jim saw to that while Molly, Billy and I went on a grand tour of the boat. The craftsmanship was impeccable. Every detail, every amenity, every item of comfort, convenience, and effeciency was seen to and nothing had been left out. James, Darrell and Wayne completed the boarding of all the supplies and equipment and caught up with us on the forward sundeck. By then it was getting on to mid afternoon and we wondered what had happened to Darrell. I looked down at the dock and here he came with a big grin on his face. He waved and motioned for us all to come on down and see what he had been up to. We all went down and joined him on the dock and he announced that he had a special surprise for us. We all piled in the SUV and Darrell drove us over to a little place he had found that he had talked the proprieter into letting him take over the kitchen for the afternoon. Darrell had cooked up a whole sack of crawfish with all the trimmin's; red taters, corn-on-the-cob, and 'shrooms. He didn't hold back on the swamp dust either, judging by the way all of our lips were burning. Billy had flipped for crawfish every since the first time he came to Texas to meet all the good folks at the TTMB and he never missed the chance to have them when he could get them.

With full bellies and happy hearts we all headed back to the boat. We all had things to check on and we had planned to have the coast of Florida in our wake well before sun-up. Tomorrow we would begin our greatest adventure yet.

BANG! BANG BANG! I woke up, startled out of my wits. Darrell finally quit pounding on my door and came bursting into my suite yelling, "Hey you old coot, time to get your sorry tail out of that rack and come to breakfast, come and get it 'fore I th'ow it to the hardheads." I said, "Ummm okay, lemme get my heart rate down just a smigde and I'll be right down." When I entered the dining salon every one else was already at the table. Darrell met me at my seat with a hot cup of coffee and gave me a wink, "Listen here you old geezer, I'm your chef not yer nanny. Don't make me hafta come fer ya again." More winking. I said I'd try to do better and gave him a wink in return. That Darrell.....

After breakfast those with duties to see to carried on with what ever they needed to do while Billy and Molly and I went topside to greet the day. Darrell came up shortly with a pitcher of Bloody Marys and we sat around and discussed our future. At lunch Jim asked if we wanted to do any fishing the next morning. Billy and I just looked at each other and laughed. "That is the plan, my good captain," said Billy, "that is most certainly the PLAN". Jim said that he'd get Wayne to set up the down-riggers, fighting chairs and harnesses and every thing would be ready at dawn. He would see to it that we were in prime waters and we would spend the morning trolling for billfish. For the rest of the afternoon the excitement and anticipation was palpable all over the boat. We were about to fish for the first time aboard the Spiral Dreamer. The moment was now at hand!

I slept fitfully that night. I finally gave up about an hour before dawn and went on down to the galley to get some coffee going. Darrell was already hard at work the coffee was made and ham and eggs a grits and gravy were on the stove. "Well now! I just wish y'all would looky here who made it in good time with out me havin' to go roust him outa the sack. 'Mornin dearie, Sleep well?" There's that wink again. I snapped-to in mock salute and when he turned back to the stove I made a rude gesture at him with my hand. Every one laughed.

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
          • Aug 2023

Breakfast behind us, it was now time to see what the day held for us fishing wise. We went up to the fishing deck and Jim and Wayne had every thing ready for us. Billy and I had tossed a coin and I won first strike. Wayne dropped the baits and the wait began...it began but it was a short wait. Whamm-o! Fish ON!! I jumped into my fighting chair and Wayne buckled me in. My BillyStiX Spiral Wrapped Rod was now in my hands and I'm getting control of my fish. He startled every one when he make his first jump. It was a big sail and he seemed to want to spend as much time in the air as he could. He gave me several good jumps, complete with head shaking and tail walking. My heart was about to jump out of my chest. This fish was trying to pull me out of the boat. I was in complete control, thanks to my BillyStiX rod but I was letting him get his air and letting him show me his stuff. In order to not tire him too badly I finally brought him along side the boat and Billy and Wayne released him to swim away and fly another day. What an exhausting fight that was. Billy and I were doin' the High five thing when the other rod went off. Billy turned and raced for his fighting chair. Wayne got him in his harness and handed him his BillyStiX rod. Billy and I were both accomplished fishermen but I could tell by the look on his face that the power of his fish had surprised him. He got control of the beast and played him like a cheap fiddle, always in control. We all caught our breath at the fish's first jump. It was another sail and it looked to be bigger than mine had been. Billy started to whoopin' and hollerin' and he was having a great time. His fish was airborn for most of the fight. The spectacle of this great creature and his determination to escape his fate was a thing I'll not soon forget. Watching Billy's skillful mastery of the contest was nearly as good as catching a fish myself. When the fish came along side Wayne and I set him free to rejoin his brother. We held up our BillyStix rods and touched them as two men about to have a sword fight while Molly took some photos of the two triumphant warriors and their weapons. The pics we took of the fish were awesome but that pic of me and Billy With our crossed BillyStix rods was my favorite.

That evening we were fishing a wreck that Capt'n Jim had put us on and it was a glorious evening. The last vestiges of a purple sky slowly turned to black and the stars came out, one by one, until the night sky looked just like a squillion flickering fire flys. The smell of the sea on the balmy Caribbean breeze was intoxicating. We decided to give the fishing a break and just enjoy the night sky for awhile. We had planned to stop by the little dot of an island that had been home to me and billy for almost 4 years. We just had to see it again. For good or ill, that tiny island was a part of our lives now and we knew that we'd always be drawn back to it from time to time. I called the skipper and asked him to join us on the fishing deck. When he got there we invited him to sit with us and have cool drink. We asked him how soon he could have us at the island. He said that he'd have to take a look at his charts to be sure but he though tha the could have us there by mid-morning tomorrow. Billy asked him to lay in a course for our island and prepare to stay there for the rest of the day. Jim said he'd see to it and excused himself to go set our new course.

We arrived about 10:45 AM and dropped anchor about 1/4 mile offshore. Wayne lowered the motor launch and Billy and I headed for the beach...the same beach that greeted us, what seemed like a lifetime ago. We got out of the launch and walked up to the edge of the jungle. We could see our huts and without speaking, I headed to mine and Billy headed to his. Everything looked the same. the crude furniture I'd crafted from palm fronds and small tree limbs looked untouched. Except for the layer of dust and sand on every thing, it could have been only moments since I last saw what now filled my eyes. When I came out Billy was standing there waiting for me. Neither of us could speak yet so we turned and walked a little deeper into the jungle. As if guided by radar, we arrive at the little pool of fresh water that had sustained us. It's black sweetness shimmering in the shade of the giant banana trees that surrounded it. I went to my knees and cupped my hands and slid them into the cool liquid. I raised my hands to my mouth and drank...wow! I had forgotten how great the water had tasted. Billy also drank from the pool and I could swear I saw a tear form in his eye. He quickly turned away, I thought, so I wouldn't see. I said nothing, I just smiled a knowing smile.

We found the little skiff we had been working on when we got rescued. Billy asked the question, to no one in particular, "Wonder how long it'd take us to fnish that little boat? I bet we could get around to the other side of the island with that." I didn't reply because I knew he wasn't really talking to me. Again, I just smiled and said nothing. As we headed back to the Spiral Dreamer we agreed to return soon, and often, to stay a few days and keep our huts in good repair and perhaps finish that boat while we were at it.

number of wonderful memories. One night at dinner Jim brought up the point that there were some aspects of the boat that were beginning to need a little looking after. We all agreed that it would be nice to return back to Florida and spend a week ashore while the Spiral Dreamer underwent a few minor repairs and adjustments. We could visit old friends and lay on fresh supplies of our favorite commoditites. It's a real problem, trying to find some of the simple things like your favorite tooth paste or you favorite brand of breakfast cereal in some of the more remote corners of the globe. We all agreed that it was time to return home and we were all a little surprised to discover that we were so excited about it. Wayne surprised us all by announcing that he didn't think we needed to go back. He said it would be a waste of time and we could easily wait another 3 or 4 months with out any problem. Jim let him know right quick that the decision was made and we were going to set a new course immediately for the Florida coast. Wayne acted sullen and began to pout but no one snapped. No one paid any attention to him as be began to mutter under his breath. No one noticed when he stood and left the room.

It took us a little over 2 weeks to get back to home port. During this time Wayne did his job but his here-to-fore affable personality and easy smile were no longer in evidence. He was quite and sullen and spoke to no one unless spoken to. If one of us tried to initiate conversation or tried to tease him into one of his generous smiles he'd just mutter some short, clipped answer and walk away. We were curious but we still didn't realize the serious implications of his strange behavior. When we had docked and were about to get on the gang-way and go ashore, Wayne went clumsily by in almost a run, his heavy seabag on his shoulder, he didn't look at or speak to any of us. Just scrambled down the gangway to the dock.

It was then that we heard the police sirens. We looked on in surprise and shock at the scene unfolding in front of our eyes. Wayne was running down the dock and 4 police cars were chasing him. At the end of the dock they had him surrounded and when he reached in his jacket pocket one of the cops shot him in the leg. We all went running over to the scene and the cops put up their hands to warn us off. A cop asked us if we knew the guy and I said yes He works for us his name is Wayne Butler. Even before I finished saying that the cop was looking at the ground and shaking his head. He said that we should all prepare ourselves for a shock. He wasn't exaggerating one little bit.

Some time back a plastic surgeon from Texas turned himself in to the FBI in Houston. He told the story of a distraught, deranged young man that came to him for plastic surgery. He wanted to completely change his appearance. The doctor said that he felt sorry for the kid and that he'd try to help him. The surgery went well and while the young man was healing the story came out and his true motives were revealed. He told the doctor that his girl friend had been kidnapped by an evil tyrant that was the leader of an egvil cult who wanted to do harm to his lovey girl friend. Where he made his mistake is that he gave his real name to the doctor. The doctor seemed to remember reading a story in the papers about a young man named Josh Johnson that was wanted for stalking the beautiful lady friend of a couple of celebrities from the fishing world and threatening to kill them all. He did some checking and learned that this was the young man he'd just operated on. He was wanted by the law and so was his shoe-stealin' dog Baxter. He had planned to get a job on the new boat that Molly's friends had and that he planned to kill them and save Molly and that they could live their live the way they wanted from then on. The doctor said that he told Josh that he now knew the truth and begged him to turn himself in to the authorities. Josh said he never would and that night he slipped out of the hospital and disappeared. The doctor wrestled with his delimma for months and finally decided to come forward with the truth.

I looked at the bleeding young man on the ground and could not see even the slightest trace of resemblence to Josh Johnson. And now he was snarling so ferociously that he no longer resembled Wayne Butler any more either. As the ambulance attendants loaded the furious Josh/Wayne thing into the ambulance he swore his revenge. He looked at Molly and his gaze softened and he cried that he was sorry and that he would make it up to her.

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
            • Aug 2023

The week passed slowly. I had called a friend of mine in Texas who was a fabulous carpenter and very good with machines and a general whiz at trouble shooting and fixing all kinds of things. Rick (Cool Change) Forester said that he'd be delighted to join our little band of sailors and he'd hop the first thing flying to Miami. We met him at the air port and we all had a great reunion. Rick was also a great singer and guitar player and that evening, on the foreward sundeck, under a starry, moonlit sky, Rick sang and played some great song for us. We were 2 days away from depating on our next and greatest adventure and it was good to have Rick with us. The next morning he was still playing for us when the sun began to turn the eastern sky into a mixtue of orange sherbert and electric pink bubble gun. We took him below and got him settled in his quarters.

The next morning we gave Rick a tour of the boat and when he saw the small woodworking shop his face lit up and he said that he needed to go into town and check on something. About 3 hours later he shows back up...riding shotgun in a lumber truck. He jumped out and immediately had the driver loading his goods aboard the boat. We saw Teakwood , mahogony, rose wood, cherrywood and birdseye maple. I asked him if he planned on rebuilding the entire boat. He just grinned and said that all this was just for a few little knick-knacks and some light trim work. He also said that he was going to make Billy and me both, our own rod racks for our suites, to hold our favorite BillyStiX rods. Billy had a small rod building shop aboard and we had been keeping all the rods in there. I don't know what Billy was thinking but I was having a vision of my new custom rod rack against the bulkhead, right next to the large porthole that looked out at the sparkling sea. And that fine looking rod rack was loaded with all my favorite BillyStiX Spiral wrapped rods.

The following morning we were getting ready to make sail. Destination, the far horizon. Darrell had whupped us up a good breakfast. We wanted to eat aboard ship so we could get an early start. We all went up on deck together after breakfast to watch Florida disappear in our wake one more time. The raidio was on and tuned into a local station that played island music, the kind with lots of steel drums in it. An announcer cut in and informed the listening audience that during the night Josh Johnson had escape from the hospital right under the nose of the police guard that was staitioned outside his room. Details were sketchy and all that was known at this point was that Josh had escaped and no one saw him leave or knew how long he'd been gone. He had a slight bullet wound to his leg but it was only a flesh wound and not considered serious. The strange thing was that there was an envelope left on the pillow of his hospital bed. It was addressed to Molly. The police opened it up but refused to elaborate on its contents. We all looked anxiously at Molly as Florida disappeared behind us.

Poor Boy Makes Out 5: The Sea of Enchantment
            After 6 days and nights in Greece, we were all glad to get back out to sea. We had pulled in there planning a 2 day stop but we ran into a little trouble getting all the provisions we needed. It wasn't too bad, the food was good and the night life was all the fun we could stand. Whew, those Greeks do know how to party! Now that we were back on the water we all relaxed and fell back into our routines.

It had been 3 months since we left Florida the last time and the shock and mental trauma of the events that took place were slowly beginning to fade and the general mood was growing lighter and lighter every day. Now we were focused on the incredible Mediteranian Sea. The gorgeous waters and the spectacular small island chains with their unusual shaped formations were breath-taking.

The 3rd night out of Greece, Billy and Molly and I were up on the forward sundeck and Rick was serenading us, actually it appeard that he was serenading Molly but Billy and I were enjoying the mellow sounds of Ricks voice and guitar, when Captain Jim came up and said that he was getting some stranged activity on the weather radar. Also that the satelite phones were all dead and none of our long range communications equipment was working. In fact, all our electronic equipment was acting hay-wire.

Billy, James, Darrell, Rick, Jim, Molly and I all met on the bridge and we all witnessed first hand what Jim had described. James posed the question if it might be related to some sort of weather annomaly. Well, no one had any opinion on that. The weather outside was currently very pleasent and mild. It was, however the middle of october and weather patterns could get strange in this region at this time of year. We tried to contact some land-based facility for weather updates but we could get no response on any of our Comm equipment. James went below to research some of the weather pattern information for the past 2 years for this area to see if anything popped up and said "howdy". While he was doing that Darrell and Molly went down to the galley to whip up some nachos and a pitcher of margaritas. Rick volunteered to set up the down riggers for a little trolling so Billy and I followed him back to the aft fishing deck. Rick selected a couple of likely looking plugs and dropped 'em and set up with 2 of the fantastic BillyStiX custom spiral wrapped rods. We still liked to think back on those two large sailfish we caught last summer. Those had truely been spectacular fish.

After an hour or so of trolling and no action Jim suggested we go to a wreck that was near by and drop a couple of baits. That sounded great to us so we rigged for the bottom while Jim put over and headed for the wreck. When we got there Jim informed us that we were in fairly shallow water, about 1400 feet and that he was painting fish....BIIIIG fish. Billy and I looked at each other and in unison we both said, " 'hunnert bucks?" and then in unison we both said, "Gotcha covered!" It had gotten to be a ritual. Every time we fished lately we always had a little side bet. Nothing serious but a little something to add to the excitement. We didn't keep score and no one ever paid off on the bet. It was just a routine we went through, it gave us both a laugh. We were fishing with cut bait that we had caught that morning and the action started for both of us on the first drop. At the same moment we both had hits and they were both very heavy and very strong. We quickly got control of our fish, turning them toward us and preventing them from pulling us back down into the wreck. After we had them up a couple of hundred feet we backed off some on the drags and let them cut up a little. Billy seemed to have a bigger fish than I and we agreed that I'd go on and get mine up to the boat and release it and by that time his fish might be ready to come in.

It was in the next moment that our whole world was turned upside down. We were both so engrossed in fighting our fish that neither of us had noticed the changes that had suddenly occurred in the night sky and in the water. Rick had gone below to get some more bait, Jim was in the wheelhouse. James was still in the library, and Darrell and Molly were still working on our snacks and drinks. I felt the boat make a funny kind of side-swoop and looked up and when I saw the sky and the water I was paralyzed with fear. The kind of fear that stops your heart and your breath and bugs your eyes out and drops your jaw. The water was swirling like a flushing toilet and the sky was a dull greenish yellow but there was some kind of light source behind it causing it to look like huge flourescent lights behind a giant bruise. The sky began to swirl in the opposite direction of the water. Different colored lights danced behind the swirling sky.

The boat was amazingly still. We were just hanging right on the edge of the center of the swirl and it seemed we were held in place by some unseen force. Darrell and Molly came up topside with the snacks and I heard Molly scream in terror. They dropped thier trays and ran up to us and wanted to know what the heck was going on. It was then that Billy and I realized that we were still holding our rods and the our fish were still on. The fish were still on but the fight was now very different. They didn't feel like they were trying to get free any longer. We looked out and saw both fish come up to the surface...only... they weren't fish. We could NOT believe what we were seeing, it was insane, it just wasn't possible. Noooo Noooo.

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
              • Aug 2023

Every one came back to the aft fishing deck and we all saw it but we just could not accept it. We all exchanged glances but no one wanted to name what we were all seeing. To name it would be to make it real. Maybe if we closed our eyes and remained silent it would not materialize and not be real after all. But, Oh BABY, it was real alright. The creatures just seemed to hover just at the waters surface with their upper bodies exposed and their lower bodies beneath the water. They were looking right at us. My head began to spin and I felt like I could hear some one speaking to me. Only it wasn't sound, I wasn't hearing anything, I was sensing it mentally somehow.

The next thing that happened was that I went flying over the hand rail and, still holding onto my rod, I was being pulled thorugh the air right toward the creature on the end of my line. As I was tumbling I notice that Billy was having a similar moment. He too was holding on to his rod for dear life and he too was being pulled, inexorably through the air, toward the creature on the end of his line.

Now we are in the clutches of Soft hands, firm with out being forceful. The first thing I thought was that we would be drowned...if we weren't eaten first, that was. To my surpise I realize that I was breathing! I looked over at Billy and he looked back at me and just shrugged his shoulder. as if to say, "I dunno man, I just don't know!" I was trying to get my mind around that when I was startled to "hear" a soft feminine voice in my head..."Welcome to the Sea pf Enchantment." I strained my eyes so see better and the creature moved up close to me. Above the waist it was a woman, below the waist it was a fish. Okay, I tell myself, that's the end of late night snacking for me! I know this can't be real! But then she reached out her hand and caressed my face. I looked again and she was beautiful. Her beauty hurt my heart. She gave me her eyes and for a moment I was hypnotized, lost in the deep blue orbs that held me captive. Her eyes weren't human looking at all, They were like solid blue marbles, no iris, no whites. She grinned at me and asked me if the cat had my tongue. No, I thought back at her, I'm affraid it's a little more serious than that. Her lovely smile broadened and she said that she had something that she wanted to show me. She gently pulled me by the hand and I offered no resistance. I looked to my left and I could see that Billy was being taken by his new "friend" in the same direction as I.

We passed through beautiful rock formations and plant life. Brilliantly colored fish swam all around us and seemed curious about us. I had never seen any fish that looke like these. They were all different shapes, sizes and colors. We finally came to place where the water was a brilliiant light blue. The water around us was completely devoid of any other objetcs, no life forms of any kind and no rocks or any other objects at all. Just Billy and me and our new-found friends. Our hands were released and we were side-by-side and the creatures turned and faced us. Billy and I began firing questions at them with our minds: How come we can breathe, Where are we, What are you, and one that I was particularly interested in getting an answer to, are we going to die? They just smiled and their long, golden hair billowed around them and danced gracefully in the moving current. They didn't exactly look alike but they both had sky-blue eyes and they both had long blond hair and the both had cute little turned up noses. They told us that they were sisters and that their names were Sahree and Elera. They claimed to be the daughters of Marzatt, the god of the sea, and Chelestra, an enchanted dolphin. When we asked them how old they were they seemed confused Sahree, the one that had brought me here, said that they were ancient and that was all she knew.

I asked her why we had been brought here and Elera told us that sailors and seamen were often brought the Sea of Enchanatment to show them the magic and the wonders that were there. After a brief time here we would be returned to our boat and that we would always remember the events that had occurred. But that we must never tell any one or we would lose all memory of this time and these events. I couldn't help it, I laughed in their faces. I said well, what happens now do we get three wishes, or what? Sahree said that I'd been watching too many Saturday morning cartoons. I wondered how she could know about Saturday morning cartoons....don't tell me y'all have TV down here! She just gave me a knowing grin.

Billy said that he wanted a wish! He said he resented being dragged off his boat and pulled under the water, and having the bejabbers scared out of him, and he wanted a dad burn wish for his trouble. Elera gave him a stern look and said that we must first see what we had been brought here to see. Then they began to do a sort of swimming dance. It was very graceful and they were beautiful as they swam in, through, and around each others wakes. Mysterious vision appeared and disappeared as they made their graceful arm and hand movements. They arched their backs and swam in spiraling motions up and down and round and round us. We didn't know the meaning of the water ballet we were witnessing but it was magnificent. When they came back in front of us they said that it was not the custom but that we would each be given a kiss and one wish. After that we would be safely returned to the surface of the water near our boat. Before we could ask any questions we were each given a feather-light brush of soft pink lip against ours and then I sensed a probing in my mind. My deepest desires were being read. I could tell by the look on Billy's face that the same thing was happening to him.

A moment later we were on the surface of the water and the lovely creatures were nowhere to be seen. The skies and water had returned to normal and Jim and Rick were yelling at us. They threw us each a life preserver and we were taken aboard with out further incident. We were given towels and cups of hot coffee with a good measure of "Irish" for speedy internal warming. Molly was flabberghasted and wanted to know why we had not been buckled into our fighting chairs. I was confused for a moment and then it dawned on me...they think we were pulled into the water by the fish we were fighting! Billy must have snapped to it also because we both just started blustering and harumphing and mumbling something about doing better next time.

We had lost our rods but I don't think we were too bothered by that. Billy could easily make us a couple of new ones. We were eager to get off by ourselves and talk about what had happened to us. But it didn't look like that was going to happen any time soon. Every one was hovering over us and making a big fuss. I think Billy brought the moment to it's timely conclusion by jumping up and hollering at Darrell about what we were going to have for dinner. "Nearly getting drowned is hungy work, Padnuh! I need to get around a good thick steak and a big ole baked tater all dressed up for Sunday dinner!" Darrell, seeing the serious look on Billys face gave a quick salute and snappy "comin' righ up, boss" and headed back down to the galley. He stopped and turned and yelled at me. "What about you, you old buzzard, the same do for you?" I just laughed and told him that I wanted the same and that I wanted my steak rare. Just cripple it shave it and toss it on a platter for me. And when I stick a fork in it I better hear a big MOOOO!". He laughed and said that he was sure glad to have us back, he was scared that we were lost and gone. As he turned back toward the galley I do believe I saw a tear in his eye....That Darrell..............

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
                • Aug 2023

To be continued........

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
                  • Aug 2023

After a good dinner and a few rounds of rum punch every one headed off to their bunks. Billy and I stayed behind and when the others were gone we went up on the main sun deck. "Grab that bottle of Capt'n Morgan will ya Billy", I shouted. "Good idea", he called back and soon we were sitting under a canopy of stars and passing the bottle back and forth between us. No one spoke for a while. I guess it's kinda hard to start a conversation like the one we were about to have. Billy broke the ice, What the blue-duces happened out there tonight?!? I just don't trust my mind any more. This is not a Disney movie this is real life and stuff like this just does NOT happen. I thought for a minute and couldn't think of a sensible reply. Eventually I said that I didn't know what to make of it myself. We agreed that it must have been real because it happened to us both. "Did you see how beautiful they were?" "Yeah, I sure did! I'm old but I'm not blind!" I said. "Why didn't we drown?" I asked. He could only shrug his shoulders.

"Awright, we gotta talk about the wish thing", I said. "Do you think there was anything to all that nonsense? I never even got to tell what I was wishing for", said Billy. "Neither did I but I did feel something like my mind being probed. Like they knew right were to go to find my wish...very weird", I said. Billy wanted to know what I was gonna wish for and I told him that I'd tell him after he told me what he was gonna wish for. We smiled at each other and I told him to pass the Morgan. I Sipped a little rum and thought deeply about my wish. The truth of it was that I wasn't sure myself exactly what I would have wished for. Of course, what I was always wishing for was more fishng, better fishing, and better fishing skills. Not that I was no good at fishing or anything but most people who fish always want more and better, right? Right!!

Billy suddenly blurts out that he wants more fish! I laughed out loud and passed him the bottle. You better take a nice looong pull on the good capt'n there. You will not believe this! I told him that my wish had been identical to his. We speculated that we might have wished for a more serious blessing than just more fish. I pondered that a bit and then said "Why? We are both multi millionaires. We are in excellent health, we have loving families and friends. Neither of us could possibly live long enough to spend all our money. We can buy what ever we want. So what's the one thing we love that money can't buy?" Billy's eyes got huge and he grinned real big and we said MORE FISH in unison. He laughed and said that sometimes we sounded like a stereo.

Eventually the bottle went dry, as bottles will do, and we decided to turn in and see what all this looked like in the light of day, tommow. When we woke up and went to the galley the smell of biscuits and gravy and bacon and eggs and hot, fresh coffee assailed our olefactory senses before we even set foot in the room. Jim was already eating and he was very annimated. We couldn't get him to slow down and tell us what he was so excited about. Rick bagan to laugh and said that his instruments had been painting fish all morning. Not just the reefs or the wrecks that normally hold fish, but out in open water with nothing around to attrack bait fish or anything. Billy and I just looked at each other and smiled silently. They all saw the exchange and wanted to know what was going on. Oh, nothing I smiled and tried to look innocent. We just feel lucky today that's all. As I winked at Billy I started to rub my eye and said that I thought I had something in my eye. Billy rolled his eyes and said he'd meet me topside.

duration of the flight we thought about seeing all our friends and families again and all the wonderful food we'd have. Our web master, Monty Weeks, had made arrangements at a local facility to have us a huge party and all the folks at TTMB were planning on being there for the festivities and the big reunion.

After we had been settled in at our house in Freeport for a few days I began to wonder about our old friend Josh Johnson. I wondered if he was still on the loose of if he was currently residing in a branch of the Grey-Bar Hotel somewhere. I decided to give the Houston office of the FBI a call and inquire into the situation. I was not prepared for the story I heard.

identified by eye witnesses and by police mug shots. He was told who he was and what all he'd done. He expressed deep sorrow and said that he felt compelled to appologize to this Molly person and her friends for all the trouble he had caused. He asked for a minister come to see him so he could some how atone for his sins. A minister arrived and they had long deep talks way into the night, every night for weeks. Josh found Jesus and was trying to straighten up his life. He went to stay with the minister and his wife and he seemed like such a charming young man and had obviously been through so much that the minister and his wife felt sorry for him and began to love him as their own son. Josh had gotten a job at a machine shop in town and things were working out well. The police kept tabs on him and were surprised that he was doing so well.

One day just after Josh got home from work a police car pulled up and the passenger-side door came open and a large black dog came bounding out of the car and made a B-line for Josh as he came out into the yard to see the officers. "Baxter! Oh, Baxter! Where you been fella?" The minister came running out and asked Josh if he remembered the dog. Josh looked up with surprise all over his face. He said, "I do, I DO remember him. This is my dog!" The cops stayed for coffee and when the tried to leave Josh kept shaking their hands and thanking them. When they finally made it to the car, the driver looked over at his partner and said, "Nice kid. Sure hope things work out for him." "yeah, me too", said the partner.

The FBI agent went on to tell me about how over the next couple of months Josh's memory slowly came back to him. "Now", said the agent, "he has his full memory back and every thing. He is sorry for all the Wayne Butler business and wants to make amends. I asked him for the ministers phone number, I wanted to just see about this.

I called and the ministers wife answered the phone. I identified myself and she knew who I was immediately. She told me that Josh was a fine young man and that he was determined to make things right with me and Billy and Molly, especially Molly. I told her I'd have a talk with them and see how they felt.

After I explained Josh's situation Billy was still reluctant to trust him. Molly on the other hand decided to give him a chance. She was a very kind hearted girl and believed that every one deserved a second chance. We called and arranged to come out to the ministers house to see him. That way he'd be in his own enviornment and less likely to get upset or frightened. We pulled up in front of the house and Josh came outside. We all just stood around awkardly and then Baxter came up and started licking Molly's hand. She petted him on the head and talked softly to him and his tail was just a waggin'. He came to each of us and licked our hands and let us pet him. When he got to me he dropped his head and smelled my shoes. A stern word of warning from Josh and he straightened right up.

We met with Josh several times through out the holidays and decided to invite him and Baxter to the big party Mont and the TTMBers were throwin' in our honor, New Years Eve. The party was a huge success and every one was glad to see Josh and Baxter again. Billy and I talked it over and decided to offer him a job aboard the Spiral Dreamer, He greatfully accepted and thanked us and promised us that he wouldn't let us down.

The rest of the holidays past with out event and when we set sail on January 9th we had a special ceremony for Josh on the aft fishing deck. We had been watching him around Molly and he was always respectful and polite, even shy. Molly would tease him and try to get him to loosen up but he was still shy and ashamed of his previous behavior. We all told him we had forgiven him but it will take him some time to relax and rejoin us completely.

Billy had made Josh 3 brand new Custom Crafted, BillyStiX Spiral Wrapped Rods, for different fishing situations and when he made the presentation Josh teared up and said how much he loves us all and how thankful he was to have been given a second chance. Billy put his arm around Josh and said come on boy, lets get you to fishin'. You got some catchin' up to do in the fishin' department.

Poor Boy Makes Out 6: Evolution-The Final Chapter

It has been a while. 22 years to be exact, since the Spiral Dreamer and her stalwart crew chanced upon the Sea of Enchantment while cruising the Mediterainian Sea. It has been said that time is the fire in which we all burn. I suppose that's the God's honest truth. Doesen't matter in the least whether you are rich or poor, a powerful leader or a insignifigant insect, time makes no distinction and Father Time will ultimately have his way with us all.

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
                    • Aug 2023

I am a very old man now. My knees are gone and my over all health picture is in a relentless state of decline. Still, my mind is sharp and, with more good days behind me than ahead, I spend my days reliving the adventures that filled my life with a rich texture that others can only dream about. The one thing that I seem to spend the most time thinking about is how much I miss Billy. He passed away in his sleep one night, 14 years ago, aboard the Spiral Dreamer. That day we had had one of the most exciting days of fishing of our lives. That evening, after dinner, we were sitting out on the main sundeck, under a starry sky and having a taste of rum and enjoying some heavenly Cuban cigars. Billy seemed to sense that his time was drawing near. The talk turned serious and he seemed unsettled and anxious to tell me something. We reflected on the past and said how we were glad we met and that our friendship had turned out to be the best thing in both our lives. We took turns recounting one tale after another of all the places we'd seen and all the things we'd done.

When we stood to head to our suites, Billy stepped up to me and gave me a big old bear hug. Neither of us spoke as he turned and walked off toward his final night aboard the Spiral Dreamer. I was over come with a sense of dread. An ominous feeling swept over me and I slept fitfully that night. Next morning We were all at the breakfast table in the galley and Billy's glaring absence was weighing heavy on my heart. The conversation was lively and laughter rang out and filled the room. Molly looked over at me and said, "Think I'll go check on Uncle Billy." "That's okay Molly, I'll go", I said. The moment I opened the door and saw him I knew. His face was peaceful and a slight smile gave him an expression of complete contentment. I sat on the edge of his bead and touched his cool forehead. Good-bye, my old friend. Thank you for the years of good friendship. You were a good man...you were and honest man...you were a man I was always proud to call my friend. I will never forget you. I said a small prayer and left him there in his peaceful slumber.

The others were inconsolable when I returned to the galley and broke the news. Jim had finished eating and returned to his duties on the bridge. I asked Josh to go and get him that I had something to say and I only wanted to have to go through it one time. When he returned they all sat around the table and looked anxiously at me, each face a mask of dread. "We lost Billy last night." My voice sounded, to me, like it was coming from an echo in another room. Every one was frozen in shock and tears flowed like a river. Jim said it best when he said that, "Billy has gone now but he's had a long happy life and he left this earth painlessly, in the company of the people he cared the most about and doing what gave him the most pleasure. What more could any man wish for". The wisdom of his words rang true but the heart-break was going to take all of us some time to come to terms with.

We decided to give Billy a traditional burial at sea. Captain Jim presided over the ceremony and Billy's earthly remains were committed to the briney deep. So long Billy, you will forever dwell in our memory. Rick sang a beautiful song he had written for Billy and we all stood with tears in our eyes as we had our last glimpse of our friend as he embarked upon his new life under the sea. Perhaps Elera would find him and they would return to the Sea of Enchantment. It pleased me to think so, anyway.

What I'd like to do now is to invite you all to come back with me across time. Let me take you back and recap the last 22 years and get you caught up on the events and current status of all of our lives. It's about all I think of these days and it would be no small comfort to me if you would indulge a tired old man. And besides, you might like to see how every one turned out. So come with me now. Let's go for one last adventure...one last ride aboard the Spiral Dreamer. It all happened about like this.........

Billy and I decided a couple of years later to share our experiences of the time we were swept up in the Sea of Enchantment. We missed the thrill of a good fishing day now that it was a sure thing every day. Some how it seemed that the uncertainty of not knowing if we would catch fish or not added to the anticipation and excitement. Seemed that it was the days we didn't do so well that gave balance to our fishing pleasure and made the days of good fishing all the more exciting. Anyway, the others had been after us to tell of our experiences. They seemed to sense that it was a whole lot more than just a couple of old fools falling out of their boat. We knew that it was the right thing to do. We prefaced our story by telling them that it was just between the 8 of us: Rick, Jim, Darrell, James, Josh, Molly, Billy and myself. We were going to be quite serious and we would brook no snickering or laughing or guffawing. At the first sign of ridicule the story ended, never to begin again. We were going to be giving up a very special gift and we were happy to do it because we could no longer keep our secret from our sea-faring family. The room got still and jaws dropped. you could have heard a pin drop. There was not one person in the room that showed any sign of disbelief. There were a few questions and then every one seemed to accept our tale.

Later that summer, we were cruising the South Pacific/East China Sea area around the Ryuku Island Chain. I had served a total of nearly 2 years on the island of Okinawa during my days in the service and we had paid "The Rock" as it was called in those days, a little vist. We pulled into the port at Naha, on the southeren end of the island and I excuse myself for the day leaving the others to entertain themselves as best they might. I grabbed a cab and headed north to the little village of Henoko. I didn't recognize the place. I wandered the streets for an hour or so but I just couldn't make a connection with the past in this unfamiliar little village. I caught another cab and went south to a little village called Kin Village. I'd had a serious love affair with a beautiful girl there and I wanted to see if I could find here. I was able to find her family and learned that she had died a long time ago. Her family told me that up until the time of her death she still spoke of me often and never forgot all the good times we had, rippin' around the island on my scooter. With a sigh I said my farewells to her family and headed back to Naha, my nostalgic urges satisfied.

We put to sea and a week later we were sitting out on the aft fishing deck, all of us talking and sipping rum. We were doing a little trolling but the action had been slow all morning. James Pointed to a little spec on the horizon and asked the crowd in general if that could be a ship or a boat of some kind. Josh picked up a pair of binocculars off the table and studdied the "spec" for several minutes. Then he told us that it was indeed a power craft and it was headed straight for us at a good clip. We all followed Jim to the bridge and when he pulled it up on radar we learned that it was indeed headed right for us...at a speed of 45 kts. As it got closer and more details of it's appearance became visible, Jim said that he was not comfortable with the look of the boat and the agressive attitude with which it was bearing down on us. We had a quick conference and came up with a game plan. Josh and Darrell donned wetsuits and scuba gear and slipped quietly over the starboard side, out of view of the oncoming boat. They swam around and positioned themselves off the port bow, in a position where they could observe what was about to transpire. When the boat was within hailing distance they fired a shell accross our bow and ordered us to heave-to and prepare to be boarded. They did not respond to Jims attempts to contact them on the radio. As they pulled up along side of us they lowered their launch and motored over to us, all the while the two scruffy looking characters that stayed aboard the pirate boat stood on the deck of their boat and pointed their fully automatic weapons at us.

Three filthy, grizzled looking characters came aboard the Spiral Dreamer and approached us where we sat on the aft fishing deck. "This every one?" inquired the leader. "Yes" I said, "there is no one else aboard." "you better be tellin' me the truth, Pal". Molly blurted out the obvious question, "What are you all doing...What do you want?" They all laughed, "Why, ain't you never heared of PIRATES, little lady?" It was the leader again and he was looking very hard at Molly and I didn't like the expression on his face.

They had all of us to go below and gather up all our valuables and all the cash on board. They kept Molly with them and said that she'd be alright as long as every one co-operated and did as they were told. Well, we weren't about to take any chances so we just held our breath as we got all the loot together and silently prayed that Josh and Darrell had a plan working. When we arrived back on deck with the loot one of the pirates came over and snatched all the bags out of our hands and scuttled back over to his boss. All the bags were emptied on the table and their contents examined. They raised their eyebrows in pleasant surprise when they saw the haul they had just made.

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
                      • Aug 2023

"You folks have been very helpful. I know it don't seem fair but here is how this is gonna end; you boys are gonna feed the fishes and we are going to be the new proprieters of this fine craft. 'Course now, we'll just have to keep the little lady with us for, shall we say, entertainment purposes!"

They all laughed and we all just looked at each other, frightened and thinking that it was not too soon, no sir, not too soon at all, for Josh and Darrell to make their move and give us the upper hand. Just at that moment there was a tremendous explosion on the pirate boat. Instantly, the entire craft was engulfed in boiling flames and sinking hard by the fantail. Josh and Darrell had slipped aboard and silently dispatched the two remaining pirates and scrounged around and found some C-4 explosive and detonators. They rigged the stern of the boat, working in total silence and the two pirates kept their attention, and machine guns, trained on us. The bombs rigged and ready for action, Darrell and Josh slipped off the boat with all the stealth they had used to get aboard. Unbeknownst to any one, they submerged and swam back around to the other side of the Spiral Dreamer, out of sight of the men on the pirate boat and all of us as well.

They silently slipped aboard our boat, took off the scuba gear and pulled out their hand guns and made their way to the aft fishing deck. Just when the other pirates were deeply engrossed in their newly-acquired wealth, Darrell detonated the charges on the pirate boat.

In the blurr of the next few moments, Josh and Darrell steped out and pointed their weapons at the pirates. "Drop them shooters and eat deck", snarled Darrell. They all turned in unison and seeing only 2 men with hand guns decided to go for it. It was the worst, and last, mistake those idiots made on earth. Darrell juked left and Josh juked right, each firing as they fell sideways. The pirates began spraying bullets right up the middle, where Josh and Darrell had been moments earlier. When the smoke cleared and the dust settled the bad guys lay on the deck, ozzing blood and life. Darrell and Josh regained thier feet, unharmed and, holding their weapons on the pirates approached and kicked their machine guns over the side. All three of the pirates succomed to their wounds in a matter of seconds and we tossed their stinking carcasses over the side. Now the only evidence that any of this had happened was about 3 gallons of blood on the deck and about a hundred bullet holes in the superstructure behind where Josh and Darrell had been standing. All easily repaired and cleaned up. There was no sign of the pirate boat and no floating trace of it or any of the pirates.

"Good Night Nurse...That was CLOSE", cried Molly. "Too dang close to suit me! I need to fish for a couple of hours to calm down. I gotta go below and get me my BillyStiX Spiral Wrapped rod and catch me some FISH. Any one care to join me?" It was Billy's way of blowing off the tension of the last hour. He was grinning broadly and Rick and Josh and Jim and Darrell and James all thought that sounded like a good idea. While we all made a dash for our BillyStiX rods Molly headed to the galley to whip up some lunch and a couple of pitchers of rum punch. The rest of the day was spent frolicking on the aft fishing deck catching fish. Those great spiral wrapped rods landed us a goodly number of fine fish. We kept a few for supper and safely released the rest. We all pitched in and cleaned up the deck the next day. James and Josh got some tools and a bucket of spackle and plugged all the bullet hole. A little paint and now there was no visible evidence of the shoot out that had happend just a couple of days ago.

The following summer, we had returned to Florida and had a nice shore leave. I took care of Billy's affairs and no mention was ever made concerning our encounter with the pirates. All that three weeks in the past, we were now in the area of the Bermuda Triangle and I was up on the aft fishing deck giving my favorite BillyStix rod a good work out when Josh and Molly came up to me. They both had very excited grins on their faces and they were holding hands. The dawn of realization must have been obvious on my face becaused they seemed to recognize it and understood that I knew what they were about to announce. I stood up because I wanted to be on my feet when I heard what I was sure I was about to hear.

Molly squeezed Josh's hand as if to encourage him to get on with it. Josh cleared his young throat and looked me in the eye. "MollyandIareinloveandwewannagetmarried" He blurted out. "Whoa nellie", I cried. "Well, it's about time, is all I got to say!" Hugs and hand shakes all around and then we went to tell the others.

The mood aboard the Spiral Dreamer was festive to say the least. We all scurried around to decorate the main sundeck, where the ceremony was to be held. Darrell slaved in the galley to prepare a feast befitting the occasion. Molly busied her self in the days before the big event making her wedding dress, which was gorgeous. Not your typical wedding gown, mind you. Oh noooo, but a beautiful, long, form fitting dress with puffed up sleeves and tight at the waist with a long sash tied in back The dress was white with beautiful red, orange and pink hybiscus flowers printed all over it.

The Day of the ceremony we all dressed up to the nines and Captain Jim was beaming in his dress white captians uniform. Rick had written some special music for the day. Not traditional wedding music but soft, sentimental music in the style of the islands and expressing sentiments of love and devotion, befitting the occasion. Molly was a vison in her dress. She wore a hybiscus wreath on her head and carried a bouquet of fesh tropical flowers she had taken from the garden on the foreward sundeck. When she and Josh walked down the make-shift aisle, Josh stood tall and proud, a handsome young man with his bride upon his arm. And Molly...Molly was the loviest sight my old eyes had EVER beheld. My heart was fit to bust. I was SO happy and SO proud of them both. They had grown very close over the time since Josh had come aboard. They were inseperable and we all kinda figured that they would some day marry.

We waited a few days to give them some privacy for their honeymoon. Then I called every one together in the galley for a meeting. Billy had instructed me to wait until Josh and Molly got together before revealing what I was about to reveal. Billy had left full ownership of the Spiral Dreamer to me. A fact which every one knew. The other terms of his will had been known only to me and it was now time to inform ever one of all the details.

Billy had claimed ownership of the island on which we had been stranded for nearly 4 years. He engauged a marine engeneering and construction company to build a proper house on the island. It was a big house, providing plenty of room for new-comers to the Johnson family. He had a solar power plant built and had a pier built that went out all the way to the reefs. He had a 20 ft sail boat built so Josh and Molly could sail around the island when ever they wanted to. The house and grounds were fully equipped and provisioned and contracts had been secured to have new supplies and provisions delivered to them every other month. Sattelite phones and other high powered communications equipment were in place as well. Josh and Molly sat there dumbfounded as I explained all this to them. I handed them all the papers and legal documents and turned to Captain Jim and asked him if he'd mind plotting a new course, back to mine and Billy's Island. Jim smiled at Josh and Molly and said that it would be his pleasure and he'd see to it immediately.

When we set them ashore we all went ashore with them to see the new house and facilities. Plumbers had installed plumbing, drawing from the dark sweet pool in the jungle. Everything was just wonderful. We stayed one night and as we set sail the next day tears flowed and promises were made to stay in touch and as we watched them, standing out on the end of their pier, they waved and blew kisses until they were so far away that we could no longer see them. It was to be 10 years before I saw them again.

Billy had left each of us a generous inheritance. I, of course was already a multi millionaire but Billy did leave me the boat. Each of the other took their inheritance and made new lives for them selves. We had all had our adventure aboard the Spiral Dreamer but now, with Billy gone, we all knew it could never be the same. We decided to call it a dream come true and seek our seperate fortunes wherever we could find them. I hired a new crew and continued to make my way around the oceans of the world. It all felt so empty now. the new crew were fine, hardworking and loyal folks but it just wasn't the same. Still, a life on the sea was the only life I knew and the only life I cared for. My remaining days, such as they were, were going to be lived free on God's blue oceans if I had anything to say about it. It just never occurred to me that I might not have a say-so on that one.

Comment

• Walkin' Jack
                        • Aug 2023

Jim

Jim built a charter fishing business based on the island of Barbados. He started with one boat and over the next 5 years, built his charter business to 2 new facilites, one on ST. Thomas and one on French Martinique, with a total of 10 boats. His charter survices were popular with fishing enthusiasts all over the free world. He provided expert fishing for all his customers. He hand picked and personally trained all his captains and each boat was equipped with only BillyStiX rods. Every one wanted to get some of their own but Jim would never part with any of them. He had qutie a few but he knew that there would never be any more and could not bear to part with even one. The last I saw of Jim he had retired back to Texas and was just enjoying the vast fortune he had built. We stay in touch but I haven't seen him in a while now.

Darrell

Darrell opened a restuarant in the Caymen Islands. He specializes in crawfish and has a clientell that comes from around the world to sample his fare. He became the most sought after chef in the world and eventually did a live TV Special once a year from his restuarant. His fame and reputation as a chef of impeccable taste and class remains today and he can still be found in the kitchen, dousing swamp dust on the latest batch of bugs. What is the name of his restuarant? Why, he calls it The Galley, of course!

Rick

Rick built a fancy recording studio outside Nashville, Tennessee. He worked day and night on it and over-saw every aspect of its design and construction. He devoted all his time to his music and within 2 years of the completion of his studio, he had earned the reputation of a solid and enduring entainer. He had developed his own brand of Texas style music. It was a little bit country, a little bit blues, a little bit rock, and a whole of the heart of Rick himself. He sold more records that any artist in the history of recorded music. He entertained kings and presidents all over the world but he never forgot his friends. He maintained a permanent home on Baffin Bay, in South Texas and he made it a point to spend a month there every summer just fishing and hanging with his friends on the TTMB. He also came home every year and stayed from Thanksgiving until after new years. I talked to Rick only last week by sattelite phone. He has had to slow down a bit but he still loves his music and he still love his home and friends in Texas.

James

James built a huge offshore construction company. He spent the first 3 years getting the company on its feet and by the end of that time he was known the world over as the best in the world. After he had the company established he settled down at his home in League City, Texas and built him a pretty elaborate shop. In his shop he liked to tinker with different projects that intrigued him. He had blossomed into quite an inventor and soon he had many people coming to him with all sorts of ideas and projects. Several of his inventions were really great and earned him a vast fortune and reputation as one of the most brilliant mechanical minds in the world. The last I heard from James he was busy on his latest brainstom and his future seemed to stretch on into infinity.

Well that about catches us up then, I suppose. As for me, I had a stroke 5 years ago. Never made a complete recovery. Josh and Molly were kind enough to take me in and care for me. They both told me that they had come to think of Billy and me and surrogate fathers and they insisted that I come and spend my remaining days there, on the island with them.

It hurt me to do it but I sold the Spiral Dreamer. It turned out pretty well after all though because I sold it to one of Darrell's cousins. Her name was Wendi and she was a cop. Darrell had used some of his inheritance and had set her up in her own private security business and it had really taken off. She made a fortune and when she made me an offer on the Spiral Dreamer I knew that it was meant to be. She said that she was gonna have an all girl crew too. She hired all her friends from the TTMB. She hired Kim (Reel Woman) as her captain, Jan (Fishin' Chick) as here fishing mentor, guide and personal accountant, Trudy (Allicat) came aboard as chef and also to help with the fishing instructions and guiding. Pat (Full Stringer, and kay (Castaway Kay) signed on as general hands. I hear they are continuing the tradition of many high adventures on the high seas and that Wendi, now that she doesn't have to worry about getting out of the boat to wade fish if she doesn't want to, has become quite the accomplished fishin' gal. Most days, I hear, she can be found on the aft fishing deck, bending her favorite BillyStiX rod and puttin' a whuppin' on the fish.

I am content, these days, to spend my evenings in quiet reflection. I usually get Josh or Molly of one of the kids (They have 4 kids now. Twin boys that are named Billy and Jack, are 17, a pretty auburn haired 15 year old girl named named Sahree and a precocious little blond haired 13 year old girl named Elera) to wheel me out in my wheel chair. Usually, whoever gets stuck with that chore would stay with me for a while and we'd talk. The kids are special and I love them all as if they were my own grandchildren. Josh and Molly love each other very much and we are all very, very happy, living together on our own little island.

We lost Baxter the year after Elera was born. He was old and could no longer run and chase the critters in the jungle and hassle the sand crabs on the beach. He had always been a strong hearted dog and one night while Josh and Molly were fishing out at the end of the pier, old Baxter just put his weary old head down on his front paws and gave a big sigh. He closed his eyes and slipped quietly and peacefull into that place were all good dogs go. A place where the rabbits are easy to catch and the days are alway warm spring days with blue skies and endless fields of wildflowers. Josh was heart broken but Molly said she'd call and have our next shipment of supplies to inclued a cute black puppy, just like Baxter had been years before.

When the new pup arrived he turned out to be an exact replica of Baxter, I tossed him one of my old flip-flops that Baxter had been particularly fond of and he just looked at it. Then he raised his big, brown, sad-looking eyes to me as if to say, "what'dja want me to do with that?" I just grinned and said, "Well , it was a long shot but I just had to try." Josh named the new pup Buddy. He said that the little fella just looked like a "Buddy" to him, so Buddy it would be. Josh and Buddy were wresteling around on the floor and Molly looked at me and said "What have we done?" We all laughed as the wresteling match on the floor continued.

Some times when I'm having a good day, I'll dig my crutches out of the back of the closet in my room and struggle my way up the path, into the jungle and over to the old huts that Billy and I had built in another time. Not much left now but as I enter my old home, I'm flooded with memories of my life and all the great friends I have known and all the great adventures I have had. I count my blessing and I know that I am indeed a lucky man. Among the most vivid of my memories is the thrill of sitting on the aft fishing deck of the Spiral Dreamer, my BillyStix Spiral Wrapped rod in my hands, locked in mortal combat with some magnificent creature of the deep. I know in my heart that this will be the last movie that plays behind my eyes as I close them for the last time.

Is that the end you ask? No, there can never be an end on the journey through life. There can only be.......EVOLUTION FINI
                        Last edited by Walkin' Jack; 05-10-2024, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...