Generator Price

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Batwing
    • Aug 2023

You can get a 15000W Duramax portable with electric start dual fuel for $2500. This is able to run everything you need: https://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP15000HX-Portable-Backup-Generator/dp/B0BDQQ7PHG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GV1COLL89N17&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Gym 7owMhGiim7fRtq3gVNqC2RZL3Npk0l5iSeTPYbk-PoQhquCuwBfXKLOzxXTRP0VyUiUj14KOSWYMkb8y1QuAYPB3D1 OvIZjJ2a9NIXMFSUkO2CUEpwCfRdKr5DJSy_QL8fl2vaOiywGb 4PacUm5NbNzOxsvem2L1P5_R-y3fK_s5769BJSRVbbTPcuqVrkgbpQL5npU6bc1KqI2agIhehpf wQUeKTKDQMSULCC3o.JHSrU7rz5vBdrXNF5aoLresV5mTLME1e drqh8np7nuc&dib_tag=se&keywords=duromax%2Bgenerato r%2B15000&qid=1716285654&sprefix=duramax%2Bgenerat or%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-3&th=1

Comment

• Waterguy
      Waterguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok call amazon when you have a problem or you run out of gas.i will be 60 this year and just trying to make things a little easier. I have a big electric start generator from northern tool that I should be selling on the classified section very soon it's never been used.

• ROBERT.PARSON
      ROBERT.PARSON commented
      Editing a comment
      and the tri fuel version is only another 500, which is ridiculous, but it makes it gas plug in ready for 99% of most folks
      ​​​​​​​

• Batwing
      Batwing commented
      Editing a comment
      They have over a dozen service locations around Houston and if Amazon is scary for you try Tractor Supply as a local buy. Either way its a 3rd of the cost and you can take it with you or use for other projects. I've already bought 2 auto/whole-home gensets from Generacs to GE's and wont buy another. https://www.duromaxpower.com/apps/service-centers 800 # Support, Local Support and communicate on all SocialMedia Apps.
  • DIHLON
    • Aug 2023

I installed my 20KW Kohler and ATS myself. If you have electrical experience and can read, it’s not that difficult. The labor cost to have a company install one for you, in my opinion, is absurd. I guess they can justify it because it is a “luxury” item. The Generacs are even easier. The wiring between the generator and ATS is color-coded. It’s hard to screw that up.
    Last edited by DIHLON; 05-21-2024, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• SGrem
      • Aug 2023

I'm glad we went whole home generator. Last time we lost power is in one of those violent lightning rain storms in the middle of the night.....didn't notice we were on the Gen till about noon. Was thankful I didn't have to get out in the middle of the night and set up a generator in the pouring rain.

You know how irritating it is when your smoke alarm battery dies at 3am....you have to get a ladder and redo all that to make it stop.... now imagine it being exponentially worse setting up a gen at 3am when you lost power in a hurricane or tornado....

Time before that was same scenario....except I was out of town. My wife thinks I am a hero so that SHE didn't have to get out in the rain to set one up. Which she is full capable of but greatly appreciates the seamless operation.

I always said I hope it's the biggest waste of money. I had two big portable backup gens when i bought the whole home. Sold them. And i agree the install cost matching the gen cost is out there.....but they did a better job than i would have....
      Last edited by SGrem; 05-21-2024, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Mrsh978
        • Aug 2023

As mentioned - where the “ fuel “ is coming from is a major consideration. If natural gas in house , it simplifies the install. Propane burn rate is high and a larger tank is needed.

Comment

• dwilliams35
          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Mrsh978
          As mentioned - where the “ fuel “ is coming from is a major consideration. If natural gas in house , it simplifies the install. Propane burn rate is high and a larger tank is needed.
          That's always my problem with it: adding a second 500 or 1K gallon tank to run a generator is going to double the upfront cost on the project. I'd almost prefer a diesel, I always have plenty of that around and it's quite simply easier to get diesel tanks refilled than it is propane tanks if we're into hurricane recovery mode. I could do install myself with zero problem, so that's off the table anyway.

I've had a conversation with my employer yesterday, I had bought him a couple of sizeable LP generacs 10-12 years ago: he's really, really not happy with them now, lots of phantom shutdowns for no particular reason: The last time was a rusted pinhole in the muffler inside the cabinet that tripped some sensor or other and bricked the whole unit. Not just throwing alarms, but full shutdown for a very minor exhaust leak. The current portable I'm running I got in 1999 to make sure I had water for the cows in the Y2K hysteria, it ran 21 hours straight this time without a hiccup. I think I'm going to look long and hard at other units before I get something on the 10-12 year disposable plan..

Comment

• Wado II
            • Aug 2023

Some pics when ours was installed. I wouldn't have tried installing it myself these guys are pro's and still had to make two trips back to their shop to get stuff. I would have rather had a 1000 gallon tank buried but would have had to move a fence. I was supposed to have gotten a 250 gallon but the place they get the tanks from set a 500 and a 1000 on their trailer and they set it up. Just before they dug the ditch to bury the line I asked the guy what size it was he said 250 it's what is on the work order I showed him the label under the lid 500 right there. Ended up costing more but worth it get more run time if you need it. Click image for larger version

Name:	cstcK6b.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	109008 Click image for larger version

Name:	uHaeQL8.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	109009 Click image for larger version

Name:	XcKwqlD.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	109010

Comment

• BDGreen
              • Aug 2023

I think we paid around 10K when ours was installed in 2017 while the house was still under construction. I have a maintenance program with the installer and a monitor that let's me and them know when the generator cranks up and shuts down. We have been without power a few times, most notably the freeze in 2020, and it's comforting to know we won't freeze in the winter, sweat our butts off in the summer or lose food in the 'fridge or freezer.

Is it expensive to purchase and install? Yes it is, but I spent more than that for my boat. I guess it boils down to priorities.
              "The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee, CSA

Comment

• beerdruid
                • Aug 2023

Originally posted by SGrem
                I'm glad we went whole home generator. Last time we lost power is in one of those violent lightning rain storms in the middle of the night.....didn't notice we were on the Gen till about noon. Was thankful I didn't have to get out in the middle of the night and set up a generator in the pouring rain.

You know how irritating it is when your smoke alarm battery dies at 3am....you have to get a ladder and redo all that to make it stop.... now imagine it being exponentially worse setting up a gen at 3am when you lost power in a hurricane or tornado....

Time before that was same scenario....except I was out of town. My wife thinks I am a hero so that SHE didn't have to get out in the rain to set one up. Which she is full capable of but greatly appreciates the seamless operation.

I always said I hope it's the biggest waste of money. I had two big portable backup gens when i bought the whole home. Sold them. And i agree the install cost matching the gen cost is out there.....but they did a better job than i would have....
                The newer portables like Duramax and Westinghouse have remote start capability. Don't have to go outside in the middle of a storm,

Comment

• KWeber
                  KWeber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  unless it's stored in the garage....
              • Trouthunter
                Administrator
                • Aug 2023

It's funny but sometimes we lose power but I don't know about it and only find out if I go outside and hear the generator running lol.

I bought our Cummins generator not only because of hurricanes but for freezes. We lost power during the bad freeze on Sunday and didn't get it back until the following Thursday. My portable 5500W generator ran essentials but not the central heater.

My wife said never again.
                Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• dwilliams35
                  • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Trouthunter
                  It's funny but sometimes we lose power but I don't know about it and only find out if I go outside and hear the generator running lol.

I bought our Cummins generator not only because of hurricanes but for freezes. We lost power during the bad freeze on Sunday and didn't get it back until the following Thursday. My portable 5500W generator ran essentials but not the central heater.

My wife said never again.
                  That's one thing good about gas heat: no problem running that central unit on a portable then. Those 5500's pretty much let you run basically normal during the winter, you've just got to jockey some stuff around as far as air conditioning during the summer.

Comment

• Trouthunter
                    Trouthunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Our central heat is natural gas but I had no way of tying that 220 system into the generator.

• DEXTER
                    DEXTER commented
                    Editing a comment
                    On natural gas heat only electric needed is 110 to run control and fan I believe.

• dwilliams35
                    dwilliams35 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, furnace is 110v, no big deal to run it unless you're just extension-cording it to individual appliances..
                • Newtron
                  • Aug 2023

5500 portable generator. We used our gas furnace during the last freeze and power outage. Woke up cold at 3am and said wait a minute…. I can fix this.
                  I was a hero for a short while.
                  We’d love to help you out. Which way did you come in?

Comment

• Waterguy
                    • Aug 2023

One thing about these Generators being installed. Some of these installs look like $hit doesn't anyone care or take a little pride in there work . After all these are our Homes.

Comment

• Go Fish
                      • Aug 2023

Are those 20 to 20kw generators capable of running three-phase power. I have an old house with two three-phase AC units.

Comment

• dwilliams35
                        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Go Fish
                        Are those 20 to 20kw generators capable of running three-phase power. I have an old house with two three-phase AC units.
                        it’s a different generator, and probably will cost you a good bit more money. 3 phase transfer switch, etc: it kinda takes it out of their consumer grade equipment and into a whole different world..

Comment

• Mrsh978
                          • Aug 2023

190 gallons will run 7 days- 24 hr op.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...