Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ox Eye
    • Aug 2023

This is News to Me ...

... but I read where "The last Volkswagen Beetle rolled off the assembly line in July 2019 at the company’s plant in Puebla, Mexico. It marked the end of an era for this iconic car, which had captured hearts worldwide since its inception. Although the Beetle won’t be gracing the roads anymore, its legacy lives on in automotive history."

Glad to see this! Personally, I made the mistake of owning one. I learned real quick to park on a hill or slanted area of a parking lot. It had this nasty habit of not starting and invariably had to be push started. Finally traded it in at a Volkswagen dealership for a VW van. It wasn't much count either, but with paisley curtains in the windows it was a passable "hippy" mobile in the early '70's. 😎

• Tsip
    • Aug 2023

I'm sure a lot of us remember playing slug bug on every road trip growing up.
    Unrecoverable Saltoholic

Comment

• Buckweet
      • Aug 2023

Owned a super beatle and micro bus

rebuilt engine twice. Drove to Mexico pacific coast in bus, 3 day trip each way. Loved them. Yes they do float…….

Comment

• Ox Eye
        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Ox Eye
        ... it was a passable "hippy" mobile in the early '70's.

My time-frame was slightly off. It had to be the late '60's. In 1970 I bought a brand-new Ford Torino GT. Now, THAT was a dragster off the showroom floor!

Comment

• coachlaw
          • Aug 2023

Dad had a '62. We called it the "Red Baron". That thing LIVED, and lived, and lived. I remember when I was in kindergarten our neighborhood flooded terribly. My mom told me to get the pirogue and go find the "Baron". I found it and had to tow it home from down the street. I tied it up to the front porch to keep it from floating away again. My brother drove it through high school. It hit 255,000 miles the day he graduated in '84. Dad donated it to the my brother's Catholic school and for years we'd see the Brothers driving it around town. I remember helping them replace the engine when I was 9. We actually picked the back of the car up and took the engine out the bottom. What a great vehicle. EASY to work on.

When I was in high school one of my friends had a '74 beetle. We picked it up and put it in the back playground area. After football practice the coach found out and made us put it back in the parking lot. He didn't know anything until he was walking outside and saw us carrying it. LOL.
          From 1970-1997, true Heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thans for buying the Camp."

Comment

• 2Ws
            • Aug 2023

My first car was a VW, was always working on it adding big heads, carbs this n that, got to where I could pull engine after school, do whatever and drive to school the next morning. Was building a pipe buggy with a Corvair 150hp engine BUT garage burnt to the ground and my dunebuggy went up in smoke.
            M R Ducks....M R Not....O S M R...C M WANGS....L I B...M R DUCKS

Comment

• OneDayScratch
              • Aug 2023

Saw one on a lot with one of those faded paint jobs and said ooooooo gotta have it.

Stupid

Needed barney rubble in the passenger seat kicking his little feet on the road thru the hole in the floor to make it go.

German engineering my ass...
              BOT
              Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

Comment

• Buckweet
                Buckweet commented
                Editing a comment
                If you can not fix an old VW to make it run, go get electric car or call Uber............

great engineering, even the heater. uses exhaust to provide heat, when it fails you die in the cold!!
            Working...