Visit and support our Site Sponsor

Anna Maria Island, FL - Anyone here ever been?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steelersfan47
    • Aug 2023

Anna Maria Island, FL - Anyone here ever been?

Anyone here ever been to Anna Maria Island, FL for vacay before? We are heading down from PA in a couple weeks for our family beach vacation and never been that far south in FL. Any tips on things to see or on the fishing? Will be taking the surf gear and hoping and praying we can hook up with a snook or tarpon from the surf. I think the timing may be good for that...at least I am hoping and praying. If not, a couple 5-6' sharks from the surf would do just fine and make my son happy.
    Anyone know anything about good charters in the area?
  • mstrelectricman
    • Aug 2023

Beautiful place. I’ve been there but didn’t stop.
    Electrifying our customers since 2001.

Comment

• snookered
      • Aug 2023

yes, have been in the area, but didn't do much fishing....don't forget to try for pompano as well (and whiting as by catch, which is your shark bait)...
      jay

Comment

• KWeber
        KWeber commented
        Editing a comment
        was gonna suggest pompano, to...
        check fla rule and limits
    • bucko
      • Aug 2023

Great spot for vacation, nice beach, good food and fabulous people watching. I didnt find the fishing that great. Locals would soak bait at the north side of the island, I fished a few jettys/piers but didnt catch anything mid island area. I want to say the beach front is pretty shallow for a ways out. I like the fishing around Boca Grande and Sanibel better, but think the hurricanes got them pretty bad.

Any who, funny story. I am at Bortells lounge grabbing a pizza and a few beers and meet this local drunk hippy guy who is about 65 years old. We talk about fishing, the island, politics and life in general. Tell him I am from Texas and he asks if I know a guy named Darnell from Houston. I tell him that I dont, and ask how he knows him. Turns out they spent time in Huntsville together for running drugs from Mexico to Florida on boats then 18 wheelers. He tells me about their entire operation, the drugs, money, boats women, etc. It is like a movie. The entire time I am thinking this went down in the 80s, then he tells me he got out of prison 3 months ago on something like a 5 year charge. Oh Florida.

Comment

• Whaler76
        • Aug 2023

I have family that goes every summer and I've been a handful of times. Tarpon are possible in the surf this time of year but will be pretty hard to reach from shore. You really need a kayak or boat to get out to them. We see them regularly running in the surf. My cousin's kid caught a good one a couple years ago out of a kayak. Snook on the beach is possible, but I think they are normally there in bigger numbers earlier in the year, like march/april. We have done pretty good in the bays on trout over the years when my uncle brought his boat. It has been about 5 years since I have been though.

Comment

• steelersfan47
          • Aug 2023

We are a block off the point so thinking that deep water is looking close and pretty fishy....
          Thanks for all the info....
          Attached Files

Comment

• Capt Mike
            • Aug 2023

Great tarpon spot. Best on the falling tide. Pass crabs are the ticket. You can get a net and usually scoop up some. You’ll know when to go as the boats will get thick. Beautiful beach as well

Comment

• Pasty Gangsta
              • Aug 2023

Eat at Bridge Tender Bar and Grill. They have a restaurant and beach side bar and grill. I love the outside bar. Pretty cool.

Comment

• steelersfan47
                • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Capt Mike
                Great tarpon spot. Best on the falling tide. Pass crabs are the ticket. You can get a net and usually scoop up some. You’ll know when to go as the boats will get thick. Beautiful beach as well
                Do the boats get so thick as to hinder surf fishing during the day? I would assume this is a pretty good spot for sharks too during tide changes, esp. at night. We did decent on Amelia Island on the east coast last year at night for sharks so hoping to up the game some this year. Would like to get my son on something b/w 5'-6'. My gear likely wouldn't handle anything more than that and I hope I dont get tied into a big hammer or 8'+ bull as I will likely get dumped on the reels I have.

Are the pomps around this area too this time of year? Def. would like to get some to cook up. Caught a lot of smaller ones last year but that was later in the summer. We will def. be targeting whiting for shark bait and ladyfish too. Big chunks of ladyfish were our best bait last year.
                Last edited by steelersfan47; 05-24-2024, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Capt Mike
                  • Aug 2023

The boats usually don’t get thick till the tides starts rolling out. Would think you could still fish. There are sharks and have seen people fishing for them on the inside off the beach. I forgot to mention the “StarFish Seafood Co.” In Cortez. Must do. Fresh market with picnic table waterfront dining. Incredible seafood at great prices with buckets of beer. Grouper sandwich or anything else and can buy in the market to cook at home. Your entire family will love it. Fort Desoto Park and fishing of the Skyway are a couple other things to look into

Comment

• baystlth22
                    • Aug 2023

If you want free pompano bait sand fleas are there for the taking, To add to good food, if you can find it smoked mullet is delicious. Hope you have a fantastic trip.

Comment

Working...