Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouReed
    • Aug 2023

The Storm and Me

I've been out of commission for a week because of the storm. I have power, but still no fiber (internet). Here's my story.

I live in the Houston Heights, one of the worst hit parts of town as far as damage and hundreds of downed trees, some a hundred or more years old.. And I work in the part of downtown that you might have seen on the news. 164 windows broken on my building, including some of the skylights over our main space.

As the storm approached, I was headed home from HEB after making a quick stop after work. As I got to within a block, it started to hit. By the time I pulled into the driveway, it was raining hard enough that I thought I'd wait it out. Dumb move. Within a minute, the winds were topping out at 50 mph, but 100 mph winds were reported in my area with, supposedly, 127 mph winds west of here. I heard a loud crack and looking in that direction, saw a large branch fall onto the street I had just driven on.

Next 10 minutes I was praying and texting the women-folk. It was like a 15 minute Cat 4 hurricane.

My house lost the top tab on about 10 shingles, half of them on the ridge vent, so no biggy there. The two trees I cut down along the power line last summer would have definitely come down, making matters worse. But power was out and since it came back on Monday, I still have no fiber and have spotty cell coverage.

The two office buildings my company occupies are in the middle of the worst hit part of downtown - the Exclusionary Zone. I am told I will be able to go back to my desk Tuesday after the holiday. I ain't holding my breath. In the meantime, I'm working on our basement level on a laptop, playing catch-up.
    Last edited by LouReed; 05-23-2024, 02:57 PM.
  • BDGreen
    • Aug 2023

Glad you dodged a bullet.
    "The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee, CSA

Comment

• Tsip
      • Aug 2023

Glad you are OK, LouReed.
      Unrecoverable Saltoholic

Comment

• older 37
        • Aug 2023

I live in Spring Branch, no damage but no power for six days. My backyard weather station hit 115 MPH before kaput.
        Old is just a number

Comment

• Buckweet
          • Aug 2023

Glad you fared ok. My old house not far from you took direct hit from large tree. Not my problem now, but still hurt seeing photos of damage……….

Comment

• WillieT
            • Aug 2023

Glad you are okay. Things could have been much, much worse.

Comment

• Bill
              Akula
              • Aug 2023

Scary stuff

Comment

• OneDayScratch
                • Aug 2023

I've seen some Houston pics. Thought we got nailed but lots of folks had it Much worse.

Yall be safe.
                BOT
                Bacon, Oysters & Tacos

It's not red vs. blue, it's the state vs. you

Comment

• SetDaHook
                  • Aug 2023

My mother's house is in the Heights and it got hit pretty hard. Spent all day Tuesday getting it back to normal. Worse than Ike and it was pretty bad then.

Comment

• portalto
                    • Aug 2023

Glad things did not go south for you. We were lucky in my little home off BW8 & 290. We were without power for about 8 hours. The rest of the subdivision finally received power Wednesday.
                    Who knew that the hardest thing of being an adult is figuring out what to fix for dinner and doing it every single night for the rest of your life until you die?
                    Annette

Comment

Working...