Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

Knife Sharpener

I have always used flat stones to sharpen knives. They can get very sharp that way, but keeping the knife at the right angle for entire length of blade is tricky. It is time consuming with Arkansas stones or diamond surface flat stones.

There are many sharpeners now with a clamp to hold the blade, then slide different grit stones across the blade. The angle is adjustable. Are these styles good? If so, it there a particular brand and model recommended?

Also, if you know of a good sharpener of a different style, let me know your preference please.
    Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 09-09-2023, 11:01 PM.
  • Steve Holchak
    • Aug 2023

Get a warthog.https://youtu.be/n-KKk3SY9n4?si=RWCbuW31fSxqInKe

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway

Comment

• Reality Czech
      • Aug 2023

I've used ceramic crock sticks for ages.

Can shave hair off my arm with just a few strokes.
      Twilight Zone Refugee

Comment

• Steve Holchak
        • Aug 2023

I got the latest version. It has a 15° option on it https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BJV...b_b_asin_title

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway

Comment

• CSN
          • Aug 2023

There is a feeling of soothing and satisfaction when you take your time to sharpen your knife on a stone, but I have recently chosen another path and absolutely do not regret it. I’ve gotten a Havalon and a couple of Benchmade knives, both of which I never have to sharpen. I only use the Havalon for skinning, but they make a filet blade as well.

I do have a Worksharp, and it is great, but I’m scared to use it on my more expensive knives. I sharpen my kitchen knives, lawnmower blades, shovels, etc with it.
          I told them we’ve already got one

Comment

• CSN
            CSN commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, I should have said I have the WS Ken Onion Edition.
        • chwoodall
          • Aug 2023

I have had one of these for a few years and it works great:

The Guided Field Sharpener is a complete sharpening solution for field, home or shop use. Designed exclusively for sportsmen and knife users who need a complete, robust and compact manual sharpening solution. It incorporates 5 stages of sharpening and honing, each with built in angle guides for a consistent bevel acros

Around the house or kitchen at work, I'll grab a coffee cup and use the bottom... but that only works if you have a decent edge on the blade already.

Comment

• CSN
            CSN commented
            Editing a comment
            You don’t have a steel for around the house?
        • Outklassed
          • Aug 2023

I purchase an Apex Model Edge Pro from 2Cool classified adds 8 or 10 years ago, slight learning curve, but has excellent results. I believe there are better options in this style available but this one serves my needs for myself and family.

Comment

Working...