Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouReed
    • Aug 2023

Tax Day Fun

I have filed my taxes electronically for about 15 years, but before I started doing them that way, I'd usually ride the lightning, putting my return and a check in the mail on the final day. On more than a couple of occasions, I would drop it off around 10:00 pm at the downtown post office to be postmarked before midnight.

Well, the e-File I tried first on 04-06 was rejected because of the electronic verification. I tried again 4 times last week, including again Sunday night of this week. Rejected despite everything being correct. I honestly believe it was the on-line tax service I paid $40 for that was trying to extort more money out of me for the $22 upgrade. Last time I'll use them.

I called a friend who is a tax accountant (though on a corporate scale), and explained and she said, "just print it out, attach your W-2s and write a check." She said she never files electronically.

So for the first time in 15 years, I mailed the IRS my return.
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

I try my best to be 100% honest with the IRS; I don't want them to get down on me. I have filed electronically for many years now. However, most of my life my income taxes have probably been more simple than average. I always use TurboTax and do it myself.
    I did pay a service once. My Dad had me overseeing money that he meant for my kids college. The IRS apparently feels that some use such a tactic to try to avoid income tax. All I know for a fact is that it was much more complicated than it needed to be.
    I am old fashioned in many ways, and in general have been late to get on board with many things that are done electronically these days. But the ones where I have tried electronically have been easier and faster. Per my bank, electronic paying of bills is much safer that writing and sending checks. But again, just me, I don't generally allow automatic withdrawals; I must take the effort to pay my bills monthly over the computer rather than allow them to just deduct from me.

Comment

• Rubberback
      • Aug 2023

I've always sent them a check. I've always hated paying taxes because the money is just wasted. But this year had to be the worse. I sat there writing this check and kept thinking this is ridiculous . I'm supporting wars in corrupt countries and illegals coming into our country.
      It just sounds wrong.
      Meet Kilo

Comment

• 2Ws
        2Ws commented
        Editing a comment
        It IS

• WhiteBassFisher
        WhiteBassFisher commented
        Editing a comment
        We all tend to repeat ourselves on here. But your post above is so honest ... spot on .... i had to agree. The "supporting wars in corrupt countries and illegals coming into our country" is what I refer to. But you only touched the tip of the ice burg in how we have wasted money since January of 2021.
    • RRbohemian
      • Aug 2023

I notice that the irs debited our account only after one day of filing our taxes. In the past, it would take a few days before they would steal our money from our account. Maybe biden has this country's finances in such a shambles that the irs needs money badly. It took a few days before Williamson and Matagorda counties took our money--guess Texas is not hurting for the cash as much as the feds.
      Why am I so cynical of the media and the government these days?

Comment

• LouReed
        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by RRbohemian
        I notice that the irs debited our account only after one day of filing our taxes. In the past, it would take a few days before they would steal our money from our account. Maybe biden has this country's finances in such a shambles that the irs needs money badly. It took a few days before Williamson and Matagorda counties took our money--guess Texas is not hurting for the cash as much as the feds.
        My friend noticed the address for mailing "If you are sending money" is in Charlotte, NC, rather than Austin, which has been the address for many years. She assumes it is a specific mailing address that will only sort and deposit checks & process NO REFUNDS.

Comment

• RRbohemian
          RRbohemian commented
          Editing a comment
          I would not doubt her. I bet those commies pulled the money out of our account as soon as I press the Submit button.
      • DCUnger
        • Aug 2023

LOL, worth a try! Click image for larger version

Name:	436869069_400177976108384_5592926663956216779_n.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	98617

Comment

Working...