Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Aug 2023

Market jacked up

Lost a f ton last week and a half. ItCatchy what do you think about it. Self immolation?
  • Its Catchy
    • Aug 2023

There are guys that are a lot better than me when it comes to investing. I have been out of the market since 2021, taking the sure 5%. I have missed out on some gains but I sleep better at night.

Comment

• JSimpson
      • Aug 2023

Maybe small consolation, but if there is anything I've learned in handling my own investments over nearly 40 years, a week and a half is way too short of a time frame to be looking at. Even with recent correction, S&P 500 is still well positive year to date.

For myself, I've noticed that more often than not I end up regretting decisions made based purely on short term results. Not always, but definitely the majority. I would consider a few months, maybe even a year to be short term. If I'm a firm enough believer in a certain stock or sector, the dips make good buying points over the longer term.

i tend to be pretty diversified, which helps smooth things out. If you're more of an "all the eggs in one basket", things change considerably.

Comment

• Its Catchy
        • Aug 2023

I am waiting for AMZN to drop below 100
        again then I’m going all in!

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by JSimpson
          Maybe small consolation, but if there is anything I've learned in handling my own investments over nearly 40 years, a week and a half is way too short of a time frame to be looking at. Even with recent correction, S&P 500 is still well positive year to date.

For myself, I've noticed that more often than not I end up regretting decisions made based purely on short term results. Not always, but definitely the majority. ..........
          If a youngster asked me about how to invest, I would say just put it in S & P 500 index and don't look back. Over the long haul it is great and not nearly as much mental pressure as trying to play all the angles. Being able to sleep at night is huge in my book.

I have lost a butt load lately, but I feel confident in the long run all will be okay.

Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 04-19-2024, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Spinky
            • Aug 2023

This^^^

Comment

• Rainbowrunner
              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by WhiteBassFisher

If a youngster asked me about how to invest, I would say just put it in S & P 500 index and don't look back. Over the long haul it is great and not nearly as much mental pressure as trying to play all the angles. Being able to sleep at night is huge in my book.

I have lost a butt load lately, but I feel confident in the long run all will be okay.

Agree 100%
              My favorite essential oil is bacon grease

Comment

• huntman
                • Aug 2023

For me it depends on where one is in life. Outside of 5 years to retirement then stay fully invested. If within 5 years of retirement or already retired and drawing income from you investments then the amount of market risk should be lower. Recovering from a significant bear market while still having to withdraw money is a tough thing to overcome IMO. For example, if a $100,000 investment loses 30% it takes more than a 30% gain to get back to even. Compound that with having to take income withdrawals during that downturn and the amount needed to just get back to even is even more significant

Comment

• Its Catchy
                  • Aug 2023

In 2007 Warren Buffet bet 1 million dollars that a simple S&P 500 index fund would outperform any basket of hand picked hedge funds over a 10 year period. He won easily. I figure if the best investors in the world can't beat the S&P 500 over time why should I even try? So I just invested and let time do the rest. That is until 2021 when the Buffet Indicator got so far out of wack and inflation got jump started and I decided I had enough...

If I were young again I would take Mr. Buffet's advice and let time and the law of averages do their thing...

Comment

• Isitfighting
                    • Aug 2023

Bitcoin? Never thought it would be where it is at right now

Comment

• Trouthunter
                      Administrator
                      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by WhiteBassFisher

That's what my son did.
                      Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• Drrpm2004
                        • Aug 2023

Just a simple correction and is always needed in the markets. Take that chart and zoom out, they all continuously go up and always will. Honestly, most people are pretty happy with their returns over the last couple years in the market, I know I am. TSLA is getting to some juicy levels BTW
                        Really would like to have that finance chat here like before..

And BTW, crypto has been killing it lately. The Bitcoin halving just took place and I think we'll see another low over next week or 2, then it's off to the races. I personally believe Bitcoin will hit 100k this year if not 125k. For ones information, I don't invest in Bitcoin personally. I trade all the other fun stuff in cryptoland as they have alot more upside than Bitcoin itself but that's me.
                        For those who think crypto is a scam and it has no purpose, many coins out there are scams and you really have to do your due diligence before investing. Cryptocurrency isn't going anywhere, I don't care what the so called "analysts" say.
                        Last edited by Drrpm2004; 04-22-2024, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• 98aggie77566
                          • Aug 2023

There have been some huge ups and downs, and the teeth gnashing to go along with it.

But over time, the market has done what the market does....it goes up and to the right...if it doesn't we all have way bigger things to worry about.

S&P returns:
                          20 Year. 352%
                          10 Year. 166%
                          5 Year. 70%
                          3 Year. 20%
                          2 Year. 18%
                          1 Year. 22%
                          1 Mo. -4%

Comment

• Matt
                            • Aug 2023

Need that market forum area.

Comment

• Drrpm2004
                              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Matt
                              Need that market forum area.
                              I've requested it a few times now and refreshed it as well. Has anyone heard or seen Mont lately?

Comment

• DEXTER
                                DEXTER commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Y'all are getting it done here and lots of people viewing it but not commenting. I am one of them.

• Drrpm2004
                                Drrpm2004 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Mont responded and looks like we'll get the finance forum back online soon after upgrade to website. Personally, I'm a member of several financial groups online and they are all part of my due diligence when looking at certain investments to enter. Even if you don't comment but gain something from just reading posts, that's a good thing. I'm the type of person that loves to see anyone do well and take back money from any market.
                            Working...