Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bocephus
    • Aug 2023

Umpires

What do y'all think ? There are some bad ones no doubt !

Aaron Judge ejected vs. Detroit Tigers. MLB / BaseballMLB 2024 Voice Over Alteration, Edited Per Fair Use Act Grunttalksmlb.com Altered MLB Content Voice Ov...
    I miss the America I grew up in.
  • I Fall In
    • Aug 2023

I thought the pitch was a strike, definitely too close to take with two strikes. Don't know what Judge said to him but it looks like he said it and walked away. Seems some of the umps have really thin skin nowadays, or they're on a power trip. On the flip side though many of the divas playing are constantly in their faces questioning every call because they are entitled superstars.
    I miss the baseball I grew up watching.
    Shoot the messenger before he delivers the bad news.

Comment

• SGrem
      • Aug 2023

Bad calls are part of the game. The chit talking is too.... play the game. Stupid.

Comment

• 2Ws
        2Ws commented
        Editing a comment
        I've always taught my kids that
    • Unknownstrohsfan
      • Nov 2023

Catching umpires when they are on their period is a part of the game too since the beggining of time. The players see them more often than their wives, so they have too be reminded that some times the red button has a more sensitive trigger than other times. There could also be some history there.

Comment

• Bushwhacker
        • Aug 2023

With all of MLBs efforts to speed up the game, I wonder if the umps have been instructed to toss people early and often.

Comment

• 2Ws
          2Ws commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope....BUT it is another BS item he must watch and rule on
      • 2Ws
        • Aug 2023

Some are good some are beyond HORRIBLE, ALL a player/coach wants is consistency....NOT consistently bad. A called strike is hard to argue because its a judgement call AND the book plainly states you can not argue a judgement call.
        Well cut my legs off and call me shorty

Comment

• 2Ws
          • Aug 2023

Angel Hernandez is the WORST in the MLB......and he don't care, hell last week he rung a guy up on 3 pitches that were clearly out of the zone.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
            • Nov 2023

Fun fact, Angel Hernandez is actually running at the league average so far for umpire suckage. That's huge for him!

Comment

• Spinky
              • Aug 2023

Max Scherzer had an interesting take on this last week. Suggested umpires should be monitored as far as their accuracy, with electronic calls matched against in-game calls. Bottom 10% or so sent down to the minors and be replaced by top minor league umpires.
              Not a bad idea. However, the umpires have a very strong union and I'm sure would fight that tooth and nail.

Comment

• 2Ws
                • Aug 2023

My dad was a 30 year professional umpire, he was old school, a pitchers ump and it would piss him off if another on his team shoes were not polished, he took great pride in being part of the game. I don't know how many times I've been approached by HS and college ex players, coaches and even fans telling me how well he ran the game OR was glad to see him behind the plate. I always thought the umpires got better as the level of play increased....I was wrong. In 30 years the only HS coach he 'put on the bus' was Ronnie Anderson from Orange AND the only one to ever do it.....

Comment

• 2Ws
                  • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Spinky
                  Max Scherzer had an interesting take on this last week. Suggested umpires should be monitored as far as their accuracy, with electronic calls matched against in-game calls. Bottom 10% or so sent down to the minors and be replaced by top minor league umpires.
                  Not a bad idea. However, the umpires have a very strong union and I'm sure would fight that tooth and nail.
                  They are monitored but not for what you describe, I think its a push for the replacement of the one behind the plate.

Comment

• wfishtx
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Spinky
                    I'm pretty sure they are monitored, but not so they can be replaced. I believe the monitoring now is simply to determine who gets to umpire playoff and WS games. No one is getting fired from MLB umpiring over how good or bad they are and you can thank the union for that.

I'll say this though, while balls and strikes are always up for debate, I've seen some umpires make some pretty incredible calls on the base pads. Their ability to determine safe or out within milliseconds and centimeters of the result of the play is pretty remarkable.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
                      • Aug 2023

Umpire accuracy in most aspects of the game are amazingly accurate to me, with "safe or out?" at first base as an example. Slow motion replays prove that. I ask an ump about that and he said they watch the runners foot and listen for the ball hitting the glove. Most mistakes I see are ball and strike calls. If they seem to be calling it the same for both teams it isn't so bad though. Umps should not be on a big power trip, but players need to keep strong insults out of it too. An ump should be able to take "I think that was outside" with no anger or power trip arising from it. But if the player says "You are an obviously F-ing blind idiot!" then I don't blame the ump for tossing 'em out. Keep it gentlemanly so to speak.
                      Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 05-06-2024, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Bandit1
                        • Aug 2023

Called him a corksoaker.
                        The artist formerly known as Johnbutte1

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Flounderface
                          • Aug 2023

Armando Galarraga's and his "Perfect Game" removed from the history books by a blatantly erroneous blown call by the 1st Base Umpire. Possibly the worst call in all of sports! Hard to argue with one being bigger but certainly none qualify above IMHO. Could be on a similar level however. So, DF, look at that please. And as I grew up, and I wish it still applied although not reinforced on the OP video, it is and should be "Any part of the ball over ANY part of the plat" so damn that square box. Pitches move. Stand up there and take a look. A foot outside then a strike. Or, as in most of the whiney assed outcries, the pitch either broke over the plate or dropped at such a pitch that the catchers glove where he catches the ball is not important. The "square box" is probably only 35% accurate, same as the umpires perception on questionable calls. As I grew up, listening to Tigers broadcasts and once in a while seeing one of 15 games a year on TV, if the UMPIRE stablishes early and consistently that the pitch is a strike than the batters communicate as such and the game moves on. Stop whining about that damn computer imposed box that is two - three feet in front of a pitch that is breaking beyond what Mother Nature intended. Nine plus times out of ten it is a strike. Swing the damn bat and stop complaining.

Oh yeah, and screw the Yankees!
                          Last edited by Flounderface; 05-07-2024, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• 2Ws
                            2Ws commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Agree on ALL points, my dad always told my son pitch to the umpires zone....if he's giving the outside....live there....if he's giving the low strike....live there. It would burn me up to hear a hitter complain about a outside strike in the last inning....damn son he's been calling it there the whole darn game....SWING THE DAMN BAT
                        Working...