Umpires

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

The superimposed rectangle on the TV screen can't be very accurate if I understand what a strike is supposed to be. That rectangle is just 2 dimensional, a plane. Where is it located depth wise, front to back, in relation to the plate?

However, a strike can barely hit a 3 dimensional rectangular cube anywhere. Also, the strike zone up and down is different on Aaron Judge than on Jose Altuve.

To make it even more complicated, that point on the back of the plate enters into it if you want to be 100% accurate. I doubt that point enters into it on a left/right basis, but it seems very possible that a baseball that is dropping quickly in that area could be slightly high until it reaches the back point and actually fall into the strike zone.

I realize that we have very sophisticated electronics now, but it seems to me it would have to be fairly sophisticated to be truly accurate.

Is this correct?

Comment

• WillieT
      • Aug 2023

I think it’s more accurate than most umpires.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
        • Nov 2023

They already have the technology to show it in 3D , and soon they will. Like you said some of the junk these guys throw is in the strike zone when it enters the zone but not when it hits the mitt, and vice versa. The umpire will just be there to judge swing/no swing, foul tips, plays at the plate, and balks and such.

Comment

• 2Ws
          • Aug 2023

Well cut my legs off and call me shorty

Comment

• Flounderface
            Flounderface commented
            Editing a comment
            Good stuff on there, part of the game.

• Unknownstrohsfan
            Unknownstrohsfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I gotta admit I could watch Harper getting tossed all day. Please don't take this facet of the game away from us.
        • wfishtx
          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by WhiteBassFisher
          The superimposed rectangle on the TV screen can't be very accurate if I understand what a strike is supposed to be. That rectangle is just 2 dimensional, a plane. Where is it located depth wise, front to back, in relation to the plate?

However, a strike can barely hit a 3 dimensional rectangular cube anywhere. Also, the strike zone up and down is different on Aaron Judge than on Jose Altuve.

To make it even more complicated, that point on the back of the plate enters into it if you want to be 100% accurate. I doubt that point enters into it on a left/right basis, but it seems very possible that a baseball that is dropping quickly in that area could be slightly high until it reaches the back point and actually fall into the strike zone.

I realize that we have very sophisticated electronics now, but it seems to me it would have to be fairly sophisticated to be truly accurate.

Is this correct?
          Its my understanding balls and strikes are determined based on where the ball crosses the front edge of the plate. It has nothing to do with the point on the plate or any other part of the plate, so it is 2 dimensional. This is why you may see a strike called that is caught outside of the zone (a breaking ball for example). The point on the plate is simply there to align the base lines and has nothing to do with the strike zone.

Comment

• 2Ws
            • Aug 2023

While playin in Kansas a kid(LH) on my sons team had a killer slider, stayed 6-8" outside to a RH hitter till a foot or so from plate then it cut the corner. The coach would ask the ump to get a look at it during his warm-up.....the ump seeing it without a batter led to a lot of Ks... hitters not picking up the tight 'dot' went back to the dugout mad.

Comment

• Flounderface
              Flounderface commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, but you're not in Kansas anymore! hahaha
          • Flounderface
            • Aug 2023

Originally posted by wfishtx

Its my understanding balls and strikes are determined based on where the ball crosses the front edge of the plate. It has nothing to do with the point on the plate or any other part of the plate, so it is 2 dimensional. This is why you may see a strike called that is caught outside of the zone (a breaking ball for example). The point on the plate is simply there to align the base lines and has nothing to do with the strike zone.
            I always thought any part of the ball over any part of the plate, front, back, left or right. The plate has depth, otherwise they would just put a stick there.
            A strike is a ball that passes through any part of the strike zone in flight. The strike zone being the entire plate.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
              WhiteBassFisher commented
              Editing a comment
              Since I am not really up on baseball. I didn't want to argue. I have seen this wording everywhere: “that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap.” The only place I have seen anything about the front edge was that some umps do tend to call it that way, even though the MLB rule states "area over home plate." I did not look for it until today, but did find several 3 dimensional diagrams. It seems that if 2 dimensional, pitchers who are really good at just hitting edges and corners would lose much of their edge. Who knows?

• WillieT
              WillieT commented
              Editing a comment
              That is my understanding also. Agree with Flounderface.
          • Flounderface
            • Aug 2023

Classic example.
            Attached Files

Comment

• 2Ws
              • Aug 2023

OK......I'm assuming some here have coached a game or two....SO has anyone other than I been tossed from a game? I've had it happen twice and warned on another

Comment

• Spinky
                • Aug 2023

Coached both sons in basketball and baseball for many years up through Jr. High, the youngest and his group in very competitive leagues, never once got tossed. Only time I came close was after an assistant in baseball (hot headed loudmouth) got tossed for opening his mouth one too many times. Went out to talk to the umpire, he wasn't very receptive and threatened to toss me, too.
                Saw many others tossed, never really understood the point. Not really doing the team a favor in my eyes. At least in those levels. College and pro a different matter..

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
                  • Aug 2023

This: Click image for larger version

Name:	LL.png
Views:	40
Size:	901.4 KB
ID:	107329

Comment

• 2Ws
                    2Ws commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The bottom reads "Little League" I got my kids out of LL at the age of 9......best move I ever made for them sports wise
                • Spinky
                  • Aug 2023

Bingo ^^

Comment

• 2Ws
                    • Aug 2023

I got tossed for taking up for a 10y/o....kid got thrown out at first, while running back across field he took his helment off, put under arm..the umpire threw the kid out of the game for a BS safety violation. I questioned it and he threw me out too. THIS is when it got dicey, he said I had to leave the park......BS.....I got the kid that that was restricted to the bench to take my rule book and show him where the BOOK said I had to only leave the vicinity of the dugout.

Comment

• Spinky
                      • Aug 2023

No question, select coaches were the most fun.
                      And no matter how select you are, it’s still Little League if they’re still in elementary school.
                      Last edited by Spinky; 05-14-2024, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• 2Ws
                        2Ws commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was Pony Ball for us....no select then

• 2Ws
                        2Ws commented
                        Editing a comment
                        First select team for son was in 97, a Rangers scout set my son up to play in Houston for Mike Rutleges fall league.
                    • 2Ws
                      • Aug 2023

I learned early on how to approach an umpire, like I posted above, my dad was an umpire 30+ years and he had a lot to do with my knowledge of the game and rules. I firmly believe as coach I have a duty to hold an umpires feet to the fire on the interpretation of the rules.

Comment

Working...