Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I Fall In
    • Aug 2023

Baseball HOF

Reading the Altuve thread and someone said he was a first ballot HOFer. Maybe it will change in the next ten years when he is eligible, but I think the writers who vote will take it upon themselves to punish him for the "cheating scandal" and make him wait a year. This has happened way too much, seems some of them let personal feelings dictate their votes.
    That being said is there a better way to decide who gets in and who doesn't? Damn sure can't be a fan vote the All Star vote has shown us that, you don't deserve to be in the HOF because you're popular. Players voting would also be skewed because it would be a hard decision to not vote for your teammate/buddy. The HOF members voting? Maybe but would team loyalty or relationships with the eligible players affect their decision?
    Is there a better way?
    Shoot the messenger before he delivers the bad news.
  • wfishtx
    • Aug 2023

I'm not sure of a better way unless you somehow remove the "people" aspect and make it strictly about statistics, wins, championships, etc. As long as people are involved there will always be some bias, but that's why they don't require 100% of the votes to get in.

As for Altuve specifically, if you try to hold a single year of his career against him and therefore you don't vote him in, then you probably don't want him in anyway. Even if you remove 2017, the guy is still a first ballot HOFer based on his accomplishments. Let him get to 3k hits, which he will and I think it all but guarantees his entry on the first try even with the cheating scandal.

Comment

• Jdusek
      • Aug 2023

I don’t see that happening. Now that being said he probably won’t make it on the first ballot. A lot of great players don’t.

Comment

• Bandit1
        • Aug 2023

Writers are absolutely going to punish him. It will take him several years to get in, if he makes it in at all. Those guys all hold grudges, hate Houston, and have east coast/west coast bias.
        The artist formerly known as Johnbutte1

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
          • Nov 2023

Pete Rose is in My HOF. Cooperstown is just a display with nice memorabilia.

Comment

• copanoson
            • Aug 2023

Hoping Altuve gets 3k hits (another WS wouldn't hurt either) to help eliminate any punishment for cheating, BUT, some voters may believe Altuve had more than 1 year of cheating and would not have achieved 3k hits without cheating. There are a handful of players who should probably be in the HOF but aren't because of their involvement with PEDs.

Hopefully Altuve won't be treated the same! He is one of very few players who remained loyal to a horrible team and became the centerpiece to a championship team!
            Last edited by copanoson; 02-13-2024, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...