X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bassguitarman
    • Aug 2023

Ford Just Reported a Massive Loss on Every Electric Vehicle It Sold

Thousand her, thousand there, and after a while it gets expensive:

Ford's electric vehicle unit reported that losses soared in the first quarter to $1.3 billion, or $132,000 for each of the 10,000 vehicles it sold in the first three months of the year, helping to drag down earnings for the company overall. From a report: Ford, like most automakers, has announced pl...

Ford's electric vehicle unit reported that losses soared in the first quarter to $1.3 billion, or $132,000 for each of the 10,000 vehicles it sold in the first three months of the year, helping to drag down earnings for the company overall.

In 2023, Ford Model e reported a full-year EBIT loss of $4.7 billion on sales of 116,000 EVs, or an average of $40,525 per vehicle, just more than a third of the first quarter loss.
  • RapturEd
    • Aug 2023

Musta been a Shocker ...
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    And do not lean on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,
    And He will make your paths straight.
    Do not be wise in your own eyes;
    Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.​

Comment

• Rubberback
      Rubberback commented
      Editing a comment
      LMAO! Looking for a gov kick back. Everyone is. Gov gives it and gets a vote. Its the Merikan way.
  • Wado II
    • Aug 2023

I asked my Farm Bureau insurance agent in Hondo if they had written any policies for battery powered vehicles. Answer was not yet, this was a few months ago. They had some Mach E Mustangs at the dealer there they thought might be on sale.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
      • Aug 2023

My guess is that Biden is heavily invested in some part of the EV situation. As example, he may be invested in lithium.

Comment

• ralph7
        ralph7 commented
        Editing a comment
        He should be, I heard it’s good for dementia. 😃
    • eightskate
      • Aug 2023

They are just laying back and whining waiting for more government subsidies.

Comment

• Bill
        Akula
        • Aug 2023

Factor in why their trucks are so high. How can they loose $132,000 on every electric vehicle?

Would you invest $1000 in Ford stock now?
        Think about this, if in 2005 the same $1000 in NVIDIA would be worth almost $500,000 today

Comment

• Matt
          Matt commented
          Editing a comment
          I was in on nvda in 2007 after deploying my first m2070 cluster. They were not integrated into the server boxes but external cases for the gpus connected with thick pcie cables. I knew right there it was something. Ford EV, not so much lol

• dwilliams35
          dwilliams35 commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah, what he said.
      • PassingThru
        • Aug 2023

There’s a reason Xiden makes so many trips to Nevada. Nevada has the only lithium mine in the USA.
        “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.”

Comment

• dwilliams35
          • Aug 2023

"The losses go far beyond the cost of building and selling those 10,000 cars, according to Ford. Instead the losses include hundreds of millions being spent on research and development of the next generation of EVs for Ford. Those investments are years away from paying off."

Not sure just how a write off like that would affect their tax structure.

Comment

• Rubberback
            Rubberback commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty sure Smoe will come to there rescue. So that means we will pay for it. See this is why I hate gov intervention. I like the private sector in control. They don't waste money like the gov does. Yes I know it doesn't always work out but they have a better record.
        • FishingTwo
          • Aug 2023

Hertze selling its telsa's
          "You'll Never Catch'em Like That"

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
            • Aug 2023

Probably the EV and hybrid market will evolve and become suitable for many people. An EV would be fine for a grocery getter. There is no reason why a very good hybrid can't be made that would satisfy many drivers. As mentioned before many times, railroad locomotives are hybrids.

BUT, this needs to be done in the proper order. I would be very leery of one now due to the scarcity of charging stations. How long does it take to charge? For just a grocery getter charging wouldn't be an issue, just charge it at home during the night. We will see over the next many years.
            Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 04-26-2024, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• dwilliams35
              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by WhiteBassFisher
              Probably the EV and hybrid market will evolve and become suitable for many people. An EV would be fine for a grocery getter. There is no reason why a very good hybrid can't be made that would satisfy many drivers. As mentioned before many times, railroad locomotives are hybrids.

BUT, this needs to be done in the proper order. I would be very leery of one now due to the scarcity of charging stations. How long does it take to charge? For just a grocery getter charging wouldn't be an issue, just charge it at home during the night. We will see over the next many years.
              The charging issues are RAPIDLY going away. In the last year or so, there's been 3 Tesla Supercharger stations and at least one other high-power charging station that have been installed within 15 miles of my house, and there's likely more that I just haven't seen yet. Those units will do 200 miles worth' of charging in about fifteen minutes if you go in with a low-level charge. (the "top" of a charge takes longer than the "bottom": the second 200 miles may take 45 minutes or an hour or so, for example..) It's certainly a little different dynamic than a stand alone gas station, they're putting them in around restaurants, HEB's, plus the one at Bucees: places where people are going to spend 15 minutes or more anyway.

They're certainly not for everybody, but one by one they're chipping away at the hurdles that were in place just a few years ago.

But yes, I agree that a hybrid makes a lot more sense for most people than a straight EV. It definitely would for me, anyway.

Comment

• copanoson
                • Aug 2023

My F-150 is a hybrid and other than getting a lot better gas mileage (avg 21mpg all driving) and getting used to the engine shutting off going to electric, you wouldn't know any difference than a full gas.

When traveling in the city under ~45mph the truck switches to electric until I need to speed up and then it switches to gas with no lag. I've noticed a significant improvement in MPG from my 2019 F-150. I also use the heck out of the 7200 watt generator in the bed. Comes in handy at the deer lease...We've used it to run power tools, lights and power our travel trailer during a power outage.

I was skeptical but liked and wanted the generator, and, at the time, only the hybrids offered the 7200 watt. I would buy another hybrid and looking at them for my daughter.

Comment

• 98aggie77566
                  • Aug 2023

Copano…I have the same truck…2021.

I moved down from a diesel F350…so it was a big change for me and a tough compare for pulling.

Buddy has an F350, and his wife has a 150 with the original gas engine…pre Ecoboost.

He borrowed it to pull his tractor out o his farm about 40 minutes away. 32 hp Kubota with loader and shredder.

He commented on how impressed he was with it…particularly compared to the old school F150. It’s definitely not the ride or power of a diesel long wheelbase, but he is a tough one to impress.

The only thing that scares me is….whats it gonna cost to replace this battery at around 100k miles i reckon?

Comment

• dwilliams35
                    dwilliams35 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    just take it in at 99,999= the battery warranty is 8 years/100k.. Lightning battery is 150k.
                • Unknownstrohsfan
                  • Nov 2023

Originally posted by dwilliams35
                  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...ld/ar-AA1nBsrC

"The losses go far beyond the cost of building and selling those 10,000 cars, according to Ford. Instead the losses include hundreds of millions being spent on research and development of the next generation of EVs for Ford. Those investments are years away from paying off."

Not sure just how a write off like that would affect their tax structure.
                  You can only make a WAG that R&D will EVER pay off, That is why R&D is it's own accounting column, not an individual cost in a single project.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                    • Nov 2023

Railroad locomotives are not hybrids in the green energy world. A train uses a deisel engine to run a generator to supply power to the drives, and the electricity to run the lights and and instruments and controls it does not switch over to battery on flat ground or down grades. No Diesel, No Go. Then there is the Electric train, think Harlem with 37 homeless people riding the 125 which uses a buttload of supplied current from the grid' once again, no BATTRIES.

Comment

Working...