Kristi Noem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

This forum can be educational. I am admitting my ignorance here, but I wasn't familiar with DW's comment about Peoria. I knew he wouldn't write that without a reason, so I looked it up.

Will it play in Peoria? is an American English figure of speech that is traditionally used to ask whether a given product, person, promotional theme, or event will appeal to mainstream United States audiences or across a broad range of demographic and psychographic groups.

Comment

• Slabmaster
      • Aug 2023

This whole idea that she must be stupid to bring it up is silly. I'm sure she knew the cat was gonna get out of the bag.....so best to get ahead of it.

Comment

• Bill
        Akula
        • Aug 2023

Dogs attacking people are standard in the WH the last couple years

Comment

• Batwing
          • Aug 2023

Yall see this? LOL
          Attached Files

Comment

• Bocephus
            • Aug 2023

She's dug herself into a pretty damn deep hole. I'll bet she wishes she'd have never told the dog story to the world.

Too late to put the shovel down now...
            I miss the America I grew up in.

Comment

• Kevin Nicholls
              Kevin Nicholls commented
              Editing a comment
              Put down the shovel.... she needs to turn off the excavator lol.
          • SetDaHook
            • Aug 2023

^^^Apparently, the only reason she put it in the book is because it was already an issue with the locals in her area for a long time, so she thought she'd get ahead of it nationally. Her bigger problems IMO are the lies she told about meeting with N Korea's leader, and other tall tales that were so unnecessary. We already have a liar-in-chief. We don't need another one.

Comment

• Rubberback
              Rubberback commented
              Editing a comment
              Another one ? Pftt that's all they all do! She blew it. Hasta La Vista baby
          • Shoepick74
            • Aug 2023

Next time she should just bring it to the humane society so they can gas it. The dog was her property and she had the right to solve the problem the way she felt was ethical. These are country folk not city folk, pigs, cows ,lambs,, chicken's all get slaughtered. If you don't like country life, please stay in the city and keep your values with you.
            Last edited by Shoepick74; 05-07-2024, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• SmithRanchZ
              • Aug 2023

I'd suggest some/many tend to underestimate the time and work associated with some of the high energy dog breeds. And, the ones that tend to mature at 2 years old (or more) can be particularly challenging.

For us, the terrible 2's were just that. Terrible. From 3 to 11 were great, but the early days were very ruff, even with a tons of exercise. We were walking 3 miles in the morning, and 3 miles at night just to take the edge off. Even with all that, most nights before bed he would embark on this crazed reign of terror, zoomies, and nipping us. Torn clothes, damaged furniture, etc.

Comment

• dwilliams35
                • Aug 2023

You've got to realize that this ain't inner-loop Houston we're talking about: if your dog is killing the neighbor's chickens or something, it's basically your duty to fix it, and that's likely the only way to actually fix it without losing a bunch more chickens in the process. Ever heard somebody say "if you don't take care of it, I will"? That's pretty standard when it comes to livestock. I don't expect suburbanites to know that, but that's a pretty standard ethic out in the country. If she had some avenue to "rehome it" somewhere where it couldn't cause trouble, more power to her, but I have a hard time faulting her completely for that.

Comment

• Shoepick74
                  Shoepick74 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  She did rehome it, and it won't cause any more problems.
              • Wado II
                • Aug 2023

We do lots of disgusting things on the farm.

Comment

• 2Ws
                  2Ws commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some might call it that
              • Marku2.0
                • Aug 2023

The problem here is she couldn't keep her mouth shut. She's screwed the pooch, and that Genie won't get back in the bottle.

Comment

• Wado II
                  • Aug 2023

It happens.Clayton Williams in His Own Words (youtube.com)

Comment

• SmithRanchZ
                    • Aug 2023

The story - at least one incarnation of the story - was that the dog escaped from a vehicle, and got at a "neighbor's" chickens. The family obviously drove the dog to that location, and apparently failed to secure the dog in the vehicle. The family then took the dog home, so there was no further or immediate threat to any other chickens.

That's somewhat different than the dog leaving home on his or her own, and then going door to door killing chickens.

Rule around here is - you get one warning, and you pay for the damages. Once warned, it's the dog owner's responsibility to control the animal off premises. If they fail, then the dog can be shot. But, we have a bunch of large guardian dogs protecting sheep in my hood, and they tend to wander a bit. See them miles from home at times.

Comment

• copanoson
                      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by SetDaHook
                      ^^^Apparently, the only reason she put it in the book is because it was already an issue with the locals in her area for a long time, so she thought she'd get ahead of it nationally. Her bigger problems IMO are the lies she told about meeting with N Korea's leader, and other tall tales that were so unnecessary. We already have a liar-in-chief. We don't need another one.
                      Honest question, then. Are the locals in her area "country folks" and understand the code of animal conduct Dwill and others mention? If so, is their opinion a valid one, and she did not handle this properly?

This story sounds more like the dog had become a nuisance or unworthy her their time, and they did not want a pet. I can certainly understand putting down a problem dog, not how I would handle it, but I get it.

Comment

• dwilliams35
                        dwilliams35 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        now do it on a percentage basis. As in new residents per 100k residents. They’ve certainly made a disproportionate impact there from what i’ve heard from the true “locals”.

• copanoson
                        copanoson commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Percentages????? Really???? California is at THE bottom of the list so your percentages are going to be abysmal. Next, you're going to say EVERY former CA resident moved within a 2-mile radius of Noem, so, the math works. Certainly CA residents have made an impact in certain areas, but SD and ND aren't making the list.

How many SD locals do you actually know?

Stop trying to turn this into something you don't know the answer to...none of us do. I asked SDH an honest question and the "country folk" brigade drew conclusions on who SDH was referring to. Generally speaking, people like dogs more than they like other people, so, sorry, not buying this is all Californians...all 12 of them.
                        Last edited by copanoson; 05-08-2024, 08:15 AM.

• dwilliams35
                        dwilliams35 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Are you at all familiar with the population of south Dakota? and at all cognizant of the effect the size of the base population has on the effect that any individual has 9n a percentage basis? Now note i said “new residents”… you said Californians. How many do i know? I guess it depends on the criteria, but it’s several; most of the real “personal friends and acquaintances ” are essentially winter Texans, then add imaginary internet friends from other forums that aren’t Texas-centric.. On top of that, there is a disproportionate effect here just based on $$$: these “newcomers” aren’t moving into a 3/2 house in Pierre or Sioux Falls, they’re buying ranches, big ones. Ted Turner for example. Now tell me Jane Fonda is going to be all on board with the “country ways”…
                    Working...