Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

Rust - Alec Baldwin

This case has gone on a long time. Defendants with money have their ways. But it seems maybe still active. My reason to start this thread is a recent report I read, but I believe to be old news. Baldwin claimed he didn't pull the trigger. FBI forensics say that isn't possible with the gun he used. They say the hammer must be back and the trigger pulled for it to fire.

I guess they mean it was a single action and had a transfer bar like a Ruger BlackHawk as probably many or most handguns these days?
    Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 04-16-2024, 08:44 AM.
  • SmithRanchZ
    • Aug 2023

It's a Pietta copy of the Colt 1873. Some Italian clones are true copies with original style lock work, and some incorporate a transfer bar or other safeties. My understanding is that he was using a true copy of the 1873 model, and Pietta does not (or perhaps did not at the time) make that caliber with a transfer bar.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
      WhiteBassFisher commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting then, to me. To make a blanket statement it could only fire with trigger pulled doesn't seem accurate with older revolver styles. Am I wrong? It seems like, as example, if you pulled back the hammer to almost cock position and then released the hammer, it would fire. If that is the case, the trigger would not have to be pulled.
  • SmithRanchZ
    • Aug 2023

You are reading stories and descriptions written by folks that tend not to be familiar with how some of these weapons work or can "fail." So, they often leave out details that single action revolver people might consider critical.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
      Editing a comment
      I am really not trying to argue. But I specifically read that FBI Forensics was the source that determined the gun could not be fired unless the trigger was pulled. I had hoped our FBI Forensics was better than that. However, with the stuff our FBI has done the last few years, I have zero respect for them any more. They are just another agency pushing their agenda. Apparently Baldwin didn't make large enough 'donations' to the correct people. I will drop this, but I trust you are correct on the gun type. It is my opinion that a gun of that design could fire without pulling the trigger. I definitely don't like Baldwin to be standing up for him. I am just trying to be honest and not show a bias.

Me still liking to tell stories: In roughly 1970 or so, a good friend of mine owned a Ruger Single Six that was a 22 but also came with a 22 Mag chamber. I remember him explaining to me that he could send it to Ruger, have it converted to a transfer bar, and they would return it, along with the parts they removed in case of a collector value situation down the road. Ruger did not charge at all for that at the time. I think they felt the possible reduction in liability law suits made it worth their while. Supposedly though, the old 3 screw model .357 BlackHawks are coveted still.
      Last edited by WhiteBassFisher; 04-16-2024, 12:11 PM.
  • SmithRanchZ
    • Aug 2023

I have not read the FBI report, or the other expert's report. Most of the media is reporting just headlines or conclusions, without discussion of the assumptions or limiting statements.

May well be that the FBI says (hypothetically) - if the hammer is in the fully cooked position, the shooter is not touching the hammer, and the weapon is not subjected to any external force applied to the hammer, then the weapon can only fire if the trigger is pulled.

The other limiting condition could be parts repaired or replaced prior to testing. Some reports suggest the original forensic testing may have broken some internal parts before the FBI testing.

I'm just saying, most of the mainstream press are not gun people. So, their take aways from the forensics might be influenced by their limited understanding of the weapon.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you there 100%.
  • SGrem
    • Aug 2023

Involuntary manslaughter for whoever is holding the gun and pointing it at someone.

Nothing else really matters. There is no defense or situation that does not bring IM.

If it is a movie scene....why is he pointing it at anyone not in the movie? If there is a mark he is to aim at for camera effect can that line of fire not be cleared of live people?

Involuntary Manslaughter. Terrible tragic accident.....which is the definition of INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER!

Comment

• Oso Blanco
      Oso Blanco commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree 100%. If this was you or me, we would be in jail.
  • BigTim
    • Aug 2023

I’ll just put this here…

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
      Editing a comment
      Baldwin is a typical liberal. Typical liberals always thing they are God's gift to the earth and that they know everything already. Hence, no training needed. His arrogance killed someone. In reality we all have different strengths and weaknesses. No one is great at everything. In general, liberal's weakness is a total lack of logic and common sense.
  • SmithRanchZ
    • Aug 2023

Old school 3 screw Single Six in 22 lr is my mess around gun these days.

The original 3 screw versions tend to have a far better trigger than the new models or a converted 3 screw model.

Comment

• Duckchasr
      • Aug 2023

My opinion is why do the people that hate guns always want to show guns in their movies? If it just saved one actor. Sad situation. Just goes to show you shouldn't play with guns.
      Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.​

"Man will ultimately be governed by God or by tyrants." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• BigTim
        • Aug 2023

Rust set armorer was giving 18 month sentence for involuntary manslaughter…

Comment

• Matt
          • Aug 2023

I am starting to reach for rust for thread safety and greater memory layout control over c and c++ extensions. Never seen the movie rust nor plan on it.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
            • Nov 2023

Originally posted by BigTim
            I’ll just put this here…

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O89gzB3N2kQ
            Bingo! The whole truth, I don't believe he is guilty of murder, I believe he is guilty of stupid, just like Derek Chauvin, and should be tried, and convicted as such.

Comment

• Mac1528
              • Aug 2023

And ignorance is no excuse for the law!

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Marku2.0
                • Aug 2023

I'm still on the fence. Baldwin is a whackjob.

Comment

• yakamac
                  • Dec 2023

How many cowboy movies have been made over the years. The armorer is at fault, there is no way a live round should have been on the set let alone in a gun

Comment

• Rubberback
                    Rubberback commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seems I heard they were having target practice the day before.
                • Mac1528
                  • Aug 2023

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mac1528; 04-20-2024, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• KWeber
                    KWeber commented
                    Editing a comment
                    baldwin pointed a firearm at another person...period...he's the first one to hold accountable...
                Working...