• Show
Clear All
  • Reality Czech
    • Aug 2023

Question SGrem

The picture with the zebra

What is the top center animal

Is that a Gemsbok?

There is a high fence game ranch between Wallis and East Bernard on Hwy 60 with those on it

They also have zebras and other species but those horns are impressive.
    Twilight Zone Refugee

Comment

• SGrem
      • Aug 2023

Yes that is a Gemsbok about 37". They are tough tough tough. One of only two of my trophies I had to shoot more than once....

I have to tell on myself. I read your question above....and had to go back and look at the picture to confirm which trophy you were asking about....when my dumbarse could have just turned my head 90 degrees to the right as I sit on my couch in my living room with all those trophies in it.

Comment

• Reality Czech
        Reality Czech commented
        Editing a comment

Brown water confusion
        been there, done that
        Haha
    • Hooknbullet2
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Shinerlight
      Impressive Grem!! Yeah, i got lots of reserching to do. Here is the link to the outfitter:

https://www.restlessafricasafari.com/
      I’m hunting with those guys in about 60 days. Donovan was at the Dripping Springs DSC event a few weeks back. So we had the chance to visit with him. I’m looking forward to it.

Comment

• Mrsh978
        • Aug 2023

S Africa has a lot of high fence- put&take “ ranches”. Your hunt menu is just that a menu. Pick and choose as your wallet allows. 300 WM with heavy bullet will get you done with most all game smaller than a quarter horse. Ask outfitter on expected fees - tips , bribes etc . Vaccinations into port also

Comment

• Chuck Richey
          • Aug 2023

Great information on this topic, please keep the information coming. I'm about to book a trip for next year. Package hunt includes a wildebeest, blesbok and impala. I am adding a Kudu and gemsbok.

This is who I am using Superior African Hunting Safaris | Limcroma Safaris

Comment

• SGrem
            • Aug 2023

We go to Namibia 365,000 acres with no fences. No roads no nuthin.

And Tanzania 490,000 acres with no fences. No roads no nuthin.

Its as wild Africa as you can get. These animals live and die without ever seeing a man.
            Last edited by SGrem; 03-26-2024, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Shinerlight
              • Aug 2023

I think we'll be hunting in Namibia on a game preserve. I don't think there are any fences.

Comment

• bluefin
                • Aug 2023

Congrats Shiner! It will be an experience of a lifetime. I've been several times and the two animals that get the most attention in my house are the Kudu and Warthog. Everyone seems to love the ugly warthog.
                Couple of things. On your flight. You'll have a choice to fly directly there or do a stopover in Paris or Germany. If you haven't been to either I'd highly recommend a stopover. Even just one day exploring either place is like 2 vacations in one. And you get a break from that flight. I don't even get a hotel. Just get off the plane and take the subway into town. Their rail systems are amazing.
                The other is taxidermy. The bane of hunter's pocketbooks. I'd suggest talking to a taxidermist who is knowledgeable about African game. A knowledgeable taxidermist will be able to help you with choosing a company to ship your hides with. Contact that company BEFORE you go to work out plans. This will be a big time money saver. Otherwise you leave it up to your outfitter to use his brother in law's shipping 'service'. That's when you really get hosed.

You're gonna want to shoot something every day. I mean why are you there? Take a look at what some of the animals in a Euro style look like vs being mounted. Euro is way way cheaper. And a lot of them look pretty cool Euro.

lastly, try to get in shape for moving around all day. Don't have to be a track star. But being able to go a ways without sucking on an oxygen tube makes the trip a lot more fun.

Comment

• bluefin
                  • Aug 2023

Just found the contact I was looking for earlier:
                  Cindi Rulon
                  Pro Cargo USA
                  (281) 220-3176
                  (281) 382-7635
                  Cindi.rulon@procargousa.com

She is who I've used to ship my taxidermy in the past. Very nice and is based out of Houston (I'm pretty sure).

Comment

• SGrem
                    • Aug 2023

Don't get a wildebeest euro mounted. They just look like a pathetic cape buffalo.

And absolutely shoulder mount on the warthog! They are so ugly they are cool.

Comment

• BretE
                      • Aug 2023

Congrats….take tons of pics. I always see the mounts from these hunts but not many pics….
                      I got nuthin….

Comment

• 98aggie77566
                        • Aug 2023

You are going to have a ball!!!

We went last May…still waiting on our hides/skulls…hoping they get on an airplane this week.

We used a broker to help us with firearm paperwork getting there and back, and ProCargo in Houston to help with the import and paperwork. You definitely need their help like Grem said.

Trophies are all about what looks good to you, and what you can afford….but also “take what the bush gives you”…meaning lots of times we couldn’t get shots at animals we were after, and then others saw a trophy standing broadside of the same animal and it wasn’t on their list. It’s hunting lol.

We shot everything with a 308.....mostly from sticks or a shooting bench on the buggies. We shot 17 animals overall....only had one warthog wounded and got away down its hole. Warthogs are a lot harder to hunt than you might think....total opportunity animal if a good one shows up. Lots of sows and piglets but the boars are smart.

Didnt include pics of the scenery and food and comrades…it was one helluva trip. Flights suck!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• 98aggie77566
                          • Aug 2023

Few more

Attached Files

Comment

• Reality Czech
                            • Aug 2023

This is as close to an African hunt as this Czech will ever make

Went shopping in East Bernard this morning down Hwy 60 and bagged these with the camera

Fence screwed up some good pics because of the auto focus

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040251.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	92783 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040252.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	92782

Twilight Zone Refugee

Comment

• KWeber
                              • Aug 2023

if yall go to Namibia, take a 7x57 and a 9.3x62 rifle ...

Comment

Working...