Visit and support our Site Sponsor

Who knows a lot about building PCs? I'm stuck...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bg
    • Sep 2023

Who knows a lot about building PCs? I'm stuck...

OK, so I built a PC recently to run Kubuntu and FreeCAD on. Problem is, I can't get it to boot at all, not even into the BIOS configuration. It doesn't beep, just goes into a kind of power cycle loop shown in the video. I've tried another motherboard, no RAM, different RAM, no CPU, different CPU, no video card, different case and a different power supply so basically, I've swapped everything and it still does this. The only thing I can think of now is that I've got some kind of hardware mismatch but, I'm not current enough on all that stuff to know what it is. Here's what I built.

Where did I go wrong?

• On The Hook
    • Aug 2023

Some motherboards require power in multiple places from the power supply. Some power supplies use a different portion of their supply to power different “legs” of their output. So, if you don’t use the correct outputs, you don’t get the needed power. I didn’t see your connections at the mb, so can’t offer any feedback about that. Does your ps meet the mb, cpu and accessory needs? Also, are you using the cables that came with the ps? Not all ps cables are wired the same and many are not interchangeable. Sometimes certain accessories need to be in certain slots for thing to work properly. Sometimes board jumpers need to be removed, changed or installed as required but your intended configurations.
    I do stuff !

Comment

• On The Hook
      • Aug 2023

Could you have a bios setting problem? A hard drive size or setting problem? Do you get any lights or beeps? Does the bios recognize the ssd properly? Do you have the boot sequence configured correctly?
      I do stuff !

Comment

• On The Hook
        • Aug 2023

This board seems to need a bios update to support 13th & 14th gen cpus. Do you have a 12th gen to try? You may need to do a bios reset. There should be a jumper that you add or remove to reset the bios. It may need resetting, and a 12th gen in place to accomplish the bios update. Some boards are very picky on order of operations and updates.
        Last edited by On The Hook; 05-04-2024, 02:47 PM.
        I do stuff !

Comment

• bg
          • Sep 2023

Originally posted by On The Hook
          Some motherboards require power in multiple places from the power supply. Some power supplies use a different portion of their supply to power different “legs” of their output. So, if you don’t use the correct outputs, you don’t get the needed power. I didn’t see your connections at the mb, so can’t offer any feedback about that. Does your ps meet the mb, cpu and accessory needs? Also, are you using the cables that came with the ps? Not all ps cables are wired the same and many are not interchangeable. Sometimes certain accessories need to be in certain slots for thing to work properly. Sometimes board jumpers need to be removed, changed or installed as required but your intended configurations.
          It's got the big power cable and one for the CPU on the board as well as one for the video card (PCIE), those are all plugged in. I can't even get to the BIOS and if I try to turn it on without a CPU, I don't even get this far. I did try the BIOS reset, it just power-cycled and did the same thing. I don't have any other processors to try, all the other PCs are laptops and 5+ years old. They're all fine for what they do but, CAD is asking a little much of them. I've tried it without the HDD connected and still the same. The only thing I see that might be a problem when I dug way into the specs on that MB is that it's only showing support for the i3-14100 up to 3.9GHz and the one I got is 4.7GHz. I may send this board back and order one that's more current. I can't even get into the BIOS no matter what combination I try. If I could, then I'd have a better idea of how to troubleshoot it. Right now, it's basically a brick so there has to be a hardware mismatch.

Comment

• Trouthunter
            Administrator
            • Aug 2023

I've built way over 100 PC's but have never encountered this Bernie.
            Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• bg
              • Sep 2023

Originally posted by Trouthunter
              I've built way over 100 PC's but have never encountered this Bernie.
              Me neither. Every time I've had a no boot in the past, pulling the RAM would usually get me at least to POST or some beeps to help troubleshoot.

Comment

• Matt
                • Aug 2023

Divide and conquer.
                Pull ram
                Boot pull cpu
                Pull disk..

Also make sure its not grounding out the board to the case.

Trouthunter you've built 100s of pcs but never had one fail to boot ever??? That's extremely lucky.

Good luck bg. Btw i don't own any pcs , log into worlds most powerful machines everyday using work supplied laptop. 🤙

You'll get it, I have faith.

Comment

• RRbohemian
                  • Aug 2023

Have you try to flash the BIOS using an SPI programmer? What makes it hard for someone to flash the BIOS on a commercial board the header has been removed (to cut down costs) that limits the ability to attach an SF 100 Dediprog programmer. Also, you need a laptop with the programming software installed with the programmer attached via USB. We would always corrupt a BIOS and the only way to get the BIOS to boot was to re-program the SPI chip. You can still flash without a header put you will need a special connector to attached to the pins on the SPI BIOS chip.
                  Last edited by RRbohemian; 05-05-2024, 07:09 AM.
                  Why am I so cynical of the media and the government these days?

Comment

• Matt
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by RRbohemian
                    Have you try to flash the BIOS using an SPI programmer? What makes it hard for someone to flash the BIOS on a commercial board the header has been removed (to cut down costs) that limits the ability to attach an SF 100 Dediprog programmer. Also, you need a laptop with the programming software installed with the programmer attached via USB. We would always corrupt a BIOS and the only way to get the BIOS to boot was to re-program the SPI chip. You can still flash without a header put you will need a special connector to attached to the pins on the SPI BIOS chip.
                    Good call. Connect to the TAP w/JTAG 😅

Comment

• KWeber
                      KWeber commented
                      Editing a comment
                      lemme look around... i might still have a set of feeler gauges w/a point file somewhere

• JSimpson
                      JSimpson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've still got my timing light & dwell meter. Always handy to get things running right ...
                  • bg
                    • Sep 2023

Originally posted by RRbohemian
                    I don't have one and it's really not worth the effort to me to get one to try it. I'm just going to try a MB that supports 14th gen without a BIOS update and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, I'll just return it all and buy something already built, it's already taken too much time.

Comment

• bassguitarman
                      • Aug 2023

Somehow, today's Shoe comic strip seemed appropriate, in a smartass kind of way:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	121
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	104690

Comment

• Bill
                        Akula
                        • Aug 2023

Did it boot when you went to install linux?

Does it have a cr2032 battery?

Comment

• bg
                          • Sep 2023

Originally posted by Bill
                          Did it boot when you went to install linux?

Does it have a cr2032 battery?
                          It won't boot at all, not even POST. It has done exactly what's shown in the video since day 1.

Comment

• Trouthunter
                            Administrator
                            • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Matt
                            Divide and conquer.
                            Pull ram
                            Boot pull cpu
                            Pull disk..

Also make sure its not grounding out the board to the case.

Trouthunter you've built 100s of pcs but never had one fail to boot ever??? That's extremely lucky.

Good luck bg. Btw i don't own any pcs , log into worlds most powerful machines everyday using work supplied laptop. 🤙

You'll get it, I have faith.
                            Duh, experienced a lot of PC's that wouldn't boot but not with Bernie's symptoms.
                            Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

Working...