Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckweet
    • Aug 2023

Vehicle negotiations

Have been in search of replacement truck. My question is how much will dealers come down from what is shown as MSRP and what is stated as sales value? Understand many variables, too many to list. Is 5, 10, 15% possible? Few years ago when replacing car, 5% was max sale reduction. Does seem more inventory available now.

Thanks in advance.
  • Matt
    • Aug 2023

Not sure on that but id wait until winter with cash in hand if you can wait that long. You are looking at the worst time right now.

Comment

• LouReed
      • Aug 2023

I got a 2016 4-Runner for 10% off of MSRP, including TT&L. I shopped for most of December, going to 3 different dealerships 3 weekends in a row.

Struck the final deal on Christmas Eve. That was the clincher. The vehicle has the top-of-the-line 4X4 package, but no TRD, Limited or special trim packages, is white and had been on the lot for a couple of months.

Comment

• RapturEd
        • Aug 2023

Make them an offer if not met walk out. Try a different dealership or as said another time of the year or at the end of the month when the salesmen need to make the sale.
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart
        And do not lean on your own understanding.
        In all your ways acknowledge Him,
        And He will make your paths straight.
        Do not be wise in your own eyes;
        Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.​

Comment

• Retired
          • Aug 2023

Not a truck, but we just bought a new Toyota Grand Highlander for my better half as her daily driver. The first dealer thought it was still early 2022 and was trying to get a market adjustment of $1000 over MSRP. Believe it or not, they started at $4000 over and “conceded” 3k in negotiation, and it was nearing the end of the fiscal quarter. We offered $3k under MSRP and they clearly did not want to sell us the vehicle. Obviously, we walked, and bought from another dealer who was willing to deal under MSRP.
          Exported Texan

Comment

• Kenny Powers
            • Aug 2023

Make them bid against each other. https://www.autotrader.com/

Comment

• Matt
              Matt commented
              Editing a comment
              Deal all through the innernets by email. Get quote from one and image manipulation through GIMP etc send to the other. Keep going back and forth. It works well heh.

• Kenny Powers
              Kenny Powers commented
              Editing a comment
              It is an equalizer. Silly not to. I search within 500 miles and they'll deliver. I have relayed the price in writing via phone or email and one time even fibbed an extra $600 in my favor and had them take my word for it. When they tap out, you know you've done all you can.
          • wfishtx
            • Aug 2023

I've been toying with a new truck and visiting with a few different dealers, nothing serious. What I'm seeing is the only way for dealers to come off of MSRP is if there are incentives, rebates, cash back offers on the table from the manufacturer. If MSRP is $75k, with $5k rebate, then you'll get the vehicle for $70k, which is the same as selling the vehicle at MSRP to the dealer because the manufacturer is going to give them back the $5k rebate.

If there are no rebates or offers on the vehicle you're looking to purchase then I would expect to pay MSRP or really close to it (maybe you can get $500 out of them). You shouldn't be paying more than MSRP at this point. I've only seen one GMC dealer out of Austin who is still trying to mark up their vehicles above MSRP and that was last month. He may not be anymore.

Comment

• SmithRanchZ
              • Aug 2023

Very much model specific. For some models, there is a decent inventory. For others, they sell quickly, and thus there is very little wiggle room.

Chevy/GMC tends to have more vehicles on the lot in my hood. Nationwide, 1/2 ton Dodge trucks have a bunch of inventory. Toyota has a much smaller inventory.

If you are Houston area and want a Ford, call Salt Slead. He will likely make you the best deal around. Might even be worth the drive from out of town.

Comment

• Shinerlight
                • Aug 2023

GM is offering pretty good rebates on trucks, if they have the Turbo 4 or the 5.3. The 3.0 Duramax or 6.2 equipped, not so much. Should get about 8k off MSRP on either of those right now. Just too many trucks on the lots now.

Comment

• BretE
                  • Aug 2023

It’s Salt Sled(Dwayne), call him. Don’t think you’ll beat his deal. I buy all my trucks from him….good dude and easy to deal with…832-877-5594
                  I got nuthin….

Comment

• Oso Blanco
                    • Aug 2023

I just bought a GMC Denali Ultimate 2500 diesel. I shopped hard and the best deal I could find was $4k off MSRP.

Comment

• Buckweet
                      Buckweet commented
                      Editing a comment
                      so that would be around 5%. this gauge I was looking for. thank you.
                  • Kenny Powers
                    • Aug 2023

I've bought 3 new Tahoes via autotrader from around the state and had them delivered. A couple Ford transit vans from Oklahoma- Which I think tends to have better pricing than Texas. And a Ford Transit van via Tennessee.
                    On one Tahoe I got delivered from Georgetown, I'd tried negotiating with Mack Haik. When they said they could not give me the wheels I wanted I went ahead and made a deal to be delivered from Georgetown.
                    When sales mgr at Mack Haik followed up the next week, I told them I'd taken delivery. He asked why not with them. I reminded him that the difference was the wheels they wanted to charge me an extre $1,500 or 2k for. At the time, he said he could not match the deal. The sales manager said, "I would have done that if I knew I had to."
                    I will never negotiate with any one dealer, or waste my time with sales tactics, sitting in a cubicle, or finance office garbage.

Comment

• wfishtx
                      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Oso Blanco
                      I just bought a GMC Denali Ultimate 2500 diesel. I shopped hard and the best deal I could find was $4k off MSRP.
                      I think the $4k is the current rebate being offered by GM. I had a sales guy that I've been talking with reach out to me with the same trim level truck and told me they were taking $4k off the sticker if I bought by the end of March. What some people don't realize is that's the same as selling the truck at MSRP for the dealer since the manufacturer is going to send them the $4k rebate. The buyer thinks the dealer made them a great deal when in reality, the dealer sold the vehicle at MSRP.

Comment

• Shinerlight
                        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by RapturEd
                        Make them an offer if not met walk out. Try a different dealership or as said another time of the year or at the end of the month when the salesmen need to make the sale.
                        Have you bought a vehicle lately? Those tactics don't quite work like pre-covid times. If you have a trade, different dealers will vary on their value, but buying straight up, there isn't going to be much flinching. Just bought a Kia for my wife, after messing around for 4 mths at probably 10 dealers, should've just bought one at the first dealer, as they were all set on getting MSRP.

Comment

• ewells77581
                          • Aug 2023

There are actually 3 "invoices" on a vehicle. The MSRP, factory invoice, and actual dealer cost (invoice). First thing you want to see is their actual dealer cost which truly is not what they paid for the vehicle due to incentives given back to the dealer on a timely basis. ADC or true factory invoice is as low as you will ever see. Dealers do not what you to know this number but sometimes will present it if pressed. If they won't, I will walk. If presented, I will offer $500 to $1000 over to pay them something even though they will get more for the sale at the end of the quarter or whatever their dealer incentive time frame is. I had a Mercedes sales person that was a personal friend tell me that the best they could do was 10% under MSRP. This gave 1% to the dealership and 1% to the staff for a total markup of 12% between actual factory invoice and MSRP. He said that domestic vehicles ran about 15% between factory invoice and MSRP. I have used these numbers in the past when dealing on a new vehicle if I was seriously looking at a vehicle that I wanted because of uniqueness (color, options, etc.). Start at a percentage below MSRP that you favor. If they say they can't do it, raise your end a few hundred dollars and see if they will budge or at least tell you what they have to have. You are in control of the negotiations not them. If you are not happy, walk. Many times, the dealership will call you back from someone higher up the food chain and they may tell you what they have to have or at least why they can't do your offer. In any event, you are the deal maker, not them! Never, ever ask them for a price as that puts them in control. You tell them what you want to pay and deal from your number, not theirs.

Comment

Working...