Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BretE
    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by awesum
    Bret always says, "some days you have it, some days you don't".

I'm still waiting for the days Pressly and Hader have it.
    Me too….this is a crazy start this year! When the starting pitching is good, the bullpen sux and vice versa….Abreu is the glaring weakness so far, no doubt. It’s still too early for a major shakeup, hang in there, it’s a long season….I would like to know who the genius was that decided letting Maton, Stanek and Neris go but keeping Bielack was a great idea. Had to be the same guy that suggested Singleton would be a solid backup…..
    I got nuthin….

Comment

• awesum
      awesum commented
      Editing a comment
      I know some guys here thought Neris was a weirdo but I thought he was good and hated to see him go.

• BretE
      BretE commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree…they’re all weird in their own way…see Bregmans comments/interview after the last game….

• Unknownstrohsfan
      Unknownstrohsfan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep!
  • Spinky
    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Jdusek
    They do and not sure why, have a decent team. Never think manager makes that big a difference in baseball, making pitching changes are the only real job they have. But maybe they need to get rid of him.

Disagree here. The biggest job they have is managing a clubhouse, keeping everyone engaged and on the same page. Sure, rotations and bullpen use is part of it, but I think the clubhouse/team management aspect far excedes that. You guys that constantly called for Dusty's head may have second thoughts later on. He was a big part of their success just for that ability. There was a reason he was around for so long.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
      Unknownstrohsfan commented
      Editing a comment
      It is really their only job, the bench coach fills out the line up. there is a manager for every function of the team, the manager makes sure the big money guys, are ready to play at a big money level.
  • copanoson
    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Spinky

Disagree here. The biggest job they have is managing a clubhouse, keeping everyone engaged and on the same page. Sure, rotations and bullpen use is part of it, but I think the clubhouse/team management aspect far excedes that. You guys that constantly called for Dusty's head may have second thoughts later on. He was a big part of their success just for that ability. There was a reason he was around for so long.
    I agree! A great baseball manager is no different than a great workforce manager. Great managers can hire the right asst. managers/coaches to get a team to work together and everyone work towards the same goals. Obviously, baseball managers are dealing with 20-year-old multi-millionaires, which can't be easy, and having to get each of them to focus as a team when things aren't going so well.

Analytics has changed the role of a manager, or how a manager manages each game, but I believe there is still some value in a manager's opinion on who starts, batting lineup, pitching change, etc.

Comment

• FREON
      • Aug 2023

Go JV!!!!
      Da C-Listers are Coming

Comment

• Daddyeaux
        • Aug 2023

The Astros have been outscored 32-4 in the 8th and 9th innings. That should tell you something about our bullpen. I hope JV can stay healthy more than a couple weeks at a time. I guess we will see tonight.
        If it flies........it dies

Comment

• I Fall In
          • Aug 2023

I love how people want to "get rid of" veteran players who are signed to guaranteed contracts. You do realize they would still have to pay their salaries, don't you?
          If they did get rid of them it's not like you just run down to the first base or pitcher store and trade them in for new ones. I agree if they tried to trade Abreau in they would find out they are upside down, they owe more than he's worth.
          Patience Grasshopper.
          Shoot the messenger before he delivers the bad news.

Comment

• Daddyeaux
            • Aug 2023

The only good side I can see to this is maybe the price of parking will go down. It is absolutely ridiculous now. Another reason I don't go see them at the stadium.
            If it flies........it dies

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
              • Nov 2023

Originally posted by 2Ws
              Well ya can't blame this on ........Dusty
              Sure we can, it's the american way. either him or Biden.

Comment

• BretE
                • Aug 2023

Originally posted by I Fall In
                I love how people want to "get rid of" veteran players who are signed to guaranteed contracts. You do realize they would still have to pay their salaries, don't you?
                If they did get rid of them it's not like you just run down to the first base or pitcher store and trade them in for new ones. I agree if they tried to trade Abreau in they would find out they are upside down, they owe more than he's worth.
                Patience Grasshopper.
                If you wanna win, sometimes you gotta eat a contract, it’s certainly not unheard of…..
                I got nuthin….

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                  • Nov 2023

Originally posted by BretE

If you wanna win, sometimes you gotta eat a contract, it’s certainly not unheard of…..
                  Abreau is one they definitely need to eat, Bagwell should have the honors of sticking the fork in it.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                    • Nov 2023

Originally posted by 2Ws
                    Well ya can't blame this on ........Dusty
                    Fire all of them, no way this can continue .

Comment

• Bocephus
                      • Aug 2023

What an ugly loss….
                      I miss the America I grew up in.

Comment

• I Fall In
                        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Unknownstrohsfan

Abreau is one they definitely need to eat, Bagwell should have the honors of sticking the fork in it.
                        I totally agree, not only is he hitting way below his uni number he has become a defensive liability as well. Add in the fact he has no hustle left, or any he's willing to give and you have a no win situation. Now here's the question, who do you replace him with? Cabbage, Dolefino the homeless guy behind Minutemaid who played first in Little League?

Comment

• I Fall In
                          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Bocephus
                          What an ugly loss….
                          Yes it was, today they decided to play "stupid" baseball.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                            • Nov 2023

Originally posted by I Fall In

I totally agree, not only is he hitting way below his uni number he has become a defensive liability as well. Add in the fact he has no hustle left, or any he's willing to give and you have a no win situation. Now here's the question, who do you replace him with? Cabbage, Dolefino the homeless guy behind Minutemaid who played first in Little League?
                            Gotta be some Cabbage, but I doubt they do it before the Allstar break. They can play Dubon now, the homeless guy is also a viable option. Is he a lefty?

Comment

Working...