Irish Setter Rescue!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouReed
    • Aug 2023

That is one beautiful dog. You are both lucky to have come into one another's lives.

Comment

• KWeber
      KWeber commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you have a golf cart and a country road for yall to travel often...they LOVE to run...
      she'd easly do 5mi/day w/conditioning...will keep her weight down too after spaying
  • ROBERT.PARSON
    • Aug 2023

Carol
    What a beautiful animal !

You need to start watching some Cesar Mlan shows.
    He truly has some helpful methods for training and interacting with your pets. I'm not giving into his hype that his way is the best way or that he is truly the real dog whisperer, but most of his ideas work very well.

ALL pets need a purpose in life. whether it's working or just protecting, they all need a purpose and it's up to you to give them that purpose by doing the training.
    25' Sea Cat x 2 Suzuki 140's

Comment

• LouReed
      • Aug 2023

Get some soft treat rolls like the link below, cut them up into 1/2" cubes and use as training treats. Walk slowly with one held out in front of her nose and when she walks alongside you for 10 yards, give her the treat and praise her verbally. Repeat with longer stretches in between treats. Do the same for stopping when you do. If she doesn't respond to treats, I don't know what to tell you.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
        WhiteBassFisher commented
        Editing a comment
        I do know treats are a common way for good dog trainers to use.
    • Reel Time
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by ROBERT.PARSON
      Carol
      What a beautiful animal !

You need to start watching some Cesar Mlan shows.
      He truly has some helpful methods for training and interacting with your pets. I'm not giving into his hype that his way is the best way or that he is truly the real dog whisperer, but most of his ideas work very well.

ALL pets need a purpose in life. whether it's working or just protecting, they all need a purpose and it's up to you to give them that purpose by doing the training.
      I've watched almost all of Cesar Milan's shows. 85 % is ok.
      I need to get some luncheon meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Still learning

Comment

• Reel Time
        • Aug 2023

Update.
        I cut the mats out of her fur and gave her a bath. She slept inside on a mat last night and didn't move off of it. The chihuahuas walked by her and were curious but cautious. Kylie Red basically ignored them.
        She started walking on a leash at least part of the time.

Still learning

Comment

• LouReed
          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Reel Time

I've watched almost all of Cesar Milan's shows. 85 % is ok.
          I need to get some luncheon meat.
          The best dog obedience trainer I've ever had was really good. "Treats and praise wins the day," is what she'd say. She also would say to me, "don't look so smug when your dog catches on so quickly. She's the smart one." Aussies are pretty easy to train.

She started very basic. Number one in her lesson plan is the most important one and that is for you to teach your dog her name. When you say her name, she needs to make eye contact with you. When she does so, give her a treat. After that, she will always be focused on you when you say her name and the rest of the training is easier.

Comment

• POC Fishing Gal
            • Aug 2023

I have a non traditional treat motivated rescue. I bought some frozen fried chicken nuggets and used bits of those and it worked. Good luck!

Comment

• Reel Time
              • Aug 2023

Thank you for all of these helpful hints!

Still learning

Comment

• Flounderface
                • Aug 2023

Be patient and consistent and allow her time to adjust to her new world. You will be fine. Congrats on your new best friend too. Use certain hand signals when you are training, they relate to body language quicker than words so using both together has always helped me. And a little training every day adds up fast.

Comment

• Flounderface
                  • Aug 2023

You do not know her history. It could be that a leash is actually a chain to her. Just be consistent and positive which I am sure you are. Baby steps.

Comment

• FishingTwo
                    • Aug 2023

Congratulations Carol
                    🙂
                    "You'll Never Catch'em Like That"

Comment

• Da Reel Daddy
                      • Aug 2023

Yup she's beautiful
                      "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Deuteronomy 31:6

Comment

Working...