Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SmithRanchZ
    • Aug 2023

Jesse W Ultimate Cheese Burger

Tried that recipe today. Used about 2.5 oz of the Tabasco chilpolte on 1 lb of meat. Sadly, my patties were a bit thick. 1/4 lb patties, and I should have smashed them down a bit thinner.

Gotta say, it makes a real solid cheese burger. Wife absolutely loved it. She claimed best ever.

For me, Im not saying best ever. But, pretty close. Need to upgrade my buns, toast them some more, make thinner patties, and add some black pepper. Still, they were some very solid burgers.

If you haven't tried the recipe, give it a chance. You may well be surprised.
  • WhiteBassFisher
    • Aug 2023

I am not a pepper belly, but supposedly that is not too hot. Did you mixed all through the meat, or just put on surface of the meat patty?

Comment

• beerdruid
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by SmithRanchZ
      Tried that recipe today. Used about 2.5 oz of the Tabasco chilpolte on 1 lb of meat. Sadly, my patties were a bit thick. 1/4 lb patties, and I should have smashed them down a bit thinner.

Gotta say, it makes a real solid cheese burger. Wife absolutely loved it. She claimed best ever.

For me, Im not saying best ever. But, pretty close. Need to upgrade my buns, toast them some more, make thinner patties, and add some black pepper. Still, they were some very solid burgers.

If you haven't tried the recipe, give it a chance. You may well be surprised.
      Should upgrade to brioche buns. Game changer...

Comment

• SmithRanchZ
        • Aug 2023

I just dusted with garlic powder and Lowery season salt, added the Tabasco, and kneaded it into the meat.

It was not hot. At all. The Tabasco chilpolte adds more of a smoky flavor. Maybe, just maybe, you can taste a faint hint of very mild chilpolte. If I did not know it was in there, I would have never guessed.

Comment

• Wes
          • Aug 2023

is that the Jesse Kelly recipe? https://willerson.wixsite.com/blog/p...eburger-recipe

Comment

• BDGreen
            • Aug 2023

Sounds like I need to try it this weekend.
            "The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee, CSA

Comment

• bassguitarman
              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Wes
              Dang - "Add generous amount of Tobasco sauce (Chipotle Tobasco Sauce​). He said the more the better because the heat burns off. He uses a half bottle per pound.​"

That amount of Tobasco, even the chipotle kind, sounds scary

Comment

• SmithRanchZ
                • Aug 2023

Wes - yes, that's it.

The biggest bottles of Tabasco chilpolte at my local store was 5 oz. They did not have the huge bottles in that flavor/version. I used half that bottle, or 2.5 oz., on roughly a lb of meat.

Initially, I thought that was alot. But, the wife reminded me that we completely coat chickens in Frank's Hot Sauce before smoking/roasting them, and there is no real heat.

I did these burgers in a cast iron pan. One patty at a time.

Comment

• Wado II
                  • Aug 2023

I make my patties with equal amounts of ground chuck and round mix it together in a big bowl. Weigh out four ounces and put the meat in a press. After I press them I put them between two of the wax paper sheets and take a rolling pin and flatten them good. You can do the same thing with a plastic lid if it has an edge around the diameter. Put the ball of meat down on a cutting board and press it with the lid edge facing down. Find one with a big enough diameter so it gets thin. I'm gonna look for some of that Tabasco next time I am in civilization mix it in when I do the meats.

Comment

• DEXTER
                    • Aug 2023

I tried that recipe several years ago while on vacation at Possum Kingdom with my whole clan. I'll just say we will never do it again...city boy burgers at best. Blahhhh

Comment

• Trouthunter
                      Administrator
                      • Aug 2023

Try Cholula Chilpolte next time and thank me later.
                      Life its too short to own ugly handguns and drink fruity whiskey.

Comment

• Buckweet
                        • Aug 2023

not what they claim it is for me. will make a turd, but meh OK at best.

but that is why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream, to each his own.

Comment

• WhiteBassFisher
                          • Aug 2023

I feel naive about this. I have never tried chipotle because i had no idea what it was..... supposedly smoke dried jalapenos. I don't care to eat whole fresh jalapenos, but really like cooked jalapeno flavor. I will definite try some.
                          What is with wanting super thin hamburger patties though? Egg rings come in many sizes, very reasonably priced, and are great for forming burger patties in.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Daddyeaux
                            • Aug 2023

A tortilla press makes the best hamburger patties.
                            If it flies........it dies

Comment

• SmithRanchZ
                            • Aug 2023

I made these as naked singles (no salad), and next time I plan to make them as double meat, double cheese.

I want more surface area for the cooked crust, and a higher meat to bread ratio. So, two thinner patties (maybe .40 lb total) instead of one medium thickness (.25 lb) patty.

But, preferences tend to be somewhat personal.

Comment

Working...