Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • copanoson
    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by wfishtx

Problem you're not taking into consideration is that Pressly has been as bad, if not worse than Hader. Neither of them are very good right now, so you're going to continue to go with Hader because that's what he's paid to do, even if he's not succeeding.

I agree with you that you go with Pressly if Pressly was actually better right now, but he's not.
    I am taking it into consideration. Pressly has proven over ~3 years he can be your closer and will save more games than he will blow. Hader is paid to get outs and close games not pitch in the 9th inning.

The Astros and Espada have zero obligation to continue to put Hader in to pitch.

Comment

• wfishtx
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by copanoson

I am taking it into consideration. Pressly has proven over ~3 years he can be your closer and will save more games than he will blow. Hader is paid to get outs and close games not pitch in the 9th inning.

The Astros and Espada have zero obligation to continue to put Hader in to pitch.
      Again, if Pressly was coming into the 8th inning and going 3 up and 3 down every outing, then I think we'd see him back in the closer role, but that's not what's happening. He's actually pitching worse than Hader in a lot of categories. It doesn't make sense to replace your closer who you signed to a big time contract with a guy who is actually performing worse.

They may not have an obligation on paper, but they have an obligation. Why do you think they keep running Abreu out to first base? Again, until there is a better option, you're going to keep playing the guys that you're paying the most.

Comment

• chwoodall
        • Aug 2023

Too bad baseball isn't 7 innings, we'd have several more wins.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

• wfishtx
          • Aug 2023

I'd send Pressly out the next time a close save situation presented itself, especially if it is the strong part of the lineup.

If I'm the manager, F your contract, I'm paid to win ball games, and until Hader can prove he has things figured out, he can pitch in not so close games or earlier innings. Currently, the Astros aren't in a position to keep going with Hader in close games pitching the way he has.
          Pressly gave up 2 hits, 2 runs, and a walk today. Hader struck out all 3 batters he faced.

And they lost, yet again.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
            • Nov 2023

Hader, lifetime, is 2 pts better in ERA than Pressley, and they have a buttload of money tied up in Hader's contract, not to mention he is reportedly a Diva that would pout if he was demoted. So that is that. Now, I understand why the Strohs are so bad right now, they suck at hitting with men in scoring position, and they suck at pitching with men in scoring position, and yet, Altuve is healthy to start the year, as is the rest of the regulars, and none of the usual suspects, Tucker, Bregman, Pena, or Myers ( J. Abreau will be ommitted from this conversation), are off to a slow start. Seems like they would be winning some games by accident. It can't be just the loss of Staneck and Maton, so what is it?

Comment

• copanoson
              • Aug 2023

Originally posted by wfishtx

Pressly gave up 2 hits, 2 runs, and a walk today. Hader struck out all 3 batters he faced.

And they lost, yet again.
              Abreu committed a horrible error at first that allowed one of the runs to score, unearned, which also allowed the runners to advance which led to the eventual sacfly. Worst case the Sacfly should have been the 3rd out with Astros still in the lead.
              Last edited by copanoson; 04-18-2024, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• wfishtx
                • Aug 2023

Abreu committed a horrible error at first that allowed one of the runs to score, unearned, which also allowed the runners to advance which led to the eventual sacfly. Worst case the Sacfly should have been the 3rd out with Astros still in the lead.
                What would have been the outcome if he would have struck out 3 in a row like he would have last year? I know that's not realistic every outing, but he hasn't been getting the swing and misses like he was the last 3 years.
                Last edited by wfishtx; 04-18-2024, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                  • Nov 2023

Key word, Today. Abreau wasn't in the lineup for 2 days, Hader gave up 4 runs to make a 2-1 game a 6-1 game on Monday, only 1 out, they were already losing. On the 6th, Presley gave up 4 runs to the Rangers, they were already losing. Despite popular opinion, J. Abreau, no matter what Bagwell says, is niether an offensive or defensive juggernaught. The same thing goes for Maldanado, so all you Machete fans, check the numbers, he was average at defense( actually a little below) and pitch framing. Y, Diaz is a big improvement. After that, barring the exit of Stanek, and Maton, all our offensive player are healthy for once. What is the key? Just baseball. Stupid game, I have to say though it may be a struggle to win 90 games this year, after the loss of Maton and Staneck. Actually if they make the postseason this year I will be surprised, pleasantly. Anything can happen if you make the post season, but this may be the last shot for a while. Go Strohs.

Comment

• Kevin Nicholls
                    • Aug 2023

Good news is, we ain't losing tonight.
                    I don't have anything clever to write here.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                      • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Kevin Nicholls
                      Good news is, we ain't losing tonight.
                      right

Comment

• FREON
                        • Aug 2023

Verlander starting tonight. Hopefully he does much better than he did in his 2 minor league rehab starts
                        Da C-Listers are Coming

Comment

• BretE
                          • Aug 2023

Now we’re rollin….but again, it’s early…..
                          I got nuthin….

Comment

• wfishtx
                            • Aug 2023

Not sure who’s watching but just saw an interesting graphic during the game.

So far this season, the Astros have the 3rd hardest strength of schedule. The White Sox and Twins are the 2 with harder SOS. Of the Astros 21 games so far this season, 20 of them have been against teams with winning records.

Abreu did his job in the 7th, we’ll see if Pressly can do his job in the 8th. Protecting a 3 run lead right now.

Comment

• chwoodall
                              • Aug 2023

Jose Abreu need to be scooping up trash in the stands, not playing 1st base.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

• BretE
                                • Aug 2023

I got nuthin….

Comment

Working...