Astros 2024

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wfishtx
    • Aug 2023

Snell lands a 2 year deal with the Giants.

Comment

• Bandit1
      • Aug 2023

Sign montgomery.
      The artist formerly known as Johnbutte1

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
        • Nov 2023

Originally posted by wfishtx
        Snell lands a 2 year deal with the Giants.
        I see a trend here, Snell gets a two year deal, Bellinger, and Chapman get 3 year deals. All Scott Boris clients, All seeking grandfather clause contracts. 200 plus mill, all following the much publicized Correa contracts. Someone has sent out the message, We don't mind paying these guys, but we ain't paying them 30 million a year to be a mascot for life. I hope this has an influence on future deals by the Strohs with Bregman and Tucker.

Comment

• wfishtx
          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Unknownstrohsfan

I see a trend here, Snell gets a two year deal, Bellinger, and Chapman get 3 year deals. All Scott Boris clients, All seeking grandfather clause contracts. 200 plus mill, all following the much publicized Correa contracts. Someone has sent out the message, We don't mind paying these guys, but we ain't paying them 30 million a year to be a mascot for life. I hope this has an influence on future deals by the Strohs with Bregman and Tucker.
          I agree. I personally like it. Nothing worse than paying $30 plus million to a guy who’s on the downside of his career. Pujols comes to mind.

I think those 10-12 year contracts are becoming a thing of the past. Deals like Correa signed (5-6 years) is about the most a team is going to commit in the future. I’m sure they’ll be some exceptions but shorter deals for more money will become more of the rule in my opinion.

Comment

• Jdusek
            • Aug 2023

Originally posted by wfishtx

I agree. I personally like it. Nothing worse than paying $30 plus million to a guy who’s on the downside of his career. Pujols comes to mind.

I think those 10-12 year contracts are becoming a thing of the past. Deals like Correa signed (5-6 years) is about the most a team is going to commit in the future. I’m sure they’ll be some exceptions but shorter deals for more money will become more of the rule in my opinion.
            I am with you all here. I cannot think of one of 10+ year deals work out.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
              • Nov 2023

My thought is if all these primo players are getting bogged down in contract negotiations, only to sign short term deals, with the opt out clause, and do it all again next year, if you stay healthy. In the old days, if you were happy, and fit in with your club, you worked the contract, and made a gazzilion dollars there. Might even mean you didn't make $30 mill every year, just most years.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                • Nov 2023

Another good day for Pena and McCormick, I hope that winds up being a thing at the bottom of the order.

Comment

• Unknownstrohsfan
                  • Nov 2023

Last day in West PB, then a couple exibition games with the Skeeters, I mean space cadets, then the Yanks come marching in.

Comment

• Bocephus
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Unknownstrohsfan
                    My thought is if all these primo players are getting bogged down in contract negotiations, only to sign short term deals, with the opt out clause, and do it all again next year, if you stay healthy. In the old days, if you were happy, and fit in with your club, you worked the contract, and made a gazzilion dollars there. Might even mean you didn't make $30 mill every year, just most years.
                    And if you’re really happy playing with your current team, love the fans, etc. You might chase the money, and end up on a team of misfits, and have horrible fans…I can think of several teams, and cities like that.

I would think any ball player would love playing for the Astros and our fans.
                    I miss the America I grew up in.

Comment

• wfishtx
                      • Aug 2023

Verlander does well in his second live BP session. Was hitting 95 on the gun and said he felt really good. Rehab starts are likely the next step. Maybe we'll see him sooner rather than later. I believe he has an innings pitched incentive in his contract, so maybe that'll be some motivation for him to get back out there.

Comment

• awesum
                        • Aug 2023

Because Blanco was a disaster last year I've never been a fan but he's having a really good spring.

Comment

• wfishtx
                          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by awesum
                          Because Blanco was a disaster last year I've never been a fan but he's having a really good spring.
                          He has officially made the roster and the rotation following his 10k performance yesterday against the Space Cowboys.

Comment

• wfishtx
                            • Aug 2023

Montgomery signs with the Diamondbacks. Curious if the Astros even made an attempt at signing him. I haven't heard anything. There sure are a lot of question marks with the rotation this season. I think that might be the downfall if the Astros don't have another successful run this year.

Comment

• bluefin
                              • Aug 2023

From recollection - the last several years the Astros started off pretty slow. Hopefully they start with a little fire this year.

Comment

• wfishtx
                                • Aug 2023

Not the best way to start off 2024. Good thing is they have 161 more to go.

Comment

Working...